UGA vs. Emory vs. WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdb90

Bronze

UGA vs. Emory vs. WUSTL

Post by bdb90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:50 am

- Cost of attendance is same at Emory and UGA (that is including cost of living), and about $30,000 less for WUSTL. UGA gave me $5,000/yr, Emory gave me $41,000/yr, and WUSTL gave me $50,000/yr. I have tried negotiating with UGA, but have had no luck so far.
- I am from Georgia and would like to practice in Georgia. I would like to practice at a large law firm in Atlanta if possible. If not, I would be content practicing in Augusta, Savanna, Macon.
- I have been waitlisted to Vanderbilt and UVA, and have taken the LSAT 3 times with my highest score being a 169.
- I am sure this should not be a consideration, due to the fact that I have to assume I will be at median in my law school class, but would it be easier to laterally transfer from WUSTL or Emory to Vanderbilt? What about transferring up to the T14?
- Is it possible to get back to Atlanta from WUSTL with ties? With the cost of attendance the same at Emory and UGA, should I go to Emory for the small biglaw boost/prestige? I like the history behind UGA Law and really like the more rural setting. Would UGA give me a better shot at decent employment in the smaller cities in Georgia?

fliptrip

Gold

Re: UGA vs. Emory vs. WUSTL

Post by fliptrip » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 am

Even though WUSTL is cheaper, I'd exclude them.

I'd just choose whichever I liked better between UGA and Emory. They will both work just as well to get you a good job in Atlanta.

I don't think you need to worry about transferring. If you end up with incredible grades after your first semester of 1L, then maybe a transfer would be in order, but only to HYS. Other T-14s aren't going to help you get Atlanta any better than great grades at UGA/Emory would. Actually, great grades at UGA/Emory with Atlanta as a target should set you up just fine.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:06 am

There's pretty much no sense in going from an Emory or a Wash U to a Vandy if you're paying 100k to do it, but if you really want Vandy I would ride out that WL and do all the things smart people on a WL do - if LSN is any indication I'm pretty sure they give you $ in line w/ their "formula" off the WL

ND2018

New

Post by ND2018 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 am

bdb90 wrote:- Cost of attendance is same at Emory and UGA (that is including cost of living), and about $30,000 less for WUSTL. UGA gave me $5,000/yr, Emory gave me $41,000/yr, and WUSTL gave me $50,000/yr. I have tried negotiating with UGA, but have had no luck so far.
- I am from Georgia and would like to practice in Georgia. I would like to practice at a large law firm in Atlanta if possible. If not, I would be content practicing in Augusta, Savanna, Macon.
- I have been waitlisted to Vanderbilt and UVA, and have taken the LSAT 3 times with my highest score being a 169.
- I am sure this should not be a consideration, due to the fact that I have to assume I will be at median in my law school class, but would it be easier to laterally transfer from WUSTL or Emory to Vanderbilt? What about transferring up to the T14?
- Is it possible to get back to Atlanta from WUSTL with ties? With the cost of attendance the same at Emory and UGA, should I go to Emory for the small biglaw boost/prestige? I like the history behind UGA Law and really like the more rural setting. Would UGA give me a better shot at decent employment in the smaller cities in Georgia?
Bro ride out that UVA WL. Georgia and Emory are gunna have marginally different outcomes, in GA if that's where your set, pick the cheapest.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

ND2018 wrote:Georgia and Emory are gunna have marginally different outcomes, in GA if that's where your set, pick the cheapest.
Yep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 am

ND2018 wrote:
bdb90 wrote:- Cost of attendance is same at Emory and UGA (that is including cost of living), and about $30,000 less for WUSTL. UGA gave me $5,000/yr, Emory gave me $41,000/yr, and WUSTL gave me $50,000/yr. I have tried negotiating with UGA, but have had no luck so far.
Bro ride out that UVA WL. Georgia and Emory are gunna have marginally different outcomes, in GA if that's where your set, pick the cheapest.
I think the above is credited if you have ANY inclination to ever leave the Atlanta legal market.

If you're 100% set on Atlanta and know you want to stay, stay with your local options. I'd use the Emory offer to get UGA to go for full tuition. I'd really only go with Emory if it ends up being cheaper than UGA.

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Thank you all for weighing in. I am going to continue to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with UGA, and will definitely be riding out the waitlists at Vanderbilt and UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”