Choosing a Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
futurelawstudent96

New

Choosing a Law School

Post by futurelawstudent96 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:20 pm

I am a current undergraduate planning on applying to law school this fall. I will have a GPA around 3.86 when I apply and am taking the LSAT in June and am currently taking practice tests and scoring in the mid 160 range so I'm hoping to score around 170 with more preparation come test day. I am fairly confident that I would like to live and practice law in southern Florida (probably Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area). If all goes as planned with my GPA and LSAT score, I believe my stats would be high enough to get into a few of the T14s. Knowing I would like to live and practice in southern Florida, would it make more sense to attend the University of Miami or Florida (assuming I get a decent scholarship with my stats??) or one of the T14s that I may get into? I have looked a little bit into UVA and Duke and their placements, and Florida is not included in the list of states where most grads go to practice (although this may be by choice). I have heard that the University of Miami (although only ranked in the 60s by US News) provides connections to the Miami legal market because of its location. I'm not sure what type of law I want to practice, but I am leaning towards medical law/insurance defense, as my undergraduate degree is in nursing which might give me a little bit of an edge when it comes to apply for a job in medical law. So my question is, knowing that I would like to live in Florida, and assuming I get nearly a full scholarship to a school such as the University of Miami (I would never assume debt to attend such a school), would it make more sense for me to attend UM or a a higher ranked T14 school such as UVA or Duke (assuming I get in)?
Last edited by futurelawstudent96 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Red

Gold

Re: Choosing a Law School

Post by Big Red » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:21 pm

if you're taking in June, you aren't applying this cycle

period

come back when you have a score, study hard good luck

Return to “Choosing a Law School”