UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:14 pm

-The schools you are considering : UC Davis & Loyola-LA, Waitlisted @ UC Irvine

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. : Davis- $20,000; Loyola- $60,000

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings : Loans & SO

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) : From Los Angeles, friends and family in LA, and significant connections to City Attorney's Office and Fed. PD

-Your general career goals : Government PD/Prosecutor in the Los Angeles area

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers : 164, 3.3

-How many times you have taken the LSAT : no more retakes


I've tried negotiating my scholarships, and I was surprised that Loyola would not budge ("but will be considered for more aid if available"). Will try again before second seat deposit (tips are welcome).

Second seat deposit is fast approaching, so any advice would be much appreciated. Despite whether I choose Loyola or Davis, I will most likely do my summer internships in Los Angeles. Hesitant to move to Davis because of SO does not want to.

eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby eaternation » Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Good job keeping the debt low. If you want to live in LA, I think Loyola has a slight advantage because of the network and ability to intern during the year. Davis is higher ranked but for PD/DA hiring, I don't think their US news ratings is a significant factor. It does have a lower COA though. Would you be ok ending up in NorCal?

Few questions that might change the advice

Where are you currently living? You are from LA. You want to work in LA. I am assuming you live in LA?

Your significant other doesn't want to move to Davis. Do you see yourselves getting married/staying together? Does he/she have a job that allows her to transfer (or can she find a job easily that pays similarly)?

Government PD/Prosecutor. Does that mean local or fed pd?

Also, just so you know, it's very, very unlikely that you'll get hired as a PD before your bar results come back. You'll be working for free until after your results come back. I am leaving CA because FDSD is the only PD that hires prebar. They hired 3 people this year. Other PDs hire pre-bar but not full time (if anyone knows better feel free to correct me).

Prosecutors do hire pre-bar from my understanding.

Lastly, PD v Prosecution is very different. Just know interning at a Prosecutors office will make it harder to get a PD job (not impossible but harder).

User avatar
queenb921

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:18 am

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby queenb921 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:50 pm

For what it's worth Loyola has said that they don't negotiate scholarships on an individual basis, but rather they increase scholarships for certain groups of students when/if more money becomes available.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:56 pm

eaternation wrote:Good job keeping the debt low. If you want to live in LA, I think Loyola has a slight advantage because of the network and ability to intern during the year. Davis is higher ranked but for PD/DA hiring, I don't think their US news ratings is a significant factor. It does have a lower COA though. Would you be ok ending up in NorCal?

Few questions that might change the advice

Where are you currently living? You are from LA. You want to work in LA. I am assuming you live in LA?

Your significant other doesn't want to move to Davis. Do you see yourselves getting married/staying together? Does he/she have a job that allows her to transfer (or can she find a job easily that pays similarly)?

Government PD/Prosecutor. Does that mean local or fed pd?

Also, just so you know, it's very, very unlikely that you'll get hired as a PD before your bar results come back. You'll be working for free until after your results come back. I am leaving CA because FDSD is the only PD that hires prebar. They hired 3 people this year. Other PDs hire pre-bar but not full time (if anyone knows better feel free to correct me).

Prosecutors do hire pre-bar from my understanding.

Lastly, PD v Prosecution is very different. Just know interning at a Prosecutors office will make it harder to get a PD job (not impossible but harder).



Thanks so much for the response. I would be open to working in NorCal, but would definitely prefer SoCal. And you guessed right- I currently live in Los Angeles and have all my life. My SO and I are married, no kids, but it would be hard for them to just pick up and find work up north. They would support my decision to choose Davis; however, I don't want them to be miserable either.

I'm not certain about whether I'd prefer PD to prosecutor, or local to fed. I'm hoping I'd have a better grasp of specifics while in law school. Currently, with the limited exposure I have had, I'm leaning more towards being a prosecutor.

And thanks so much about the insight regarding pre-bar hires. I had no idea, and sometimes I feel as though I don't know much of anything about the subject.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:06 pm

queenb921 wrote:For what it's worth Loyola has said that they don't negotiate scholarships on an individual basis, but rather they increase scholarships for certain groups of students when/if more money becomes available.


That's the response I got when I tried negotiating. I'm just nervous about committing to Loyola without having a firm, guaranteed $$$. With my current scholarship, I'm leaning towards Davis just because I have no idea what Loyola's increase will be (if I even get one). Do you happen to know when Loyola typically increases aid?

