Good school for international law or Public Interest Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pdenn

New

Good school for international law or Public Interest

Post by pdenn » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:41 pm

deleted.
Last edited by pdenn on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Good school for international law or Public Interest

Post by Clearly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:43 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:44 pm

pdenn wrote:Hello, I have already applied to and gotten into Penn state, Michigan state, South Carolina, SLU, Denver, and KU. I am from the midwest, but I would really like to work in the east like Virginia area. I have also applied to washington and lee and george mason, but I just recently applied to those schools. Does anyone know of any other schools to apply to for international law/Public Interest or what is the best match that I have gotten into so far?

UVA, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, UPenn

pdenn

New

Post by pdenn » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

deleted.
Last edited by pdenn on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15 pm

pdenn wrote:
Clearly wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
I am from the midwest so that is why I have a lot of midwest schools. With my scholarships none of the schools I have currently gotten into will cost more than 25,000. However, I will be paying with savings and loans so I am willing to look at schools that cost more than 25,000. I would love to work for an international NGO, specifically working with women who have been abused. I have a fulbright hays and FLAS from college. I am in my last semester of college with a 3.41 gpa and 155 lsat I only took the lsat once, but I have heard I need to retake it again, however, that is not really an option. Any input helps thank you.
I know you don't want to hear it, but you absolutely need to ace the lsat and retake. Those jobs are rare, and absurdly unlikely from any of those schools. You don't consider retaking an option, so your only reasonable option is not going to law school. If on the other hand you decide you really want to be a lawyer, you're gonna have to find a way to retake, and master the lsat. It's a multiple choice test, just do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:35 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
pdenn wrote:Hello, I have already applied to and gotten into Penn state, Michigan state, South Carolina, SLU, Denver, and KU. I am from the midwest, but I would really like to work in the east like Virginia area. I have also applied to washington and lee and george mason, but I just recently applied to those schools. Does anyone know of any other schools to apply to for international law/Public Interest or what is the best match that I have gotten into so far?

UVA, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, UPenn
I'm very curious why you include UPenn on the list, at least for international law. Mind you, I'm glad that you did. I go there, and I always thought the school did not have that strong of a reputation in the field.

Although last year the school's Jessup International Law Moot Court team was second best in the world in the written portion of the competition (https://www.ilsa.org/jessup/jessup15/20 ... orials.pdf).

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Phil Brooks wrote: I'm very curious why you include UPenn on the list, at least for international law. Mind you, I'm glad that you did. I go there, and I always thought the school did not have that strong of a reputation in the field.

Although last year the school's Jessup International Law Moot Court team was second best in the world in the written portion of the competition (https://www.ilsa.org/jessup/jessup15/20 ... orials.pdf).
OP said he wanted to work on East Coast in like Virginia. So UVA came first. Then I thought HYS for intl law. Then I thought "UPenn is also on the East Coast and can get you in a pretty good spot as far as general job goes." Didn't add NYU/Col b/c they are in NY not "like VA" or w/e. Also, I knew OP wouldn't be applying to any of the schools anyways so my comment was more tongue-in-cheek. Definitely agree with Clearly though, OP. Retake is a must if you want to get a safe bet close to your current practice goals. Hard studying, even with that GPA, can open up Duke/UVA/UPenn/NYU if not HYS. Also, I'd trust Clearly on this. He has a very compelling background regarding retakes. Suffice it to say, he knows wtf he's talking about.

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:44 pm

American University Washington College Law sounds like exactly what you want. Its about as hard to get into as the other schools you've applied to but its in DC, right next to Virginia. As people this board will tell you, "ties" are absolutely critical for getting a job. If you spend three years at American, you can establish those ties. For example, you may be able to get an internship at an international NGO that works with women who have been abused. If they know and like you, they'll be much more likely to hire you. Moreover, American has a strong focus on international law and public interest law. In fact, it is very focused on international human rights which sounds like the direction you want to go in.

Of course law school isn't all work. When you're not studying you'll find DC is a great place to live. People say its expensive but that what student loans are for. Not only that if you pursue your dream of public interest work, the gov't will cover most of your loan payments and fully forgive your debt in 10 years. Does it get any better?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:56 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:American University Washington College Law sounds like exactly what you want. Its about as hard to get into as the other schools you've applied to but its in DC, right next to Virginia. As people this board will tell you, "ties" are absolutely critical for getting a job. If you spend three years at American, you can establish those ties. For example, you may be able to get an internship at an international NGO that works with women who have been abused. If they know and like you, they'll be much more likely to hire you. Moreover, American has a strong focus on international law and public interest law. In fact, it is very focused on international human rights which sounds like the direction you want to go in.

Of course law school isn't all work. When you're not studying you'll find DC is a great place to live. People say its expensive but that what student loans are for. Not only that if you pursue your dream of public interest work, the gov't will cover most of your loan payments and fully forgive your debt in 10 years. Does it get any better?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:54 pm

OP, the people telling you to go to American are trolling.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:20 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, the people telling you to go to American are trolling.
He's right, and in my opinion it's extremely fucked up. New people don't know any better...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”