Power-rank the top 5 law schools in Texas and why Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
p1921

Bronze

Re: Power-rank the top 5 law schools in Texas and why

Post by p1921 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 am

mornincounselor wrote:
BeatriceButler wrote:
p1921 wrote:1. UT (if you want to work in Texas, particularly biglaw)
2a. SMU (if you want Dallas)
2b. UH (if you want Houston)
4a. Baylor (if you're content doing litigation in a small firm in Waco or surrounding, and being miserable during law school)
4b. Tech (if you don't mind working in West Texas the rest of your life)
4c. St. Mary's (if you want San Antonio)

Don't consider Wesleyan/A&M, Texas Southern, South Texas, UNT. I also don't know where the LSU came from, I haven't met or heard of any attorneys from LSU. I think there are probably a decent number of people from OU who come back to Texas as well, but it'll take more leg work than it would if went to law school in TX.

Depends on what your goals are. Also, like was said above, T14 is probably about on par with UT, particularly if you have ties to Texas.

edit: SMU should only be attended with significant aid/someone else footing the bill. Sticker at SMU is ridiculous and it amazes me that people pay that much.
How much scholarship $ would it take to be considered significant aid from SMU in your opinion?
Assuming your singular goal is a job (any) in Dallas, I think it still has to be very close to a full ride. Just CoL there via loans is nearly $100k (perhaps they overestimate more than most schools?) Considering I think UT is a significantly better school and I wouldn't advise taking on much more than $140ish all day for UT, there's not much room here imo.
COL shouldn't be near $100k. You've got to account for money you'll make as a summer associate, clerk during the school year, family help, SO's job, etc. (whatever your situation may be). I haven't run into anyone who is going to be footing the bill for $100k of COL loans. Just about everyone has money saved, parental help, SO, or similar.

I understand that not everyone is fortunate enough to be in that position, but that much for COL + tuition (even with scholarship) makes SMU an indefensible choice in my opinion.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Surprised South Texas has yet to be named

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:06 am

BigZuck wrote:
beachgirl wrote:1. UT - Hard to get into though unless you have top LSAT scores and grades. Austin is great.
2. OU - they have a lot of Texas residents as students and many return to Texas to practice law/intern. Very good law school and Norman/OKC is great to live in. Also very reasonable cost of living. Well worth considering if you want to go to school in/near Texas.
3. SMU - Pricey and very small. Nice school though but Dallas and school is expensive.
4. Baylor - small and you have to live in Waco.
5. Houston
Over 20% of OU law students w/ jobs land in Texas. It's a reasonable option if you have significant scholarships, want to stay in the region (probably Oklahoma and the DFW area mainly), and don't care at all about big law.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 am

stego wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
beachgirl wrote:1. UT - Hard to get into though unless you have top LSAT scores and grades. Austin is great.
2. OU - they have a lot of Texas residents as students and many return to Texas to practice law/intern. Very good law school and Norman/OKC is great to live in. Also very reasonable cost of living. Well worth considering if you want to go to school in/near Texas.
3. SMU - Pricey and very small. Nice school though but Dallas and school is expensive.
4. Baylor - small and you have to live in Waco.
5. Houston
Over 20% of OU law students w/ jobs land in Texas. It's a reasonable option if you have significant scholarships, want to stay in the region (probably Oklahoma and the DFW area mainly), and don't care at all about big law.
It sure ain't the number 2 law school in TX

It's fine if you want to work in OK. I wouldn't go there if you want to work in DFW, Baylor (but more realistically probably SMU) would be the lowest ranked TX school I would choose if I wanted DFW.

IMO

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:56 pm

There is only one law school in Texas that gives you a reasonable chance of making law school a net positive investment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”