Duke $$$ vs Penn $$ vs NYU $ vs Chicago $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JervillianSwike

New

Duke $$$ vs Penn $$ vs NYU $ vs Chicago $

Post by JervillianSwike » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:01 am

Hi all,

We're coming down to seat deposit time and I wanted to get some crowdsourcing data as I'm making my decision. Keep in mind that my LSAT is below median at some of the schools and my GPA is above the 75% at all of the schools.

With regard to my legal goals, I'm definitely leaning toward Big Law at the beginning, but hope to have the flexibility to move between the private, public, and non-profit spheres as my career advances (flaky, I know). While I like to make fun of the elitism in the legal field, prestige definitely carries weight for me and will likely influence my career choices in the future. New York is my number one choice as far as location, but I am considerably debt-averse.

The factor that matters most to me is probably career flexibility without being shackled by debt.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Serett

Re: Duke $$$ vs Penn $$ vs NYU $ vs Chicago $

Post by Serett » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:30 am

Beginning aside: speaking in general, I don't know why people are so reticent about providing information here. You'll get better advice if we actually know the scholarship numbers, and even if a school knew all of your others offers and could theoretically identify you, there is no conceivable way it would have a negative effect.

With the information you posted, this is all the information you need to answer your question (notwithstanding the fact NYU isn't on the list yet). Duke, Penn, and NYU all give you roughly the same chance at biglaw/fed clerk, and NYC is the top market for all three. Either (almost certainly) take the money and run, or if the gradations between $$$, $$, and $ are small enough, decide where you'd most prefer to be for three years.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 am

Wish you gave actual figures but I'd go Duke here if the difference between $$$ and $$ at Penn is considerable. I don't think it's worth splurging on NYU or Chicago if you want biglaw.

johnjay

New

Post by johnjay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:29 pm

If you want biglaw then you have about the same chance coming from all (all within 5% for biglaw+fedclerkship). I say go with duke where you have the most $$ and the COL is much cheaper than any of Philly/NYC/Chi

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”