User avatar
Nachoo2019

Silver
Posts: 798
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Alexie0423 wrote:
eaternation wrote:Good job keeping the debt low. If you want to live in LA, I think Loyola has a slight advantage because of the network and ability to intern during the year. Davis is higher ranked but for PD/DA hiring, I don't think their US news ratings is a significant factor. It does have a lower COA though. Would you be ok ending up in NorCal?

Few questions that might change the advice

Where are you currently living? You are from LA. You want to work in LA. I am assuming you live in LA?

Your significant other doesn't want to move to Davis. Do you see yourselves getting married/staying together? Does he/she have a job that allows her to transfer (or can she find a job easily that pays similarly)?

Government PD/Prosecutor. Does that mean local or fed pd?

Also, just so you know, it's very, very unlikely that you'll get hired as a PD before your bar results come back. You'll be working for free until after your results come back. I am leaving CA because FDSD is the only PD that hires prebar. They hired 3 people this year. Other PDs hire pre-bar but not full time (if anyone knows better feel free to correct me).

Prosecutors do hire pre-bar from my understanding.

Lastly, PD v Prosecution is very different. Just know interning at a Prosecutors office will make it harder to get a PD job (not impossible but harder).



Thanks so much for the response. I would be open to working in NorCal, but would definitely prefer SoCal. And you guessed right- I currently live in Los Angeles and have all my life.My SO and I are married, no kids, but it would be hard for them to just pick up and find work up north. They would support my decision to choose Davis; however, I don't want them to be miserable either.

I'm not certain about whether I'd prefer PD to prosecutor, or local to fed. I'm hoping I'd have a better grasp of specifics while in law school. Currently, with the limited exposure I have had, I'm leaning more towards being a prosecutor.

And thanks so much about the insight regarding pre-bar hires. I had no idea, and sometimes I feel as though I don't know much of anything about the subject.



Hands down Loyola simply because of what I bolded. 40k is worth it to stay where you live/grew up and where your SO already has work. Idk what your SO's salary and work situation is but if your SO can't find work for the first 6-8 months in Nor Cal it could cost you the 40k or more anyways.

Also, 60k total COA from Loyola is a perfectly doable outcome if you want to stay in LA/SoCal IMO.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
Alexie0423 wrote:
eaternation wrote:Good job keeping the debt low. If you want to live in LA, I think Loyola has a slight advantage because of the network and ability to intern during the year. Davis is higher ranked but for PD/DA hiring, I don't think their US news ratings is a significant factor. It does have a lower COA though. Would you be ok ending up in NorCal?

Few questions that might change the advice

Where are you currently living? You are from LA. You want to work in LA. I am assuming you live in LA?

Your significant other doesn't want to move to Davis. Do you see yourselves getting married/staying together? Does he/she have a job that allows her to transfer (or can she find a job easily that pays similarly)?

Government PD/Prosecutor. Does that mean local or fed pd?

Also, just so you know, it's very, very unlikely that you'll get hired as a PD before your bar results come back. You'll be working for free until after your results come back. I am leaving CA because FDSD is the only PD that hires prebar. They hired 3 people this year. Other PDs hire pre-bar but not full time (if anyone knows better feel free to correct me).

Prosecutors do hire pre-bar from my understanding.

Lastly, PD v Prosecution is very different. Just know interning at a Prosecutors office will make it harder to get a PD job (not impossible but harder).



Thanks so much for the response. I would be open to working in NorCal, but would definitely prefer SoCal. And you guessed right- I currently live in Los Angeles and have all my life.My SO and I are married, no kids, but it would be hard for them to just pick up and find work up north. They would support my decision to choose Davis; however, I don't want them to be miserable either.

I'm not certain about whether I'd prefer PD to prosecutor, or local to fed. I'm hoping I'd have a better grasp of specifics while in law school. Currently, with the limited exposure I have had, I'm leaning more towards being a prosecutor.

And thanks so much about the insight regarding pre-bar hires. I had no idea, and sometimes I feel as though I don't know much of anything about the subject.



Hands down Loyola simply because of what I bolded. 40k is worth it to stay where you live/grew up and where your SO already has work. Idk what your SO's salary and work situation is but if your SO can't find work for the first 6-8 months in Nor Cal it could cost you the 40k or more anyways.

