Deleted Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
confusedinill

New

Deleted

Post by confusedinill » Thu May 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Deleted
Last edited by confusedinill on Thu May 12, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Silver

Re: University of Chicago or John Marshall Law?

Post by mornincounselor » Thu May 12, 2016 5:39 pm

C'mon man. This smells very trolly.

You're telling us the only schools you are considering are UChicago and John Marshall? You should have a fantastic offer from Northwestern, full rides from WUSTL, etc.

GFox345

Bronze

Re: University of Chicago or John Marshall Law?

Post by GFox345 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:48 pm

confusedinill wrote:I am currently 27 years of age, and I work with my dad at his construction business in Chicago. His business is not booming, but he does decent ($150,000). With that said, I started working for my dad after I graduated college. I made about $100,000 the last 5 years but I also worked about 65 hours per week every damn week. I know that this career is not what I want to spend my life doing. The freezing cold winters, the back breaking work, the fear of getting hurt, etc.

I recently applied to 2 law schools after spending several years thinking about it. University of Chicago and John Marshall Law School. Both schools I have been accepted to. With UoC, I would be going full time with no scholarship. But, I would be able to graduate with 0 debt because the money I saved through working 5 years and living home with dad. Savings = drained. With JMLS, I would be going part-time and (due to scholarships and small help from step-mom) I would be going for free. I also live like 2 blocks away. Keep in mind, I wouldn't have to touch the huge chunk I saved with JMLS. I would have upwards of like $375,000 saved up upon graduation since I would keep working at my dad's business. The old man also agreed to work with my schedule so I can attend night classes.

I have a dilemma, and I need some help. If I go to UoC, I will come out with no debt, no money saved, but good options due to rank. BUT, with JMLS, I would come out with no debt almost $375,000 saved BUT poor options.

I want to be a trial attorney. I have an interest in criminal defense and also civil law as well. I do have an interest in BigLaw too due to the money, but it comes second to trial work. I feel JMLS is initially a better choice because the massive chunk of change I would have coming out. At the same time, I feel UoC would provide so much better options...and lead to me ultimately making the money back up in time

What do you guys think?
We're going to need a lot more information about you to know what you should do - like your GPA, your LSAT and how many times you've taken it, and whether or not you are a URM. Honestly, your situation seems a little weird to me. There should be some happy medium here. If you were able to get into the U of C, you should have several options in the lower t-14 with decent money and a chance at getting into NU with a full scholarship. Did you only apply to John Marshall and the U of C? Even if you want to stay in Chicago, there are plenty of better schools at which you could get a full ride and maybe more like IIT, Loyola, and Depaul or as I said earler maybe even Northwestern (they love applicants like you with 5+ years of work experience).

My answer, knowing what little I know, is this: If you have numbers that got you into the U of C, do not under ANY circumstances go to John Marshall - even for free. You should have way better options than that. If you only applied to those two schools this cycle, you have to just accept that you made a bad decision and wait another year. Next year blanket the T-14, maybe retake the LSAT in the meantime, and get a full ride at Northwestern or Cornell or something like that. You must have impressive stats if you got into the U of C. Do not waste them by going to a ShiTTThole or to the U of C for sticker. The U of C is an amazing school, but it is definitely not worth ~300k. And don't worry about being 27. 28 is not even that old for Law School - especially at a T-14.

Retake, craft a spotless application including essays, apply early, and cash the fuck in, man.

somethingElse

Gold

Re: Deleted

Post by somethingElse » Thu May 12, 2016 5:52 pm

^ Lol nice snipe.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Deleted

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 pm

OP, you need to pick one account and stick with it (and ideally a consistent story, too).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”