ASU ($$$$) vs GW ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
robo93

New

ASU ($$$$) vs GW ($)

Post by robo93 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi all,

First post here. I am currently wavering between these two schools for Fall 2016. Right now I am looking at 10k per year at GW (I know...tragic, but still waiting to here about scholly reconsideration+need based) and full ride at ASU. As of now I have no outstanding debt from undergrad or my masters. I am aware both offer different outlooks in terms of job prospects afterwards, but should I forego the prospect of a potential higher paid big law firm in order to graduate from law school without any tuition debt?

Any comments would be appreciated :oops:

Edited for further information:

LSAT: 163, taken once, but have registered twice. The first time I got very ill the night before/day of the test so had to cancel any potential scoring.
GPA: 3.8
Undergrad: D.C.
From: New Mexico, currently live and work in New York. Top cities would be D.C. and Phoenix...hence why I applied to these particular schools.
COA-~140k in loans for GW after savings and scholarship, would not need to take loans for Arizona
Last edited by robo93 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mullens

Silver

Re: ASU ($$$$) vs GW ($)

Post by Mullens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Please provide the information requested in the sticky at the top of the forum:

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Where do you want to practice? Arizona? New Mexico? Elsewhere in the Southwest? If so and you have familial ties to the area, then ASU.

It's hard to justify that much debt for GW.

robo93

New

Post by robo93 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Mullens wrote:Please provide the information requested in the sticky at the top of the forum:

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Just edited, thanks
acr wrote:Where do you want to practice? Arizona? New Mexico? Elsewhere in the Southwest? If so and you have familial ties to the area, then ASU.

It's hard to justify that much debt for GW.
My top two cities are Phoenix and D.C. Originally from that region, but have moved, attended school, and lived on the east coast for a while.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm

With a 3.8 GPA, I don't think that either options are justifiable here, especially with two retakes left on the table. Barring a pressing or urgent need to enroll in law school this semester, I would try to raise your LSAT score into the 170s and enjoy the T14 on a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm

If you want Phoenix, you aren't going to do better than no loans with an ASU degree. What do you want? DC and Phoenix are vastly different.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:37 pm

$140k in loans is far too much for the shot at biglaw you get from GW. If you really want a shot at biglaw, you need to retake the LSAT and go to a better school with more money. You get to 168 and you're looking at a significant discount from a T-14. Your GPA could open every school's doors if you can get the corresponding LSAT score.

If you absolutely refuse to retake the LSAT, then you should go to ASU with the understanding that you will probably make 50-70k after graduation if you're able to find a job as a lawyer.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Without loans, you don't have one major motivation for needing biglaw, so if being in Phoenix is really important to you and you're okay with about a 70% chance of making a solid, yet unspectacular salary, then ASU is just fine.

GW makes absolutely no sense at that price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”