Best schools for XC skiers and outdoorsmen?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jstanhope14

New

Best schools for XC skiers and outdoorsmen?

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Does anyone have any insight into which law schools provide the best environment for people who love outdoor sports? (e.g. cross country skiing, trail running, camping, etc.)

Any with a noticeably low cost of living?

Thanks

jphiggo

Bronze

Re: Best schools for XC skiers and outdoorsmen?

Postby jphiggo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Skiing, hiking, etc. were all activities high on my secondary list of factors to consider. Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the Bay Area in general, etc. are great places to visit and have in your backyard. UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Stanford, etc.. there's plenty of options out west!

mrsomebody

New

Postby mrsomebody » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:14 pm

jphiggo wrote:Skiing, hiking, etc. were all activities high on my secondary list of factors to consider. Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the Bay Area in general, etc. are great places to visit and have in your backyard. UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Stanford, etc.. there's plenty of options out west!

Berkeley and Stanford are 3+ hours from any sort of quality XC skiing. Not bad for trail running though. From first hand experience, Davis has nothing in the way of trail running and is still a bit of a ways from the snow.

I'd think Cornell would be good for XC skiing as well as trail running. Boulder too. I've heard there is good running in UVA's area, but obviously little to no snow.

mori2015

New

Postby mori2015 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:21 pm

University of Denver/Cu - Boulder are great regional schools and they both have excellent access to areas where you can camp/hike/ski/nordic/etc. COL is definitely not cheap for either of these places though and it is only getting more expensive.

Outside of that you could try Midwest schools (Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan). There is a lot of camping, easy hikes, lakes, and nordic skiing if you can stand the bitter cold.

Burlington Vermont is also a good place for these activities, but I don't know too much else about the East Coast ski scene.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks, all! I've had my eye on Colorado schools and some rural Northeast ones. My ties are in NE. I'd definitely be willing to take $$$ at a good regional school and then take a job that allows me to have more of a work/life balance than some big city jobs would.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:47 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Thanks, all! I've had my eye on Colorado schools and some rural Northeast ones. My ties are in NE. I'd definitely be willing to take $$$ at a good regional school and then take a job that allows me to have more of a work/life balance than some big city jobs would.

Just as a forewarning--I went to law school instead of taking a job in presumably NYC or another big city for almost the exact same reason... I ended up spending more time in NYC than I would have if I had just taken a job for a couple years out of undergrad to get the experience necessary to move to a smaller market (I struck out in the smaller more desirable markets during law school campus recruiting).

I am now in a smaller market and work better hours, but it took a LOT more DEBT and TIME to get here than was necessary.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:05 pm

You're saying you went to law school looking to get a private practice job in a small market, was unsuccessful in OCI during law school, then ended up working in a city just to get enough experience to transfer to the smaller market you originally desired? Yeesh. Sounds like a long road. Why were you unsuccessful in OCI first time around?

Serett

Diamond

Postby Serett » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Retake.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Haven't taken. Expecting 167-68. ACT/SAT to LSAT conversions, for whatever they're worth, predict 168.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:16 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Haven't taken. Expecting 167-68. ACT/SAT to LSAT conversions, for whatever they're worth, predict 168.

Wait... This is a thing? People predict their LSAT score based on their SAT?

Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds absurd

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:27 pm

kwabedi wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:Haven't taken. Expecting 167-68. ACT/SAT to LSAT conversions, for whatever they're worth, predict 168.

Here's a VERY SCIENTIFIC forumla if you're interested:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=17097

ETA: It hit my 3rd LSAT take right on the head (but not the 1st and 2nd takes)
Last edited by BigZuck on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:28 pm

They're not perfect predictors obviously, but someone who scores 700s on their SAT sections can be pretty confident that they will score in the upper 160s

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=17097

Interesting. I wish I remembered my separate scores for each section because I took the SAT out of 2400 and only remember my total score. Is there a formula for that as well? I'm sure there's a way to convert it, but I'm awful at math haha

Indifference

Silver

Postby Indifference » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Based on that formula I should have been happy at 12 points below my actual LSAT score.

I was quite the slacker in high school.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=17097

This formula got my first take off by 1 point - interesting.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Irvine. Perfect weather year round with tons of biking and hiking trails nearby and close to Big Bear and other ski resorts. Cost of living can be as low as $400/mo with on campus housing.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Please don't go to law school OP

jphiggo

Bronze

Postby jphiggo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:00 pm

mrsomebody wrote:
jphiggo wrote:Skiing, hiking, etc. were all activities high on my secondary list of factors to consider. Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the Bay Area in general, etc. are great places to visit and have in your backyard. UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Stanford, etc.. there's plenty of options out west!

Berkeley and Stanford are 3+ hours from any sort of quality XC skiing. Not bad for trail running though. From first hand experience, Davis has nothing in the way of trail running and is still a bit of a ways from the snow.

From first hand experience, I make that drive east frequently and it's not bad. You can also extend a trip by a couple of days by staying in some really cheap Airbnb places for sub $40/night. In addition to skiing out east at Lake Tahoe, there's plenty of running trails around (as you mentioned) and there are also quite a few hiking trails, including hiking up Mt. Tam over at Muir, or if mountain or road biking is your thing, Mt. Diablo is also right down the road.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