WUSTL VS Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mynameismyname

WUSTL VS Vanderbilt

Postby mynameismyname » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Do you think WUSTL will surpass Vandy in this years rankings? If not, what $$$ premium would you take Vandy over Wustl. For example, if WUSTL offered you 120k and Vandy offered 75k where would you go?
Last edited by mynameismyname on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

acr

Re: WUSTL VS Vanderbilt

Postby acr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Why are you phrasing everything so hypothetically?

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:22 pm

I redid my question primarily because it's a general question.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:45 pm

I would certainly not base my decision on WUSTL passing Vandy in US News rankings.

Both are regional schools. Where do you want to work after law school?

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm

This is for a friend but the preference is to work in the south. Strong ties to Houston, Nashville, and/or Atlanta. Below both medians and out of takes and or unwilling to retake... Urm... Has top 14 acceptances but doesn't forsee any money based on research.

bdb90

Postby bdb90 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:39 pm

mynameismyname wrote:This is for a friend but the preference is to work in the south. Strong ties to Houston, Nashville, and/or Atlanta. Below both medians and out of takes and or unwilling to retake... Urm... Has top 14 acceptances but doesn't forsee any money based on research.

Take the money at WUSTL.

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:58 am

Bdb90 won't even follow your own advice! Based on your post history you have 150k at WUSTL and were waitlisted at Vandy, and you want Vandy. Lol.... That's the real reason you want my bro to take the money at WUSTL over Vandy.

vandy2lthrowaway

Postby vandy2lthrowaway » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:50 am

mynameismyname wrote:Do you think WUSTL will surpass Vandy in this years rankings? If not, what $$$ premium would you take Vandy over Wustl. For example, if WUSTL offered you 120k and Vandy offered 75k where would you go?

Your friend should worry more about employment statistics rather than just rank. I go to Vandy so I might be a bit biased. WUSTL doesn't make sense at all if your friend wants to practice in Houston, Nashville, or Atlanta. Vandy has a strong reputation in the South and makes much more sense for those three cities. However, I wouldn't recommend going to Vandy unless the total COA is under $90K. It also might not be the best choice if your friend is big law or bust.

bdb90

Postby bdb90 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 pm

mynameismyname wrote:Bdb90 won't even follow your own advice! Based on your post history you have 150k at WUSTL and were waitlisted at Vandy, and you want Vandy. Lol.... That's the real reason you want my bro to take the money at WUSTL over Vandy.

Yeah, I know, take the money and I'll take the debt. Haha. Seriously though, what about Emory? No scholarship from them? It seems like if he wanted Atlanta, he would have at least applied to Emory to see what they offered.
Last edited by bdb90 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdb90

Postby bdb90 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 pm

vandy2lthrowaway wrote:
mynameismyname wrote:Do you think WUSTL will surpass Vandy in this years rankings? If not, what $$$ premium would you take Vandy over Wustl. For example, if WUSTL offered you 120k and Vandy offered 75k where would you go?

Your friend should worry more about employment statistics rather than just rank. I go to Vandy so I might be a bit biased. WUSTL doesn't make sense at all if your friend wants to practice in Houston, Nashville, or Atlanta. Vandy has a strong reputation in the South and makes much more sense for those three cities. However, I wouldn't recommend going to Vandy unless the total COA is under $90K. It also might not be the best choice if your friend is big law or bust.

That is really good advice. I am kind of Vanderbilt obsessed right now, but what is Vanderbilt's latest biglaw plus federal clerkship percentage? 10 percent higher than WUSTL? Is that worth $45,000 plus possible living expense differences? However, I do know of a few WUSTL alumni who landed biglaw in Atlanta, it is just harder than from Vanderbilt or Emory.

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Vanderbilt is a great school especially for the South. So is WUSTL I would think, but I don't really know how well respected it is amongst firms nationally.

KissMyAxe

Postby KissMyAxe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Great feedback

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:17 pm

FWIW I recommended Vandy.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”