Cornell ($$) vs. NU ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
decisions0226

New

Cornell ($$) vs. NU ($$)

Post by decisions0226 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Long time lurker. 167, 3.4, URM, 2 years of WE.

Long term goal is work in the federal government in a litigation capacity. Preferable route after graduation would be clerkship-->BigLaw lit for a few years to pay down debt-->BigFed. Gunning for DC (i know that I'll need top grades) with NY as a back up, however i'm not the biggest fan of NY and like the optionality of Chicago that Northwestern opens up.

COA at repayment using the spreadsheet on the front page (scholarship in parenthesis)
Cornell: 160k (126k)
Northwestern: 168k (120k) Accounted for 12 months of rent here
Think I maxed out negotiations. Was able to bring Cornell from 105k-->126k. NU didn't budge.

I visited both schools and definitely thought Chicago>>>Ithaca. Also liked the general vibe of NU a little better, but the only thing making me hesitate is Cornell's overall superior jobs numbers and stronger placement in NY in case I end up there. Thanks for the help.

Trippel

Bronze

Re: Cornell ($$) vs. NU ($$)

Post by Trippel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Cornell and NU's employment numbers are similar enough that you should go wherever you would be most happy. I don't think NYC biglaw looks at NU any differently than it does Cornell.

decisions0226

New

Post by decisions0226 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Bump for more thoughts.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

decisions0226 wrote:Long time lurker. 167, 3.4, URM, 2 years of WE.

Long term goal is work in the federal government in a litigation capacity. Preferable route after graduation would be clerkship-->BigLaw lit for a few years to pay down debt-->BigFed. Gunning for DC (i know that I'll need top grades) with NY as a back up, however i'm not the biggest fan of NY and like the optionality of Chicago that Northwestern opens up.

COA at repayment using the spreadsheet on the front page (scholarship in parenthesis)
Cornell: 160k (126k)
Northwestern: 168k (120k) Accounted for 12 months of rent here
Think I maxed out negotiations. Was able to bring Cornell from 105k-->126k. NU didn't budge.

I visited both schools and definitely thought Chicago>>>Ithaca. Also liked the general vibe of NU a little better, but the only thing making me hesitate is Cornell's overall superior jobs numbers and stronger placement in NY in case I end up there. Thanks for the help.
They're peer schools. If you like Chicago better go to NU. You can get NY from NU just fine if you do reasonably well. In fact, I would guess that a lot of Cornell's superior numbers are because it has so many 2Ls targeting NY at OCI.

Cow

New

Post by Cow » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 pm

decisions0226 wrote: They're peer schools. If you like Chicago better go to NU. You can get NY from NU just fine if you do reasonably well. In fact, I would guess that a lot of Cornell's superior numbers are because it has so many 2Ls targeting NY at OCI.
This is spot-on.

For that minor of a price difference, go to the place you think you'll be happier because that's more likely to have an impact on how well you do which will in turn impact where you end up. Law school is stressful and if you think you'll be happier at NU then that's easily worth the extra 8k for the benefit to your mental health. Many people go to Cornell intending to head to NYC; many more are undecided and just get pushed into NYC by default because that's where Cornell directs you if you don't actively try to go elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Supporting what everyone else has said in here. Sounds like you prefer Chicago for 3 years, so enjoy NU.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:39 am

Serett wrote:Supporting what everyone else has said in here. Sounds like you prefer Chicago for 3 years, so enjoy NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”