Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ood's_brother

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Postby ood's_brother » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:55 am

Good start. I wish it had more T14 testimonials and less complaining about why someone's future Alma mater isn't on here

Stylnator

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Postby Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Why is there absolutely nothing in here about government work? PI is WAY more than just Skadden and EJW. As a 0L I find it way more helpful to know about the quality and types of jobs students in PI receive rather than what percentage of the class choose to go into the field.

Please more testimonials about government work: DOJ, State/Federal PD, DA, etc.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 pm

hey if there are T14 grads that went into government post-grad I am more than happy to take their testimonial. Those testimonials are just the TLSers I knew and who agreed to write one, and they all happened to be doing non-profit.

PI is much more than skadden and EJW. I just chose those two arbitrarily because they're often used by T14 students to springboard their PI career.

It is more difficult finding data to analyze with regard to government entry level. If y'all think there are more things to add then let me know where to find it and quantify it.

AMS2001

Postby AMS2001 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:44 am

Chicago Public interest person here.

Students who want public interest at UChicago, get it. Students who want their preferred clinic at UChicago, get it. They also get into all the relevant public interest classes they want. We also have guaranteed summer public interest funding both 1L and 2L, and a really good LRAP program. Our low numbers of students in public interest has more to do with culture and self-selection than with the school's ability to get you a public interest job.

Argument for: tons of untapped resources in the form of AMAZING clinical faculty and opportunities, easily attainable school-funded public interest fellowships; lots of attention in the form of mentors, awards, leadership roles in student orgs, etc.

Argument against: small number of public interest students at the law school, which can lead people to second-guess the public interest career path and end up doing OCI. The students that came here fully committed to public interest stayed on that career path, the ones that were only considering it jumped on the Biglaw ship really early on.

Those are my two cents.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:46 am

AMS2001 wrote:Chicago Public interest person here.

Students who want public interest at UChicago, get it. Students who want their preferred clinic at UChicago, get it. They also get into all the relevant public interest classes they want. We also have guaranteed summer public interest funding both 1L and 2L, and a really good LRAP program. Our low numbers of students in public interest has more to do with culture and self-selection than with the school's ability to get you a public interest job.

Argument for: tons of untapped resources in the form of AMAZING clinical faculty and opportunities, easily attainable school-funded public interest fellowships; lots of attention in the form of mentors, awards, leadership roles in student orgs, etc.

Argument against: small number of public interest students at the law school, which can lead people to second-guess the public interest career path and end up doing OCI. The students that came here fully committed to public interest stayed on that career path, the ones that were only considering it jumped on the Biglaw ship really early on.

Those are my two cents.

Thanks. If you want to add more, feel free to pm me a more detailed testimonial and I'll post it in OP. If you don't think there's anything else to add then I'll post what this.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Stylnator wrote:Why is there absolutely nothing in here about government work? PI is WAY more than just Skadden and EJW. As a 0L I find it way more helpful to know about the quality and types of jobs students in PI receive rather than what percentage of the class choose to go into the field.

Please more testimonials about government work: DOJ, State/Federal PD, DA, etc.

On the quality bit, the reason I limit this to T14 because generally the quality of PI post-grad options are best at T14. Think: National or regional nonprofits, DOJ Honors, Skadden/EJW fellws, etc.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Can we please change this to PI Megathread for T13s?

grades??

Postby grades?? » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Can we please change this to PI Megathread for T13s?

Agreed, please change the title. It is now the T13.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”