UC Davis (Full Scholly) vs W&M ($$) vs Wake ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

Poll ended at Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 am

UC Davis
60%
William and Mary
40%
Wake
No votes
Shoot for WUSTL/UNC
No votes

Total votes: 5

wallstreet

UC Davis (Full Scholly) vs W&M ($$) vs Wake ($$)

Postby wallstreet » Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 am

Having a difficult time making a decision here. My ultimate goal after graduating is to land corporate big law in one of the major urban cities on the coasts (NY, DC, SF, or LA). I am also on the wait list at WUSTL and UNC (oddly).

COA: *Disclaimer parents are significantly helping to pay for school* - UC Davis pretty much gave me a full ride. The only costs that I would accrue would be living expenses. William and Mary gave me a nice scholarship that puts total COA under $100k. Wake's COA would be around $80k with their scholarship applied.

I am from the southeast and have strong ties to the area. What appeals to me about UC Davis besides the $ is that it would open up the California market for me (which I currently have no ties). What leaves me a little concerned is that I won't be able to make it out to Sacramento/Davis before the June 1st tuition deadline so I won't be able to get a good feel of the school and the surrounding area. William and Mary is a great school, however when I visited Williamsburg, it left a lot to be desired. Wake is a good school and is closest to home, yet is more regional in it's placement reach.

Opinions? Advice?

cavalier1138

Re: UC Davis (Full Scholly) vs W&M ($$) vs Wake ($$)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:37 am

First, more information (LSAT/GPA, etc., as requested in the sticky at the top of this forum) would be helpful.

But based on what you've said, none of these schools are good for your goals. Please read the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262376

Of the schools you're in at, W&M gives the best outcomes for biglaw/fedclerk, and it's 25%. UNC is a little bit better, and WashU is a step up from that, but even those schools have an extremely low chance of placing you in the cities you want to work in.

So your best option here is none of the above. Without seeing your stats, it's impossible to say for sure, but a retake is most likely your best course. Your other option would be to significantly adjust your ambitions, because biglaw in a big city is not going to be a likely outcome from any of these schools.

A@M_or_bust

Postby A@M_or_bust » Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 am

wallstreet wrote:Having a difficult time making a decision here. My ultimate goal after graduating is to land corporate big law in one of the major urban cities on the coasts (NY, DC, SF, or LA). I am also on the wait list at WUSTL and UNC (oddly).

COA: *Disclaimer parents are significantly helping to pay for school* - UC Davis pretty much gave me a full ride. The only costs that I would accrue would be living expenses. William and Mary gave me a nice scholarship that puts total COA under $100k. Wake's COA would be around $80k with their scholarship applied.

I am from the southeast and have strong ties to the area. What appeals to me about UC Davis besides the $ is that it would open up the California market for me (which I currently have no ties). What leaves me a little concerned is that I won't be able to make it out to Sacramento/Davis before the June 1st tuition deadline so I won't be able to get a good feel of the school and the surrounding area. William and Mary is a great school, however when I visited Williamsburg, it left a lot to be desired. Wake is a good school and is closest to home, yet is more regional in it's placement reach.

Opinions? Advice?

You need to go to a T14 with this goal in mind.

The schools you listed place 12-19% in big law. Do not go to either of these schools - you would just be wasting your parents' money.

How many times did you take the LSAT and what is your undergraduate GPA? You should really retake and reapply next year. Law school isn't going anywhere.

Also, do not go to a law school across the country where you have no ties unless it is a T14.

wallstreet

Postby wallstreet » Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 am

GPA: 3.72 from a top 5 public university

LSAT: 153. Standardized tests are not my forte :(

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu May 19, 2016 11:49 am

wallstreet wrote:GPA: 3.72 from a top 5 public university

Sounds like a cop-out if you were able to get into a top 5 public uni (it's okay...You can say UNC). Can't tell if you are URM either. Either way, you should retake. 160+ LSAT (the higher the better) and URM (if you are) can get you Duke with your gpa.

