DC PI Focus - full ride at NYU vs. full ride at GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
seagan823

Bronze

DC PI Focus - full ride at NYU vs. full ride at GULC

Post by seagan823 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Schools: NYU vs. GULC

Tuition: Assuming full ride at NYU through Root Tilden Kern and full ride at GULC through Public Interest Law Scholars (1/3 tuition)/scholarship negotiations.

I know this is a lot to assume, as there are only 8 PILS scholars at GULC and 20 RTK, but as I am interviewing for the Root Tilden Kern and NYU requires a decision three days after offering the scholarship, I need to get as much info as possible based on these assumptions as soon as possible.

COL: NYC is clearly higher, particularly near NYU. Also, SO and I split rent in one bedroom in DC. May do long distance and bring up cost significantly.

Financing: Assuming full ride, COL will be financed through loans. Plan is to use LRAP/PSLF for that. I know LRAP/PSLF has some political risk, but I don't think I have a choice but to take COL loans at a T-14

Where I want to work: Washington, DC

Career goals: Plan is to pursue a career in legal services. Would love to work at DC legal aid or as a guardian ad litem. Small chance of interest in PD, none in DA. A tiny part of me is interested in certain big fed jobs (DOJ/DOL/CFPB honors) if my grades were excellent, but it is still more likely I will pursue a career in legal services in DC.

Stats: 173/3.65, three attempts

Why I am writing:

I want to know what to know how much of an advantage the Root Tilden scholarship brings when it comes to hiring in legal services. I know that generally speaking clinical experience and demonstrated commitment to a cause are the criteria for PI hiring, but I also know that most legal services employees have to take fellowships in their first year that are very competitive (Skadden/EJW). Would RTK on my resume give me a leg up? What about the Public Interest Law Scholars program at GULC? What does that do for a resume for legal service hiring?

I am also curious how much of an advantage living in DC would provide me for gaining a job in DC. I have been getting to know a lot of PI attorneys in DC and figured I will be better able to continue those relationships if I am here. I also figure there are just more chances for interships/externships if I stay here that could help me, even at the fed level.

Lastly, does anyone really know how school names affects big fed hiring? I assume if I decided fed honors was for me I would have to be in top 10% and on law review to be competitive at any school. Do they look at rank on a sliding scale the way big law does when it comes to hiring, or is it more just being at the top of your class with good experience and a good fit. I won't make a decision around this completely, because it is still an unlikely path based on what I think I want to do, but I obviously want to keep options open.

Alive97

Bronze

Re: DC PI Focus - full ride at NYU vs. full ride at GULC

Post by Alive97 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:21 pm

If I'm reading this right and you may get the NYu offer before hearing from GULC, then you'd be taking quite a risk by declining and hoping to get PILS.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Both schools are wayyy overkill for legal services gigs. Would probably go with NYU between the two, though. Also yes, you'd be nuts to turn down an RTK.

we'rebothmenofthelaw

New

Post by we'rebothmenofthelaw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:10 am

RTK hopeful (no interview yet...) here. I worked in a legal services org in DC before applying to law school and can say that our ranks and networks were filled with law school students and grads from DC-area schools. Our org might have been a little more local than some, but I think we were fairly typical in that regard. People from out of state schools--especially fancy ones--generally only found their way to our organization through firm-sponsored projects. Georgetown (including and especially PILS folks) were around all the time. Were we turning down RTK scholars left and right? Not that I know of, but the organization definitely valued local connections. If you're really interested in legal services in DC, there's definitely value in being a law student in D.C., especially in the premier PI program in the premier DC law school.

On the other hand, the size of the RTK network might make up for the network you're missing out on. For example, if we were both RTK scholars, I'd be more than happy to introduce you to some D.C. legal services folks :D . I'm also sure there are much better connected people already in the RTK network. (Also happy to talk DC legal services by PM regardless.)

On the personal front, I did long distance between New York and D.C. for just a summer and found it to be unpleasant, though a full ride at NYU could justify a few Acela tickets. Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”