Questions for current HLS students Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lunixer

Bronze

Questions for current HLS students

Post by lunixer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:53 pm

Hello,

I am currently in an investigation period. I'm not ready to make a decision where I will attend yet (don't have any finaid numbers, still waiting on decisions from Columbia, Yale, Georgetown, UV). I just had some questions for current students:

1) Are you happy you chose to attend Harvard, given the other offers you had for various schools, your then-current job/job offers, etc?

2) I consider myself to be a pretty smart guy, but not a genius. I have a pretty meh undergrad GPA (~3.7 very good state school, difficult major), and got in mostly on the basis of my LSAT (178 after literally 130 practice tests) my sounds-impressive work experience, and my grad degree. But given that I'm not THAT smart (and certainly not as smart as people who get a 173+ LSAT on their first try) will my classmates totally outclass me? Obviously I am very dedicated to work and have a whole lot of stick-to-it-iveness.

3) Are the stories about Harvard being a cutthroat institution true? I know that they have tried to soften their image, but should I still expect students to be stealing books from the library or stuff like that? Will I be laughed out of the room if I'm cold-called and don't know the answer?

4) My impression is that the higher-ranked the school the "easier" it is, at least relative to law school in general. If I am choosing between, for example, Harvard and NYU, knowing that this is not by any means an exclusive or even important criteria for my decision, which school should I expect to be easier?

5) As you apply for jobs, do you find that the Harvard name is valuable? Compared to, say, Columbia/NYU/etc? How valuable?

6) I'm visiting the campus on ASW April 1-2. Any advice on what I should check out while I'm there? Secret things that my sway my decision one way or another?

Thanks so much for your help.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Questions for current HLS students

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm

There's a whole thread that will help: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p9166531

Return to “Choosing a Law School”