Stanford vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to?

NYU
32%
Stanford
66%
Columbia
2%

Total votes: 53

fliptrip

Gold

Re: Stanford vs. NYU

Post by fliptrip » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:47 pm

eph wrote:The SJD program at Harvard is second to none in academia placement. I didn't do it as I have no interest in teaching but have a number of friends in it. Look at any top law school and compare the number of Harvard/Stanford professors compared to NYU. They aren't in the same league.
This is wrong. Thankfully law faculty hiring is knowable. This is all from here: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... ng-report/

72 folks were hired into tenure track jobs at law schools last year.

23 were from Harvard, but Harvard graduates 560 students per year, so only 1% of a typical class.
5 were from Yale, but Yale graduates 200 students a year, so 2.5%
7 were from Stanford, but Stanford graduates 180 students a year, so 4%.

So, the rumor that HYS are homes for academia is right...almost half the appointments came from 3 places.

To your point about the SJD:

0 of the 72 people who got a TT job at a law school last year held the SJD.
20 hold a PhD
9 have an LLM
10 have an MA

So, the dual degree trend is very real, but the SJD is NOT the ticket to getting a TT job at a law school.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 am

eph wrote:The SJD program at Harvard is second to none in academia placement. I didn't do it as I have no interest in teaching but have a number of friends in it. Look at any top law school and compare the number of Harvard/Stanford professors compared to NYU. They aren't in the same league.
you've fully discredited yourself.

why so much hate for NYU. the reality from a more mature hiring/practitioner perspective is that these schools are in the "same league" and that distinctions between them are relatively minor. In areas like academia, these distinctions can be important, but where you go to school is not always the most important factor.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:15 am

balidh wrote:I'd still be going to Stanford for my Ph.D. so this has nothing to do with that. I know a few joint degree students who do the degrees at different institutions (and one bicoastal) so it isn't as odd as it seems. You can break up the years however you wish (some differ law school for a year or two, some defer the Ph.D., just depends on your programs).

If it makes a difference, I'm interested in the IILJ program at NYU.
Hey, I'm in the IILJ and can chat with you about that if you'd like! Just pm me

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 am

jbagelboy wrote:
you've fully discredited yourself.

why so much hate for NYU. the reality from a more mature hiring/practitioner perspective is that these schools are in the "same league" and that distinctions between them are relatively minor. In areas like academia, these distinctions can be important, but where you go to school is not always the most important factor.
I should have mentioned this before, but 6 NYU grads got new law school faculty jobs last year. So, clearly you can go to NYU and get a faculty position. Again, it's all about fit and to be rpupkin's echo, hiring in academia is just a different beast altogether.

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:19 pm

fliptrip wrote: 23 were from Harvard, but Harvard graduates 560 students per year, so only 1% of a typical class.
Man I knew lawyers had trouble with math, but I never thought it could be this bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 pm

orangered wrote:
fliptrip wrote: 23 were from Harvard, but Harvard graduates 560 students per year, so only 1% of a typical class.
Man I knew lawyers had trouble with math, but I never thought it could be this bad.
Jesus Christ, that was horrible. Everyone, I'm sorry. I feel a little less bad because I'm the only one who bothered to actually collect the data.

Let me fix it, that's 4.1% of a typical H class.

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 pm

fliptrip wrote:
orangered wrote:
Jesus Christ, that was horrible. Everyone, I'm sorry. I feel a little less bad because I'm the only one who bothered to actually collect the data.

Haha no worries. FWIW I agree with your overall point; HLS SJD is the fast track to academia if and only if you're an international student and you're planning to enter academia in your home country (i.e., not the US).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm

orangered wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
orangered wrote:

Haha no worries. FWIW I agree with your overall point; HLS SJD is the fast track to academia if and only if you're an international student and you're planning to enter academia in your home country (i.e., not the US).
I do know foreign profs who teach at US law schools with the SJD, but its not common.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”