American Vs CWRU Vs Maryland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EternalDebt

New

American Vs CWRU Vs Maryland

Postby EternalDebt » Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 am

Need help in deciding which law school to attend. My current offers are

American: 25k per annum Scholarship

CWRU: 38k per annum Scholarship

Maryland: 15k per annum Scholarship

I am fully aware of the bad press surrounding attendance at schools outside the T6 - T14 range. My reality is this, I am 27, took the LSAT 3-4 years ago, balked at law school, and have since been grinding in local government. My undergad gpa isn't great and my LSAT is 159. I have a fairly strong professional focus in Environmental Law / Economic Development, but have hit some walls in professional advancement. I intend to focus my J.D. in public interest/Economic-Community Development and head back into the Public Sector. American is currently my first choice as I have a rent free living situation set-up just outside DC and figure it should proffer some decent opportunity for government internships.
Any suggestions, advice, and/or insights will be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: American Vs CWRU Vs Maryland

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu May 05, 2016 9:06 am

When was your 159? How many takes? What is your GPA roughly? American may make sense for the right cost, but I'm not sure 25k/yr is the right cost

full disclosure: not at a t14 so I don't have the t14 or bust mentality, you'll actually find many people here will suggest schools outside t14 if it makes sense. Obviously we don't know all the extremely personal factors, but if you want those evaluated this is not the place. We know nothing about you and only advise what is objectively best.

EternalDebt

New

Postby EternalDebt » Thu May 05, 2016 9:13 am

December 2012 was the date of my first and only LSAT. My GPA is roughly 3.0 and marred with some medical problems which are included included in an addendum. I appreciate your candor and recognize that TLS tends to strongly advise shooting for the T6-T14 range for very good reason.

woodchuck78

Bronze

Postby woodchuck78 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:02 am

MD would be a good school for PI law and I believe they have a good environmental program too. They also have a heavy focus on experience-based learning, too, which is a plus. I'm hesitant to recommend it, though, because if you're looking to practice anywhere outside of Maryland it's gonna be a hard sell, especially at out of state tuition. If you're at in-state tuition, though, it doesn't look like that bad of an option with a $15k/year scholly. Can't comment on American/CWRU as I don't know too much about them, but with CWRU all the way in Ohio, I would imagine it'd be Ohio or bust re: employment.

LandMermaid

Bronze

Postby LandMermaid » Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 am

EternalDebt wrote:Need help in deciding which law school to attend. My current offers are

American: 25k per annum Scholarship

CWRU: 38k per annum Scholarship

Maryland: 15k per annum Scholarship

I am fully aware of the bad press surrounding attendance at schools outside the T6 - T14 range. My reality is this, I am 27, took the LSAT 3-4 years ago, balked at law school, and have since been grinding in local government. My undergad gpa isn't great and my LSAT is 159. I have a fairly strong professional focus in Environmental Law / Economic Development, but have hit some walls in professional advancement. I intend to focus my J.D. in public interest/Economic-Community Development and head back into the Public Sector. American is currently my first choice as I have a rent free living situation set-up just outside DC and figure it should proffer some decent opportunity for government internships.
Any suggestions, advice, and/or insights will be greatly appreciated.

Not saying this just on the basis of promoting T14s, but you really should consider a retake. If your GPA isn't great, your best shot at improving your options is a better LSAT score. All of these schools carry a huge risk of you ending up back at your old crappy job, or in another crappy one, with low pay and huge debts added on. If you're looking to improve your career prospects and ability for advancement, the best favor you can do for yourself and for your wife is just take a little extra time for a few extra points. An acceptance at GT, or even a really good scholarship at somewhere like GW, would allow you to take advantage of your Dc situation and majorly improve your prospects after graduation. TBH, these are pretty bad choices with extremely unconvincing price tags.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 pm

American is a shithole.
The other schools aren't great either, especially at that price point.

You should retake. It's been 4 years. You balked at law school back then with meh numbers with good reason. Why are you coming full circle to a bad decision?

EternalDebt

New

Postby EternalDebt » Thu May 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks all for the insights thus far. Out of curiosity, is American truly that horrible? Mind you, I'm not asking to desperately grasp for reasons to power forward, just curious as to why it receives a fair amount of criticism when shools like GMU or GWU don't look all that different.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm

EternalDebt wrote:Thanks all for the insights thus far. Out of curiosity, is American truly that horrible? Mind you, I'm not asking to desperately grasp for reasons to power forward, just curious as to why it receives a fair amount of criticism when shools like GMU or GWU don't look all that different.

GWU is kind of a diploma mill but it gives you much better prospects than American.
A big reason people shit on American (other than employment prospects) is that it makes you pay back your scholarship if you transfer out. So if you do really well 1L and see the light and want to get the fuck out of there, they'll make you pay sticker. That's such TTT behavior.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 pm

EternalDebt wrote:Thanks all for the insights thus far. Out of curiosity, is American truly that horrible? Mind you, I'm not asking to desperately grasp for reasons to power forward, just curious as to why it receives a fair amount of criticism when shools like GMU or GWU don't look all that different.

Just look at LST http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/

45% of the Class of 2014 was employed in full time JD required jobs 9-months after graduation.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Sat May 07, 2016 2:34 am

Your gpa addendum only becomes relevant if you have a better LSAT. Let's say they buy your addendum and don't incorporate it in any way whatsoever. You'd be judged on your LSAT, which is still below median. To have any decent option you need them to see a 3.0 GPA with medical problems and treat it like a 4.0. That won't happen. It's not that you need to go to a t-14. It's that you're very unlikely to get a decent job. If you couldn't buckle down to study for a retake in 4 years, how will you do well in law school? You can say a, b, c came up but then aren't they likely to come up again?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 am

Rigo wrote:

GWU is kind of a diploma mill but it gives you much better prospects than American.
A big reason people shit on American (other than employment prospects) is that it makes you pay back your scholarship if you transfer out. So if you do really well 1L and see the light and want to get the fuck out of there, they'll make you pay sticker. That's such TTT behavior.

Gotta be motivated by alumni donations. The full scholarship students comprise a disproportionate number of those who leave. American has either the most or second most transfers. I don't agree with what they do, but the idea has to be that a lot of would be donors are transferring out, and those paying sticker generally won't have the means to pay a mortgage so clearly won't donate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?