Post Removed. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What to do?

Cornell w/ ~100K
48%
Retake
52%

Total votes: 33

proteinshake

Gold

Post Removed.

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by proteinshake on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Re: Cornell vs. Retake

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:55 pm

What are your career goals?
Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by proteinshake on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I voted retake, though keep in mind I'm another 0L. I would like to preface by saying you don't necessarily know how much aid you will get, so this thread is IMO slightly premature. However, unless you get over 150k, I would still vote retake because the upside of retaking is just so high, and there are really no downsides other than starting law school a year later. But, since you're a KJD, that could end up being a plus: Not only because you'll get some time off of school/can get some work experience, but your GPA might rise. And the GPA rise combined with a potentially higher LSAT could net you some way better offers.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:21 pm

I agree with the above poster re: upsides and no downsides. Trust your instincts and retake the LSAT. That is 100% the right thing to do here unless Cornell gives you an incredible scholarship offer.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm

I doubt Cornell places better than Duke in NYC but am open to being proven wrong. Higher percentage placed doesn't necessarily mean firms privilege one school over another.
Last edited by BigZuck on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Last edited by proteinshake on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:I agree with the above poster re: upsides and no downsides. Trust your instincts and retake the LSAT. That is 100% the right thing to do here unless Cornell gives you an incredible scholarship offer.
wouldn't the downside be the risk of not getting a Cornell offer next cycle if I don't improve my score? or is the possibility of this not significant enough to warrant concern?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:52 pm

proteinshake wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I agree with the above poster re: upsides and no downsides. Trust your instincts and retake the LSAT. That is 100% the right thing to do here unless Cornell gives you an incredible scholarship offer.
wouldn't the downside be the risk of not getting a Cornell offer next cycle if I don't improve my score? or is the possibility of this not significant enough to warrant concern?
I don't think it's that significant, I would just write a solid addendum and/or email when you withdraw saying that you wanted to take a year off to get some work experience but you love the school, blah blah

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Yeah, you should probably retake.

First of all, I doubt you get 100K with a 167, being K-JD, and getting admitted at this stage of the cycle. I predict more like 60K.

Second, even if you did get 90K or something, it sounds like you could definitely improve a lot on the LSAT if you retake and get more $$ and/or another school you'd prefer. Even if you don't improve, you'd likely still get into Cornell with an earlier app and some WE--especially if you do what Zuck advised. And the time off would probably be good for you; law school's not going anywhere.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah, you should probably retake.

First of all, I doubt you get 100K with a 167, being K-JD, and getting admitted at this stage of the cycle. I predict more like 60K.

Second, even if you did get 90K or something, it sounds like you could definitely improve a lot on the LSAT if you retake and get more $$ and/or another school you'd prefer. Even if you don't improve, you'd likely still get into Cornell with an earlier app and some WE--especially if you do what Zuck advised. And the time off would probably be good for you; law school's not going anywhere.
I was pretty much going off MyLSN and what others with similar numbers messaged me. but yeah I'm leaning toward a retake, and given the fact that I applied in Feb and got in, I don't think I should be as worried as I am about reapplying. :roll:

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 pm

bumping for more input

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jp1447

New

Post by jp1447 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 pm

There is little difference in what schools like Berkeley/Michigan/Duke/NU or whatever other schools are between Cornell and the T10 you mentioned in terms of big law. Obviously, Cornell feeds to NY more so than any of these schools given its location. Then again, I imagine its cold winter and bleak setting can be terrible for 3 years.

Regarding clerking, while the posters on here get especially butt hurt about clerkship numbers, I discovered through both law school and working that many kids don't pursue the clerkship route largely out of desire. Loans start kicking in and some kids simply want to earn. I found that 1/2 my class at Duke did not give a shit about clerking. Maybe 1/4 considered it, but not really. I've more recently heard that the school is putting more of an emphasis on clerking. I heard a similar thing from a girl I know who went to Cornell. In other words, if you want a federal clerkship you may be just as likely at Duke or Cornell when compared to some of these other schools.

Regarding LSAT. Bottom line: If you think you can improve even 1 point, I think you should retake and milk money. Hell, you should milk money any way just to sharpen your negotiating skills for next year. For me, I got Duke to buck up big in August and bailed on various other "T10s" in the final hour (one may have even been a T5). I seriously find these distinctions laughable once you get past Stanford... T10 T14 T13...

Final thoughts: Play the money game viciously. There are threads on here detailing how to do that. Consider also, however, that the market could swing back regarding applicants. 5 years ago you may not have gotten into Cornell. You are literally hitting the bottom. As such, you do take some risk alienating a school you commit to if you sit out, retake, applicants tick up, then you reapply.

Either way, I HIGHLY recommend taking some time off between undergrad and law school. Wherever you go, 1L will most certainly be one of the worst times in your life. I really mean that, kid. I am betting that a 1L who sees a marked difference between a T13 and a T10 will not to react well when he/she realizes median is a 3.2.....

I personally loved Durham, though law school generally was awful.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:24 am

retake the lsat. try to start a career and if you're lucky youll never have to go to law school.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:38 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:retake the lsat. try to start a career and if you're lucky youll never have to go to law school.
+1

xiao_long

New

Post by xiao_long » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:57 pm

krads153 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:retake the lsat. try to start a career and if you're lucky youll never have to go to law school.
+1
I second that. The prevailing TLS consensus is that law school can be a great investment if you end up as a law professor, federal judge, or big law partner. Otherwise, it is an inherently undesirable profession, considering the costs and benefits, as expressed by many here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”