Vandy vs WUSTL vs Sitting out Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OmarComin

New

Vandy vs WUSTL vs Sitting out

Post by OmarComin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi all,

It's getting down to decision time, and I'm afraid I'm getting cold feet. My options are:

Vanderbilt COA ~120k
WUSTL COA ~85k
Sitting out: I have a business degree, but a low GPA (3.0-3.2) means I'd have trouble finding a gig, plus the fact that i've been gearing for LS for the last 2 years means i'd be way behind on the job hunt.

I applied to Mich, Georgetown, and Northwestern. I'm on the waitlist at Northwestern but seriously doubt i'll get any money. I am unwilling to pay sticker in any event.

LSAT: 172, 1 take. Applied fairly early in the cycle (apps in around Thanksgiving). My GPA will probably be lower after this (graduating senior) semester anyway so i think reapplying would be a wash, but i'm not sure on that.

Already deposited 500 at vandy but that won't affect my decision too much. Florida is my no. 1 goal, but i'm not set enough on that to go to UF/FSU with their low employment stats. Would prefer the South compare to small-town midwest, which is where most of WUSTL's grads seem to go. Not gunning for DC/NYC biglaw as of now but wouldn't be totally opposed to it. I plan on dropping out of anywhere I go if my grades aren't top 1/3 after 1l year. I'll just bite the bullet and work a schlub job to pay back the ~30k in debt that would put me in.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

cavalier1138

Re: Vandy vs WUSTL vs Sitting out

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Well, I just want to generally advise against dropping out just because you're not in the top 1/3 of the class, but that's up to you.

If you want to work in the South, then Vandy's your best bet here. You've already spotted that WashU would be better for placing you in the Midwest, but since that's not where you want to go, I think Vandy's worth the extra 35k.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:22 am

I would sit out. You say you can't really get a job now, but you will be able to do so after dropping out? A year of working experience will help you a lot. Plus you could apply from day 1. You are guaranteed to have better outcomes that way, and its not really hard stuff to just sit out.

Edit: if you will be dropping out below 1/3, then maybe you should consider UF more heavily. Being top 10% at either school will probably give close to identical job placement opportunities in FL. And I am pretty sure you will get full scholarship. Dropping out would also be much less detrimental if need be. I would actually say that you should go to UF at full scholly if FL is your goal.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 am

Vandy's employment for BL+FC for c/o 2015 was like 47%. Not bad at all. You'll be fine there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”