Georgia State vs Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GSU or Emory?

GSU
56%
Emory
44%

Total votes: 16

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Georgia State vs Emory

Post by Maplesyrup » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:22 pm

I am currently trying to decide between Georgia State and Emory.

I have two years of GI bill entitlement at the 60% rate, i also have some passive income from investments that will enable me to not have to take out any loans for cost of living over the three years.

With the GI bill and a scholarship, GSU will be free

Emory gave 60k I will receive 25k more from the VA so I'm looking at roughly 85k COA at emory.(includes loan interest up to graduation, parking, books)

** I own a rental house that i could sell and pull out 50k-60k in equity, i would sort of hate to do this because it has been very good to me and i would love to keep it, but i do have this option.

I have 20k in undergrad loans

scores are 159/3.96, i can't take the lsat anymore.

Thanks.
Last edited by Maplesyrup on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Re: Georgia State vs Emory

Post by A@M_or_bust » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:i can't take the lsat anymore.
Literally or because you don't want to? If you have the option, you definitely should. Your gpa is too good to waste. If you maxed out your takes and are dead-set on law school, both Emory and GSU seem like good options given your circumstances. Deciding between the two will depend on your career goals.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:33 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:i can't take the lsat anymore.
Literally or because you don't want to? If you have the option, you definitely should. Your gpa is too good to waste. If you maxed out your takes and are dead-set on law school, both Emory and GSU seem like good options given your circumstances. Deciding between the two will depend on your career goals.
literally

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 am

A@M_or_bust wrote: Deciding between the two will depend on your career goals.
Agreed. First, where do you want to practice? GSU will only give you options in Georgia, while Emory has a larger reach. Second, what do you want to do? The shot at biglaw from Emory is much, much bigger from Emory, though certainly not a definite thing. Third (assuming from the GSU application that you want to stay in Georgia), did you apply to UGA? Similar placement within Georgia for way, way less moola.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 am

gregfootball2001 wrote:
A@M_or_bust wrote: Deciding between the two will depend on your career goals.
Agreed. First, where do you want to practice? GSU will only give you options in Georgia, while Emory has a larger reach. Second, what do you want to do? The shot at biglaw from Emory is much, much bigger from Emory, though certainly not a definite thing. Third (assuming from the GSU application that you want to stay in Georgia), did you apply to UGA? Similar placement within Georgia for way, way less moola.
i do want to stay in georgia and i did get accepted to uga, COA would be 40k but i would have to move and commute about 1 hr each way to school because my wife has a job in Atlanta that we don't want her to lose. I would like to do big law if i did well enough for it but by no means do i need it to be happy with my outcome.

I would be interested to know how much of emory's big law placement is in jobs outside of GA?

At this point i am thinking GSU is the best bet

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:46 pm

I would opt for Emory here, especially with even a passing interest in Big Law.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Go to GSU if you're 100% not gunning for big law in the slightest and have your sights firmly set on attainable jobs like small firm/local government

If you want big law then retake/reapply and focus on the T14

Emory is out at that price difference

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
I would be interested to know how much of emory's big law placement is in jobs outside of GA?
I don't think this exists in any meaningful sense. Anyone going to Emory trying to get BigLaw somewhere else is headed for a really bad ending, unless they have incredible grades.
Maplesyrup wrote:At this point i am thinking GSU is the best bet
Big time.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 am

BigZuck wrote:Go to GSU if you're 100% not gunning for big law in the slightest and have your sights firmly set on attainable jobs like small firm/local government

isn't he out of retakes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:05 am

champloo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Go to GSU if you're 100% not gunning for big law in the slightest and have your sights firmly set on attainable jobs like small firm/local government

isn't he out of retakes?
The OP didn't say he took it 3 times already

Also you're allowed to take it infinity times if you want to so no one is ever truly out of retakes

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post in this thread, i think I've decided to go with GSU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”