UVA v. Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
captainamerica

UVA v. Chicago

Postby captainamerica » Mon May 16, 2016 3:32 pm

I am deciding between UVA and Chicago. I have practically identical scholarships for both schools, so money isn't a part of the decision. I am not positive what kind of law I want to practice, but I am interested in possibly doing a judicial clerkship. I would prefer a less competitive environment. I do love Chicago as a city, but I was very impressed with the people and opportunities at UVA. Any information/opinions on the two schools would be helpful!

somethingElse

Re: UVA v. Chicago

Postby somethingElse » Mon May 16, 2016 3:34 pm

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Mon May 16, 2016 3:41 pm

captainamerica wrote:I am deciding between UVA and Chicago. I have practically identical scholarships for both schools, so money isn't a part of the decision. I am not positive what kind of law I want to practice, but I am interested in possibly doing a judicial clerkship. I would prefer a less competitive environment. I do love Chicago as a city, but I was very impressed with the people and opportunities at UVA. Any information/opinions on the two schools would be helpful!

Barring a very high COA, I would go where you think you'll have the best opportunity to succeed. Chicago has the better reputation and, if all things are equal, you would probably be best served going there. Unless there is something so terrible about Chicago or so amazing about UVA, that's where I would go.

That being said, if I were picking, I would pick UVA. Charlottesville and UVA were the right spot for me to earn my law degree.

obx

Postby obx » Mon May 16, 2016 3:51 pm

captainamerica wrote:I am deciding between UVA and Chicago. I have practically identical scholarships for both schools, so money isn't a part of the decision. I am not positive what kind of law I want to practice, but I am interested in possibly doing a judicial clerkship. I would prefer a less competitive environment. I do love Chicago as a city, but I was very impressed with the people and opportunities at UVA. Any information/opinions on the two schools would be helpful!

Easily Chicago, especially if you like the city.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Need more info. What are your career goals and location preferences?

RedWhite&Blonde

Postby RedWhite&Blonde » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm

If you don't want a competitive environment, I would avoid UChicago.

Goldchain

Postby Goldchain » Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Chicago easily. And competition is a reality at any school and job for that matter.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:If you don't want a competitive environment, I would avoid UChicago.

This is false. The atmosphere here isn't at all competitive-feeling; people feel confident they will have great job options; even we pre-OCI 1Ls are chill.

Hope you choose UofC, but both are great schools; given the option to choose again, I'd definitely still choose UofC.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 am

Agree that UChicago isn't competitive. Not sure where that comes from but it's not at all how I have experienced it.

SoCalTacos

Postby SoCalTacos » Tue May 17, 2016 12:23 am

We can all give our subjective opinions here, or you can look to some real statistics.

I would look at employment data and clerkship percentages, etc... (if those factors are important to you).

I think there's a clear answer, but obviously that's only something you can answer yourself after researching everything you need to.

RedWhite&Blonde

Postby RedWhite&Blonde » Tue May 17, 2016 1:39 pm

landshoes wrote:Agree that UChicago isn't competitive. Not sure where that comes from but it's not at all how I have experienced it.

They have a reputation for being more academic than other schools. That's either good or bad depending on what you want out of a law school.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue May 17, 2016 3:11 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
landshoes wrote:Agree that UChicago isn't competitive. Not sure where that comes from but it's not at all how I have experienced it.

They have a reputation for being more academic than other schools. That's either good or bad depending on what you want out of a law school.

I go to UChicago, I'm aware of what it's like here. I'm not really sure what the reputation of a school can tell you about it.

If you're implying that we work harder than the people at UVa or that it's harder to succeed here, I'm not sure that's accurate. I'm sure people there work plenty hard (unless they don't, and some people here are the same way.)

captainamerica

Postby captainamerica » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Rigo wrote:Need more info. What are your career goals and location preferences?

I am interested in the Chicago area or Los Angeles. I know those are very different markets.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue May 17, 2016 5:26 pm

captainamerica wrote:
Rigo wrote:Need more info. What are your career goals and location preferences?

I am interested in the Chicago area or Los Angeles. I know those are very different markets.

UChicago then.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Chicago can get you to both of those markets, obviously; I know a few people are doing summer jobs in LA 1L year and Chicago is a no-brainer.

Frankly, they're both great schools that can provide you with excellent opportunities. To me, being interested in Chicago would be a tiebreaker. But again, I don't think that you can go wrong.

platypus4

Postby platypus4 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Definitely UChicago, especially if you might end up working in Chicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”