UVA ($$$) vs. Chicago ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TraderMing

UVA ($$$) vs. Chicago ($)

Postby TraderMing » Wed May 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Having a lot of trouble making a decision--had my mind set on Chicago, I even let my family and friends know I was going and put down a deposit, but I recently received an excellent offer from UVA's waitlist that's left me split two ways and horribly confused at what to do. Basically, I need help.

COA: This is a factor of huge importance to me, as I am financing my education entirely through loans.
Chicago with 45k scholarship=$235,000. I have yet to negotiate with the school, and could possibly get them to raise their offer.
UVA with 126k (post-negotiation) scholarship=$113,000.

I am from the southeast but have no ties to either school/city. I want my career to eventually take me to a major city, but I have no preference at all towards job location beyond ending up in an urban area. I am dead set on a career in P.I., which makes me lean towards UVA purely on the amount of debt Uchi would leave me to deal with. Chicago has a slightly more generous LRAP, but in many ways the two programs are virtually identical.

My brain is telling me that UVA may be the better option, but the last few months of my life have revolved around attending UChicago, finding an apartment, and making connections in the city. I was convinced I would be attending the school up until this week.

Am I stupid for even debating this? Opinions? Advice?

stego

Re: UVA ($$$) vs. Chicago ($)

Postby stego » Wed May 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Go to UVA.

somethingElse

Postby somethingElse » Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Negotiate with Chicago. But also do keep in mind (I'm a 0L so not sure how big a factor it really is) that very few people from Chicago go into PI each year.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Congrats on getting a great scholarship to UVA off of the waitlist. I just think that's interesting considering they've been adamant with us admitted students since March that they had absolutely no more money to give out in merit aid and there was no negotiating that.

ETA: I'm voting UVA

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 am

Who cares what you've been telling people. Tell them you got a great scholarship at UVA and move on. It's not like they'll be let down. It's not even summer yet so you have a bunch of time to find housing in Cville.

Go to UVA.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:57 am

OtterLaw wrote:Congrats on getting a great scholarship to UVA off of the waitlist. I just think that's interesting considering they've been adamant with us admitted students since March that they had absolutely no more money to give out in merit aid and there was no negotiating that.

ETA: I'm voting UVA

They probably had a decent amount of money free up after deposit deadlines. Also, schools may specifically earmark scholarship money for ppl admitted off of the waitlist.

OP, go to UVA.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 am

Negotiate.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri May 20, 2016 10:51 am

Go Hoos.

BillClinton Jr

Postby BillClinton Jr » Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 am

UVA

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 am

Negotiate with Chicago, if they don't budge then just go to UVA.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm

UVA and never look back

Return to “Choosing a Law School”