Any chance at BigLaw? UofH$ vs WM$ vs MIN$ vs Iowa$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WanyeKest

New

Any chance at BigLaw? UofH$ vs WM$ vs MIN$ vs Iowa$

Post by WanyeKest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I know it seems like these schools are all random, but I want biglaw and do not mind location. Lately, I have come to the realization that anything less will ultimately leave me unsatisfied. 166/3.27, I have maxed out my LSAT attempts, and I am sure that the advice I will receive most is to retake. I wish I could devote a year, as I will be not be eligible until Dec, but the 166 was not easy for me. Although I am sure I can get up to a 169, It is better for me to go to school this cycle.

I have also applied to and have not heard back yet from USC, SMU, Notre Dame, Emory, UT (very unlikely), and Vandy (very unlikely). So, I was hoping that the great TLS community could give me some advice. I have talked to lawyers and judges in Houston, my undergrad pre law counselor, and some others, but I am just as uncertain as ever on what to do or where to go.

Other information- ORM, Male, went to undergrad in Texas, and live in Texas currently.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Re: Any chance at BigLaw? UofH$ vs WM$ vs MIN$ vs Iowa$

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Nobody is going to tell you that going to a school where 80% of people can't get biglaw is a good idea if the goal is biglaw. What are you asking for here?

WanyeKest

New

Post by WanyeKest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:13 pm

pretty much, which school out of these will provide for the best chance

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I think you know this isn't a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Iowa should be giving you a full ride with these stats.

They were handing out acceptances/full rides like candy this year and last and the school has dramatically declined

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:03 pm

WanyeKest wrote:pretty much, which school out of these will provide for the best chance
None of them dude. They're all 80% chances of not achieving your goal. Either change your goal or change your opportunities... they don't sync up right now.

WanyeKest

New

Post by WanyeKest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Yeah, I'm probably gonna take a step back and regroup. Thank you all!

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I can only speak to Minnesota, but the U of M seems to place pretty well at mid sized Twin cities law firms. There is still far more risk involved than at a T14, and getting into a 500+ firm would be tough, but it's a far different situation from the lower tiered schools.

I would highly recommend you try to talk to some 3Ls at each of these schools and see what they say

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:20 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:I can only speak to Minnesota, but the U of M seems to place pretty well at mid sized Twin cities law firms. There is still far more risk involved than at a T14, and getting into a 500+ firm would be tough, but it's a far different situation from the lower tiered schools.

I would highly recommend you try to talk to some 3Ls at each of these schools and see what they say
I'm confident that the OP will not get big/mid law if he attends Minnesota. No ties and relatively poor job placement is a recipe for disaster. Minnesota should only be attended by individuals with a burning desire/reason to work in Minnesota long term, (ideally) have preexisting ties, are ok with modest career outcomes (small firm/local gov, things like that), and can go for cheap.

OP- as said, you need to change your goals or change your options or not go

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:23 pm

go to minnesota if you think you can beat 75% students grade wise and have very good interview skills/personable. be honest with yourself on the last part.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:43 pm

At this specific GPA it's hard. One more point gets you Vandy and Texas. Two more points gets you t14. The advice really is to sit out and retake.

If you are absolutely unwilling to do that, then I'd be looking at Illinois and Notre Dame, both have significantly higher large firm numbers than the schools on your list.

EDIT: Just read your post more carefully. I see you do have ND on your list. Make sure to write a "Why X" supplemental essay for them (you can submit one now if you didn't initially). As a Texas resident you really really should sit out and retake if you do not get in. Just being in-state is essentially a 50% off sticker tuition coupon.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm

I wouldn't go to any of these schools with the hopes of doing big law. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 pm

nah

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Why don't you wait one more year (not sure why you don't want to, save up and at least partially avoid the crushing loan interest that's going to haunt you for years to come), get that 169 (assuming your scores expire and you can retake) and try for Cornell? (Or Michigan)

One year of time investment to get much more out of the subsequent three years in a law school seems like a smart choice.

WanyeKest

New

Post by WanyeKest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:08 am

Taking a year off and retaking in December is definitely the best option. There are just a bunch of factors, one of them being test day nerves. I get extremely nervous, for example: 1st take- 161, 2nd take 156 (got soo nervous couldn't function), then 166 for the third take. It just sucks to think if I invest my time from april to december prepping, that I could possibly screw up again. Think I should start meditating. I know I sound like a whimp, but I'm usually pretty confident with everything else.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:37 am

WanyeKest wrote:Taking a year off and retaking in December is definitely the best option. There are just a bunch of factors, one of them being test day nerves. I get extremely nervous, for example: 1st take- 161, 2nd take 156 (got soo nervous couldn't function), then 166 for the third take. It just sucks to think if I invest my time from april to december prepping, that I could possibly screw up again. Think I should start meditating. I know I sound like a whimp, but I'm usually pretty confident with everything else.
Nooo that's very typical. You're not being a wimp, this is a hard decision to make sitting out. The wimp is the one who doesn't have the nerve to make it and ends up real pissed off years later when oci ends.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 pm

WanyeKest wrote:Taking a year off and retaking in December is definitely the best option. There are just a bunch of factors, one of them being test day nerves. I get extremely nervous, for example: 1st take- 161, 2nd take 156 (got soo nervous couldn't function), then 166 for the third take. It just sucks to think if I invest my time from april to december prepping, that I could possibly screw up again. Think I should start meditating. I know I sound like a whimp, but I'm usually pretty confident with everything else.
I also agree that you are not a wimp. It's much better that you take the test seriously than to be one of those idiots who rolls up on test day with mechanical pencils and no id.

That being said, if you are nervous on test day, you have no idea how nerve-racked you will be in law school. EVERYTHING is based on 6-8 exams taken throughout the course of a year- your job after law school, whether you get onto law review, summer jobs. You just can't afford to not function during one of these tests; plus, there is no such thing as a re-take- you've got to get it right the first time (and many of them are extremely time intensive, and some profs like to throw curve balls that give even the calmest of students panic attacks).

And not only that, but then you've got to pass the bar exam- and from what I've heard, the LSAT nerves have got nothing on bar exam nerves.

Basically, this is a test heavy pursuit, and if your disposition is just not amenable to that type of evaluation, maybe you should take that under consideration. Not trying to be discouraging, but just giving a preview of what's to come (I also am a nervous person, and didn't realize how fried your nerves get from the constant pressure).

P.S. Nice username =)

Edit- just one more thing: I was as nervous as I thought I could ever possibly be on LSAT test day. 1st semester 1L year law school, I realized that that was not the case. I was sure I would either vomit or pass out before 2 out of 3 of the exams.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:40 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is nervous on test day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”