T2 or T14 to HYS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mm89

T2 or T14 to HYS

Postby mm89 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Maybe I have made this unclear so let me try again. I got into a T2 & a T14. I want to work BigLaw in NY or Chicago. If I were to transfer to T6, which route would help me to achieve this the best? I know 1L grades are unpredictable, and I am by no means going to law school just to transfer up. I know that could ultimately never happen. And I am definitely not going to determine which school I choose based solely on the likelihood that I can transfer to T6. I have already taken the LSAT 3 times so waiting for another cycle is out of the question.All I want to know is which school could possibly get me in the best position possible for BigLaw in NY or Chicago.
Last edited by mm89 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

lymenheimer

Re: T2 or T14 to HYS

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm

mm89 wrote:I know this sounds stupid but which is better. I got into a very low T14 and I got into a T2 in my state with money. Would it be better/easier to transfer from T2 where I have a better chance of being #1/1% and having most of it paid for it? Or would I be better off going to #14 with no money and then trying to transfer to HYS? Wouldn't it be harder to do so since it's more competitive & there's probably more transfers? I just don't know what to do and it's giving me so much anxiety.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=170597

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:25 pm

mm89 wrote:I know this sounds stupid but which is better. I got into a very low T14 and I got into a T2 in my state with money. Would it be better/easier to transfer from T2 where I have a better chance of being #1/1% and having most of it paid for it? Or would I be better off going to #14 with no money and then trying to transfer to HYS? Wouldn't it be harder to do so since it's more competitive & there's probably more transfers? I just don't know what to do and it's giving me so much anxiety.

It would be better to assume that you'll be median at either the T14 or the T2, and then to make your choice accordingly.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Go to GULC

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Never matriculate to a school you wouldn't be satisfied graduating from.

mm89

Postby mm89 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:25 pm

I know that it is a horrible idea to go into one school with the mindset of transferring to another, but I know that is what I want to do and need to do in order to get where I want. And I know that grades in law school can be extremely hard to predict because of the curve. That being said, I'm going to do everything I can to get to the best school possible. And if it turns out that I stay at my T2 or low T14, then so be it. But I don't think it's a bad thing to want to do better and aim for HYS.

It's ok, I understand the skepticism about trying to predict anything without 1L grades. I just need input about what everyone else thinks is the best route to take.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:39 pm

You need like top 15% to transfer from GULC to HLS, and top 5% from a T2. You're better off going to GULC

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:39 pm

mm89 wrote:I know that it is a horrible idea to go into one school with the mindset of transferring to another, but I know that is what I want to do and need to do in order to get where I want. And I know that grades in law school can be extremely hard to predict because of the curve. That being said, I'm going to do everything I can to get to the best school possible. And if it turns out that I stay at my T2 or low T14, then so be it. But I don't think it's a bad thing to want to do better and aim for HYS.

It's ok, I understand the skepticism about trying to predict anything without 1L grades. I just need input about what everyone else thinks is the best route to take.

Take the best offer you have, balancing school vs $$ as you would otherwise.

It's very important to realize that you're not going to see a significant difference in level of competitiveness between most t2s and the lower 14. You have roughly the same chance to land top 25% at GULC as you do at, say, Houston.

Make your judgment based on probable outcomes. Do your best, sure, but don't gamble your future on a shot at a "better" chance at a transfer that doesn't really exist.

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:40 pm

mm89 wrote:I know that it is a horrible idea to go into one school with the mindset of transferring to another, but I know that is what I want to do and need to do in order to get where I want. And I know that grades in law school can be extremely hard to predict because of the curve. That being said, I'm going to do everything I can to get to the best school possible. And if it turns out that I stay at my T2 or low T14, then so be it. But I don't think it's a bad thing to want to do better and aim for HYS.

This is an easy choice. Go to the T14. Even if you're #1 at a TT, getting in to HYS will still be hard. You might not even get in. T14 will give you a better shot just being top 10-15%.

Another piece of advice. Everyone goes into law school thinking they're going to be in the top 10%. There are extremely smart people you will compete with, even at a TT. Just because you got in to a T14 doesn't mean you'll even be top 10% at the TT. That's why a large percentage of students lose their scholarships after the first year.

Don't go to a TT thinking you will be able to transfer to HYS. Chances are you wont even be able to transfer to the T14 school you turned down.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:42 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:

This is an easy choice. Go to the T14.

No, it's not an easy choice. If the OP wants to work in the regional market in which the T2 school is located, and if the T2 school places reasonably well within its region, I would not choose a T14 at sticker over the T2 with a full ride.

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:12 pm

rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

No, it's not an easy choice. If the OP wants to work in the regional market in which the T2 school is located, and if the T2 school places reasonably well within its region, I would not choose a T14 at sticker over the T2 with a full ride.

