How much would you risk for lower top 14? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For lower top 14 (7-14) how much debt would you risk?

20k max
No votes
40k max
2%
60k max
5%
80k max
5%
100k max
24%
125k max
15%
150k max
20%
175k max
7%
200k max
10%
250k max
12%

Total votes: 110

mynameismyname

Bronze

How much would you risk for lower top 14?

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:20 pm

How much debt would you be willing to take on for a lower top 14 (7-14) education.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Re: How much would you risk for lower top 14?

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:58 pm

Also post "why" if you don't mind...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:03 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Also post "why" if you don't mind...
Here's a deal: I'll post "why" if you post why you want to go to law school--i.e., what are your goals, where do you want to live, etc.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:06 pm

A baked potato.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Goals: Biglaw in DC, TX, or TN equal interest
Ties: TN and TX

I have 2 virtually full tuition scholarship offers from t-14... Expected debt under 60k... Want to practice corporate law (big law) until I get canned or get an in-house job with my current employer and then eventually open my own practice. I never want to be a politician, public figure, or famous. I just want to be a great businessman/ lawyer that leaves a solid legacy. Your turn bud.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Goals: Biglaw in DC, TX, or TN equal interest

I have 2 virtually full tuition scholarship offers from t-14... Expected debt under 60k... Want to practice corporate law (big law) until I get canned or get an in-house job with my current employer and then eventually open my own practice. I never want to be a politician, public figure, or famous. I just want to be a great businessman/ lawyer that leaves a solid legacy. Your turn bud.
This is why polls are dumb. DC is hard to get. As for TN and TX, why wouldn't you go to Vandy or UT with a sizeable scholarship over a "lower T14"?

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

This is a general poll. If I get an 2l SA I'll likely graduate law school with 20-25k debt. This isn't for me. I have some savings from my employment years. I can go where I want to go because of my scholarships and savings. My goal is to see how my future fellow classmates view debt and risk. Maybe CCN is worth the 100-150k it would take for me to attend. I don't care though because worst case scenario is not that bad at all for me with my current plan. It's still your turn bro. If I get a Biglaw job at all I'll be debt free in 6 months.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 pm

ya bro its your turn did you even vote

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:

This is why polls are dumb. DC is hard to get. As for TN and TX, why wouldn't you go to Vandy or UT with a sizeable scholarship over a "lower T14"?
Because he already has 2 (virtually) full rides to T-14?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Rpupkin still hasn't responded... Probably spending more time studying for the LSAT so he can retake in June for more money so he too can have the same opportunities I have

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 pm

whysoseriousbiglaw wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Because he already has 2 (virtually) full rides to T-14?
Why are you posting? It's your turn, bro.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Rpupkin still hasn't responded... Probably spending more time studying for the LSAT so he can retake in June for more money so he too can have the same opportunities I have
No bro...I'm waiting for you to go first. It's your turn.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Rpupkin still hasn't responded... Probably spending more time studying for the LSAT so he can retake in June for more money so he too can have the same opportunities I have
LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:07 pm

CCN is not worth an extra 100-150k over a lower T14 HTH

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:09 pm

I was considering going to a lower t14 (the good one) at sticker. Would have been a bad decision.

But, it seems like you have a full ride to lower t14? So, what's the question? Is this just a brag thread? Congrats.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:33 pm

Not at all. I want to see what people think the true value of law school in that range is. I have acceptances higher than the range I will attend. I'm very risk adverse. I don't want excessive debt but is my choice pragmatic? Is Duke, Michigan, northwestern, Georgetown, or UVA with a full scholly better than a barely discounted CCN? I believe I can reach my modest goals with my choices. I also don't believe I'm limiting myself by doing so in any way. Also Rpupkkn answers everyone's questions but not many people know what his law school options and goals are. I answered his question but he never answered mine. When I received my LSAT score I educated guessed on a complete logic game after I finished my game board because I was running out of time and I only missed one in that section. If I had scored 2-3 points lower I still would have no problem going to my same school with 100k in debt if that is what it took. That's the point of this poll.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:49 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Not at all. I want to see what people think the true value of law school in that range is. I have acceptances higher than the range I will attend. I'm very risk adverse. I don't want excessive debt but is my choice pragmatic? Is Duke, Michigan, northwestern, Georgetown, or UVA with a full scholly better than a barely discounted CCN? I believe I can reach my modest goals with my choices. I also don't believe I'm limiting myself by doing so in any way. Also Rpupkkn answers everyone's questions but not many people know what his law school options and goals are. I answered his question but he never answered mine. When I received my LSAT score I educated guessed on a complete logic game after I finished my game board because I was running out of time and I only missed one in that section. If I had scored 2-3 points lower I still would have no problem going to my same school with 100k in debt if that is what it took. That's the point of this poll.
Is this a joke?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 pm

This is the most bizarre thread.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 am

Why is 250k the max in the poll? The value of a prestigious education is priceless. You'd know this if you scored higher on the LSAT.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:30 am

WinterComing wrote:This is the most bizarre thread.
I think the OP asks some good questions.

Rpumpkin answers other people's questions, yes. But just what are his law school goals? And why is he constantly retaking the LSAT?

These are things we've all always wondered, but been too afraid to ask.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:54 am

If I had to guess, I would think Rpupkin is probably a splitter who has been a career paralegal or a small business assistant manager who thinks his loose connections to successful people makes him knowledgable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 am

mynameismyname wrote:If I had to guess, I would think Rpupkin is probably a splitter who has been a career paralegal or a small business assistant manager who thinks his loose connections to successful people makes him knowledgable.
Except for the "connections to successful people" part, this is entirely accurate.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 am

Oh my god this thread.

In any case:
mynameismyname wrote:Is Duke, Michigan, northwestern, Georgetown, or UVA with a full scholly better than a barely discounted CCN? I believe I can reach my modest goals with my choices. I also don't believe I'm limiting myself by doing so in any way.
Has anyone suggested that Duke etc. with a full scholarship will limit you in any way over CCN? I would find that hard to believe. Or are you trying to justify going to CCN with very little discount when you have full rides to other schools? Because close to $300k in debt, yeah, that tends to limit a person. But I really don't know what it is you're actually trying to find out here.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:55 am

A full ride to a T14 is worth it if you want to practice law.

I would go up to $150,000 in debt to attend a T13 (not georgetown), in the abstract.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 am

mynameismyname wrote:If I had to guess, I would think Rpupkin is probably a splitter who has been a career paralegal or a small business assistant manager who thinks his loose connections to successful people makes him knowledgable.
Pupkin is a practicing attorney, bro.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”