Duke ($) vs GULC ($) (vs Vanderbilt ($$)) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2mitj

New

Duke ($) vs GULC ($) (vs Vanderbilt ($$))

Post by 2mitj » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 am

Hi, I'm trying to choose between Duke, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt. I'm hearing from Duke and GULC about the exact amounts of scholarships any day now, but I'm expecting roughly equivalent amounts from both schools, with a confirmed fairly significant scholarship to Vandy.

I'm interested in constitutional law and government/public interest so I've been leaning towards Georgetown because of its focus on public interest, location in DC, Curriculum B, etc. Georgetown seems to have a better LRAP program than Duke as well. Likely want to end up in DC or possibly New York, so GULC's placement seems good too.

Thoughts? Advice? I know Duke is ranked a couple positions higher but I can't tell if that small of a rankings difference within the T14 would make an actual difference. Is Georgetown the right way to go? Thanks everyone in advance for your help!
Last edited by 2mitj on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraFitz

Silver

Re: Duke ($) vs GULC ($) (vs Vanderbilt ($$))

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't think you could justify going to GULC over Duke with the same amount of aid, particularly given GULCs higher COA. Even though you want public interest, the outcomes from GULC even for PI are not so great as to make it a better investment than Duke. I also don't know what amount you would be getting, but since you only put $, I would seriously consider whether either school is worth the price, particularly if you're financing everything else with loans.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”