Yeah, but this isn't what OP said. They said they want to transfer to HYS. If that's really the goal, the easy choice is to go to the T14.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

Yeah, but this isn't what OP said. They said they want to transfer to HYS. If that's really the goal, the easy choice is to go to the T14.

No it's not, because "I want to transfer to HYS" is not a realistic goal from either the T14 or the T2. If, in deciding where and whether to attend law school, your primary goal is "I want to transfer to HYS," then you shouldn't go to law school at all.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Why do you need to transfer to HYS?

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

No it's not, because "I want to transfer to HYS" is not a realistic goal from either the T14 or the T2. If, in deciding where and whether to attend law school, your primary goal is "I want to transfer to HYS," then you shouldn't go to law school at all.

Just because it might not be a realistic goal doesn't mean that it's not OP's goal and what the entire thread is about . . .

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

Just because it might not be a realistic goal doesn't mean that it's not OP's goal and what the entire thread is about . . .

This is TLS. When a poster asks for advice, the hive doesn't just mindlessly accept all of the poster's premises. If someone asks "which school is better for big law....Golden Gate or Thomas Jefferson?", we're probably going to shout "don't go to those schools if you want big law!" It would basically constitute bad advice to take the question seriously.
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stretchedtoothin

Postby stretchedtoothin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Nebby wrote:You need like top 15% to transfer from GULC to HLS, and top 5% from a T2. You're better off going to GULC

You usually need top T5%-10% grades, and usually closer to T5% grades, to transfer from GULC to HLS.

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 pm

rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

This is TLS. When a poster asks for advice, the hive doesn't just mindlessly accept all of the poster's premises. If someone asks "which school is better for big law....Golden Gate or Thomas Jefferson?", we're probably going to shout "don't go to those schools if you want big law!" It would basically constitute bad advice to take the question seriously.

So saying "Don't go to law school at all" is better advice than answering the question? Maybe this is good advice. According to TLS standards, of course.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:34 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:So saying "Don't go to law school at all" is better advice than answering the question? Maybe this is good advice. According to TLS standards, of course.

I stand by the TLS standard. If you're considering a lower T14 at sticker price, and if your main goal is "transfer to HYS," then, no, you should not go to law school.

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:42 pm

rpupkin wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:So saying "Don't go to law school at all" is better advice than answering the question? Maybe this is good advice. According to TLS standards, of course.

I stand by the TLS standard. If you're considering a lower T14 at sticker price, and if your main goal is "transfer to HYS," then, no, you should not go to law school.

Actually, this a good introduction to TLS for OP. They now know how worthless asking questions on TLS can be.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:42 pm

mm89

Postby mm89 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I don't see how aiming to attend one of the best law schools, especially if I want to do big law, means that I should not go to law school. Yes, I agree that giving advice, whether answering the question or simply offering your opinion, is important because it gives the OP a chance to hear what they hadn't thought about before, basically the pros and cons. But I don't see how you telling me I should not go to law school is a relevant answer either.

I completely understand that no one should go to any law school simply to transfer to another. And that is not my point. If know that the higher your are in the T14, and the higher you are in class rank/gpa, the better your chances are out of school, especially in big law. So why would me trying to transfer to one of those schools be bad? It's not like I'm saying, "I'm going to law school just so I can see what the best law school I can get into is!"

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:20 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Actually, this a good introduction to TLS for OP. They now know how worthless asking questions on TLS can be.

Only for people who don't want to hear all relevant advice.

Tls2016

Postby Tls2016 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 pm

mm89 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I don't see how aiming to attend one of the best law schools, especially if I want to do big law, means that I should not go to law school. Yes, I agree that giving advice, whether answering the question or simply offering your opinion, is important because it gives the OP a chance to hear what they hadn't thought about before, basically the pros and cons. But I don't see how you telling me I should not go to law school is a relevant answer either.

I completely understand that no one should go to any law school simply to transfer to another. And that is not my point. If know that the higher your are in the T14, and the higher you are in class rank/gpa, the better your chances are out of school, especially in big law. So why would me trying to transfer to one of those schools be bad? It's not like I'm saying, "I'm going to law school just so I can see what the best law school I can get into is!"

What is your goal other than transferring to Harvard?

thricelawyer9

Postby thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Only for people who don't want to hear all relevant advice.

Great advice.

mm89

Postby mm89 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Tls2016 wrote:
mm89 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

What is your goal other than transferring to Harvard?

My goal is to graduate from law school. My goal is big law, preferably in New York. So if Harvard makes that easier, of course I want to go there! But if I can't, that's not going to change my goals of graduating from law school and practicing big law in NY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”