Also, 60k total COA from Loyola is a perfectly doable outcome if you want to stay in LA/SoCal IMO.


Good point about the SO and job search/time consideration.

User avatar
queenb921

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:18 am

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby queenb921 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:27 pm

Alexie0423 wrote:
queenb921 wrote:For what it's worth Loyola has said that they don't negotiate scholarships on an individual basis, but rather they increase scholarships for certain groups of students when/if more money becomes available.


That's the response I got when I tried negotiating. I'm just nervous about committing to Loyola without having a firm, guaranteed $$$. With my current scholarship, I'm leaning towards Davis just because I have no idea what Loyola's increase will be (if I even get one). Do you happen to know when Loyola typically increases aid?


From everything I've heard there is no designated time period during which they increase scholarships. Increases can happen up until the start of classes, basically.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 pm

queenb921 wrote:
Alexie0423 wrote:
queenb921 wrote:For what it's worth Loyola has said that they don't negotiate scholarships on an individual basis, but rather they increase scholarships for certain groups of students when/if more money becomes available.


That's the response I got when I tried negotiating. I'm just nervous about committing to Loyola without having a firm, guaranteed $$$. With my current scholarship, I'm leaning towards Davis just because I have no idea what Loyola's increase will be (if I even get one). Do you happen to know when Loyola typically increases aid?


From everything I've heard there is no designated time period during which they increase scholarships. Increases can happen up until the start of classes, basically.


Hm.... I hope the increases are generous.

AJS

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby AJS » Wed May 11, 2016 3:41 pm

.

eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby eaternation » Wed May 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Also just wanted to clarify that lack of pre-bar hiring applies to CA PD offices (other than FDSD). Out of state offices do hire pre-bar.

I think DA offices hire pre-bar (even in CA) but I have no expertise there.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Rigo » Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 pm

I'd go Loyola. Wait out as long as possible before committing though in hopes they increase your scholly. It sucks they're being stingy.

Having the stability of your current home and SO's current job is worth the $40k IMO. Plus you want SoCal.

User avatar
ManoftheHour

Gold
Posts: 3486
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Rigo wrote:I'd go Loyola. Wait out as long as possible before committing though in hopes they increase your scholly. It sucks they're being stingy.

Having the stability of your current home and SO's current job is worth the $40k IMO. Plus you want SoCal.


This. During my cycle, they bumped me up to full ride + books after the 2nd deposit deadline passed without me depositing and I had chosen another school.

If not, I'd go anyway given your situation.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Rigo wrote:I'd go Loyola. Wait out as long as possible before committing though in hopes they increase your scholly. It sucks they're being stingy.

Having the stability of your current home and SO's current job is worth the $40k IMO. Plus you want SoCal.



Unfortunately, I already paid my first seat deposit and the second deposit is quickly approaching (May 31). Any tips on how to move forward with negotiations?

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:22 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'd go Loyola. Wait out as long as possible before committing though in hopes they increase your scholly. It sucks they're being stingy.

Having the stability of your current home and SO's current job is worth the $40k IMO. Plus you want SoCal.


This. During my cycle, they bumped me up to full ride + books after the 2nd deposit deadline passed without me depositing and I had chosen another school.

If not, I'd go anyway given your situation.



ahhhh- gotcha! Thanks!

Borhas

Platinum
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Borhas » Wed May 11, 2016 6:23 pm

They are peer schools but one is in LA so you'll be able to intern/clinic in an LA office during the semester(s) which is helpful for future employment prospects. Just doing a summer internship or two won't set you apart. Ideally you'd want to intern in either LA DA or Pub.Def for at least a semester and then also the following summer. You can only really do that with an LA school.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexie0423

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola-LA: Same story, different chump

Postby Alexie0423 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Borhas wrote:They are peer schools but one is in LA so you'll be able to intern/clinic in an LA office during the semester(s) which is helpful for future employment prospects. Just doing a summer internship or two won't set you apart. Ideally you'd want to intern in either LA DA or Pub.Def for at least a semester and then also the following summer. You can only really do that with an LA school.


Thanks- I hadn't considered opportunities that occur during the semester. I focused entirely on summer internships.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mysonx3 and 12 guests