BC for Boston Biglaw. Please critique potential decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawsohard93

New

BC for Boston Biglaw. Please critique potential decision

Postby lawsohard93 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Hey TLS,

I’d appreciate your criticism to my potential decision. I know that the common response is to retake and I do generally agree BUT please do read this in its entirety before leaving that as a one word response. I’d like criticism/feedback on this decision as a whole, not just my LSAT score. Stats: 3.3/164 (taken once).

I’m potentially going to be moving to Boston to attend BC. This is my absolute first choose because I truly want to live and work in Boston. This is not some spontaneous decision, I have genuinely considered multiple cities and Boston is where I see myself and yes, I have also visited it already, seen the law school, etc. The nature of the Boston legal market makes it difficult to break into without established ties. As someone without prior ties to the area, going to school in Boston seems like the best decision to make to establish ties and have a shot at employment. Hence, why it is my first choice.

My career goal is biglaw. I understand that biglaw from BC is not guaranteed but in terms of the Boston legal market, BC arguably does well for a regional non T-14 school. The LST scores from the class of 2015 were a little over 40% for biglaw/fed clerkship (though they count firms that are 100+ attorneys in that number and those don’t necessarily pay the market salary so this may be overestimating). So it seems that those that place in the top 1/3 of their class are in a good position for biglaw unless the economy goes down the drain again. I’ve spoken to numerous biglaw attorneys in Boston and they pretty much unanimously agreed that Boston ties can be established through BC and it does offer one of the larger shots at biglaw. It is a well respected school in the area.

My position and concerns: BC has offered my 20k/year, so my COA adjusted for interest rates is probably going to be around 150-170k max after personal and parental contributions. This is a lot of money to pay off. But for the purpose of Boston biglaw, this does seem to be my best opportunity. If I manage to snag an SA position my 2L summer, that money is going straight to tuition. But that’s all speculative. I don’t know how well I’ll do in law school, it’s not something I can predict. All I can say is I’m going to put my best foot forward and hopefully my study habits and preparation are sufficient. IF I were to retake for the purpose of more money, I MIGHT be able to get 30-45k more next cycle more depending on how high my LSAT is. If I get biglaw, I could pay that amount off in a year so the extra year off isn’t financially worth it. If I don’t get biglaw, that’s another story. I truly want BC over any T-14 school because it offers me the opportunity to establish ties to the area and work in the city I want to live in. The only thing I'm doing prior to moving is enjoying life, reading GTM and TLS guides, and working on networking with BC alumni who work in biglaw.

Please critique and provide your opinions as to my position.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: BC for Boston Biglaw. Please critique potential decision

Postby lymenheimer » Sun May 08, 2016 4:11 pm

lawsohard93 wrote:If I don’t get biglaw, that’s another story.

Retake.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Sun May 08, 2016 4:24 pm

How high can you get on a retake? If you can retake and get up 3-5 points, you should get really good money from them (and you can leverage T-14 acceptances to get even higher money from BC). If you can go even higher, though, you can probably get a fair amount of money from Cornell (you're not too far off from acceptance there, and they have stronger Boston ties than a lot of other T14s). You can also establish ties by working in Boston during your 1L summer if you end up getting a better offer elsewhere after retaking, i.e. Columbia/Chicago/Penn with money if you can score really, really well.

You're not wrong to worry about your options bc your GPA is low, but LSAT medians are continuing to go down - if you can get up there, you'll just be in a better position.

vivala

Bronze

Postby vivala » Sun May 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Boston is very big on ties. Everyone I know who has an SA this summer went to law school there and/or grew up there. Retake for $$$ at BC or BU.

mogwli

New

Postby mogwli » Sun May 08, 2016 10:35 pm

BC is a really great school if you are looking for employment in Boston. BC for $150k at least though is :? :? :? .

You basically have to think about risk/reward here.

Even if you do get biglaw from BC, at that debt level you are going to be forced into biglaw for a long time. Biglaw sucks. Really understand that most associates last like 3-5 years before they crumble. You will not be the shining start that makes partner. Example, you wouldn't be leaving biglaw for that nice in-house gig that comes up 3rd year because oh shit you still have $100k in loans and that in-house job pays half my biglaw salary.

You will have so much more career flexibility and freedom if you have ~50k less debt to pay off. I totally agree BC is a fantastic school for Boston work. I'd tell someone to go for ~$100k in debt (rare that I would ever say outside of T14), but I wouldn't ever tell someone to get for maybe $170k debt at grad.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lawsohard93 wrote:If I don’t get biglaw, that’s another story.

Retake.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Mon May 09, 2016 4:52 pm

The Boston legal market is very weak right now. I personally would not go without more money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?