New York - Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn/SJU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
smk11e

New York - Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn/SJU

Postby smk11e » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Received some great info when studying to retake LSAT for the 3rd time - average practicing was a 168 with high of 172.. unfortunately my results was a 161 - a friend passed away week before the test so had not prepped much that final week and once in the test we sat in the room for literally 2 hours before the test was administered so adrenaline just kept going till we began (something having to do with a missing doctors note for someone with pill bottle? insane)..If I could retake I would. So here I am - 3.3 GPA, 161 LSAT - am looking to (somehow) get into Big Law and fortunately have some connections from going to a prestigious high school in NYC who I have started reaching out that seem like they will be very helpful. So I am looking for some advice on choosing.. I live right outside of the city so I can eliminate COL. I do want to be a lawyer. I took on a job and took time outside of just deciding while in undergrad and still decided this is what I wanted to pursue.

Fordham: Sticker - could potentially go evening (bad idea?) and continue to work make about 50k/year or just go all in with day/full-time although I do not think I could be able to stomach paying sticker with other offers - are there employment/salary/placement that much superior than other nyc schools outside t-14?

Cardozo - 135k no conditions

Brooklyn - 96k upper 80%

St. John's - Full - upper 40%

Currently negotiating with each (other than Fordham) to provide more tuition and for SJU to reduce conditions..

Any feedback/critiques negative or positive are appreciated - just looking for some perspective here. Is there really much difference in name once we get into the Brooklyn,Cardozo,SJU?

BigZuck

Re: New York - Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn/SJU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:46 pm

I think you need to retake again if you want big law or change your goals

A@M_or_bust

Postby A@M_or_bust » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think you need to retake again if you want big law or change your goals

+1

These schools will give you a marginal chance at big law (10-12%), lets says since you are local and have a few connections, we can up it to 20-25%. Is it worth it? Three years of your life plus the opportunity costs? You need to retake and go to a T14 or at the very least, a full ride to Fordham.

Kummel

Postby Kummel » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah you'll have to retake if you want big law, but if that's not 100% where you're at, a full ride at Cardozo isn't awful, especially considering you have some good ny ties

ND2018

Postby ND2018 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:13 pm

smk11e wrote:Received some great info when studying to retake LSAT for the 3rd time - average practicing was a 168 with high of 172.. unfortunately my results was a 161 - a friend passed away week before the test so had not prepped much that final week and once in the test we sat in the room for literally 2 hours before the test was administered so adrenaline just kept going till we began (something having to do with a missing doctors note for someone with pill bottle? insane)..If I could retake I would. So here I am - 3.3 GPA, 161 LSAT - am looking to (somehow) get into Big Law and fortunately have some connections from going to a prestigious high school in NYC who I have started reaching out that seem like they will be very helpful. So I am looking for some advice on choosing.. I live right outside of the city so I can eliminate COL. I do want to be a lawyer. I took on a job and took time outside of just deciding while in undergrad and still decided this is what I wanted to pursue.

Fordham: Sticker - could potentially go evening (bad idea?) and continue to work make about 50k/year or just go all in with day/full-time although I do not think I could be able to stomach paying sticker with other offers - are there employment/salary/placement that much superior than other nyc schools outside t-14?

Cardozo - 135k no conditions

Brooklyn - 96k upper 80%

St. John's - Full - upper 40%

Currently negotiating with each (other than Fordham) to provide more tuition and for SJU to reduce conditions..

Any feedback/critiques negative or positive are appreciated - just looking for some perspective here. Is there really much difference in name once we get into the Brooklyn,Cardozo,SJU?

Do not go to fordham full time. If you make 50k a year and go to Fordham in the evening I think you could make it work. My concern would be Fordham's BL placement out of the night program; but you would really be minimizing risk by going in the evening. I really don't think the other schools are worth your time considering your goals, as you would have to be at the TOP of your class to have that BL shot.

On the other hand, if you are okay with sitting out a couple years here the clear choice is to wait and retake.
Last edited by ND2018 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biglaw1990

Postby Biglaw1990 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

smk11e

Postby smk11e » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

If I am confident can get 167+ on a retake, despite it being a 4th time, is that acceptable? The first two were while I was in undergrad 2 years ago and just did not study nearly enough. Thanks for the help.

ND2018

Postby ND2018 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:17 pm

smk11e wrote:If I am confident can get 167+ on a retake, despite it being a 4th time, is that acceptable? The first two were while I was in undergrad 2 years ago and just did not study nearly enough. Thanks for the help.

Whens the next time you would be eligible to retake OP?

smk11e

Postby smk11e » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:27 pm

ND2018 wrote:
smk11e wrote:If I am confident can get 167+ on a retake, despite it being a 4th time, is that acceptable? The first two were while I was in undergrad 2 years ago and just did not study nearly enough. Thanks for the help.

I think my window would be open again in October, have to check on LSAC. Last test had 1 or 2x on LG, neglected RC and got 7x, LR another 7 and 6.. and really did not mind the study and time - have a flexible job with my hours as well. So seems like might be best move to be patient - I suppose what's 1 (maybe 2) years in the scheme of things..

ND2018

Postby ND2018 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm

smk11e wrote:
ND2018 wrote:

I think my window would be open again in October, have to check on LSAC. Last test had 1 or 2x on LG, neglected RC and got 7x, LR another 7 and 6.. and really did not mind the study and time - have a flexible job with my hours as well. So seems like might be best move to be patient - I suppose what's 1 (maybe 2) years in the scheme of things..

You have to retake then, without a doubt.

Tls2016

Postby Tls2016 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:09 pm

Connections will not get you a biglaw job from those schools without top grades. Connections can help you get interviews and meet people but won't get you past the hiring committee if you don't have top credentials.

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Fordham's the only one that gives you a decent shot at biglaw. If I were you, I'd think about re-taking again, considering where you were PT'ing. If you can nail an actual score around your PT level, you should be able to either get $$$ from them or be able to go to an even better school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”