A@M_or_bust

Postby A@M_or_bust » Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am

Okay. So as far as I understand it, it doesn't matter under what circumstances (school and/or major) you earned your GPA. However, you do have a very nice GPA and it would be a shame to waste it on a 153 LSAT.

The LSAT is a VERY learnable test. Don't sell yourself short - I am sure you can crack a 165. How long did you prep and what materials did you use? Did you only take it once? Which was your weakest section? For most people, logic games is the easiest is to improve on and to get a perfect score.

Also, if you really think standardized tests aren't your thing, then you should think twice before going to law school. Success in law school is almost entirely predicated on your ability to perform better than your classmates on a number of standardized tests at the end of a semester.

However, you got a 3.7 gpa at a good school. Perhaps standardized tests isn't the issue, but you just really want to go to law school this year.

wallstreet

Postby wallstreet » Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:

Okay. So as far as I understand it, it doesn't matter under what circumstances (school and/or major) you earned your GPA. However, you do have a very nice GPA and it would be a shame to waste it on a 153 LSAT.

The LSAT is a VERY learnable test. Don't sell yourself short - I am sure you can crack a 165. How long did you prep and what materials did you use? Did you only take it once? Which was your weakest section? For most people, logic games is the easiest is to improve on and to get a perfect score.

Also, if you really think standardized tests aren't your thing, then you should think twice before going to law school. Success in law school is almost entirely predicated on your ability to perform better than your classmates on a number of standardized tests at the end of a semester.

However, you got a 3.7 gpa at a good school. Perhaps standardized tests isn't the issue, but you just really want to go to law school this year.

All fair points. I took a PowerScore class with an in-person instructor and did self prep for months over this past summer for the October test. My best section was LG. LR was my worst.

I do very much want to go to law school this year. In a way I'm ready to get the ball rolling as I've already taken a year off from school since graduating. I understand though the importance of making a smart decision, not an impulsive one.

A@M_or_bust

Postby A@M_or_bust » Thu May 19, 2016 12:13 pm

wallstreet wrote:
A@M_or_bust wrote:

All fair points. I took a PowerScore class with an in-person instructor and did self prep for months over this past summer for the October test. My best section was LG. LR was my worst.

I do very much want to go to law school this year. In a way I'm ready to get the ball rolling as I've already taken a year off from school since graduating. I understand though the importance of making a smart decision, not an impulsive one.

I am glad you understand how important of a decision this is.

I understand that it can be frustrating being out of school and feeling like you aren't doing anything with your life because you aren't in school for another year. But life is a long ride (for most anyway) - taking another year off to maximize your potential before attending law school is the correct, mature decision. Study like hell for the LSAT - the LSAT Trainer was a great supplement that I used - and max out your LSAT takes and get into a T14 school. You can do it.

A@M_or_bust

Postby A@M_or_bust » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:
wallstreet wrote:
A@M_or_bust wrote:

I am glad you understand how important of a decision this is.

I understand that it can be frustrating being out of school and feeling like you aren't doing anything with your life because you aren't in school for another year. But life is a long ride (for most anyway) - taking another year off to maximize your potential before attending law school is the correct, mature decision. Study like hell for the LSAT - the LSAT Trainer was a great supplement that I used - and max out your LSAT takes and get into a T14 school. You can do it.

And hey, if you don't succeed in cracking a 165 or getting into a T14, it's all good. At least you didn't sell yourself short and not try. Also, you avoided (most likely) making a bad decision in attending either of these schools.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:38 pm

You have to retake. Biglaw out of these schools is very unlikely.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:41 pm

lymenheimer wrote:

Sounds like a cop-out if you were able to get into a top 5 public uni (it's okay...You can say UNC). Can't tell if you are URM either. Either way, you should retake. 160+ LSAT (the higher the better) and URM (if you are) can get you Duke with your gpa.

I can't see how else a 153 would cop a full ride.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”