Did I make a "mistake"?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Did I mess up?

Yes, you shouldn't have ED'd and should wait until next year to reapply to other schools
16%
No, you should take it and shut-up. You won't have issues getting back to the east coast/NC
84%

Total votes: 49

luckenmeister

New

Did I make a "mistake"?

Postby luckenmeister » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:58 pm

I ED'd to Northwestern and got it. Going into this, my focus has been on the money, but now I' not so sure. While I'm happy about getting this, I am still a little worried that I may have messed myself up. I was accepted to a couple of schools that are slightly higher ranked, and now I worry that I missed my chance at possibly HYS or T6. Additionally, I have no desire to live in Chicago long term, as family and friends are on the east coast. My numbers were actually just below NU's medians, so I know that I'm incredibly lucky. It's just that I feel odd having not "maxed out" per se. What's worse is that one school I got into that's slightly higher ranked is local, and people are wondering why I'm not going to what they perceive as the more prestigious school (NC resident). Did I screw up or am I over analyzing?

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Re: Did I make a "mistake"?

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:35 pm

luckenmeister wrote:I ED'd to Northwestern and got it. Going into this, my focus has been on the money, but now I' not so sure. While I'm happy about getting this, I am still a little worried that I may have messed myself up. I was accepted to a couple of schools that are slightly higher ranked, and now I worry that I missed my chance at possibly HYS or T6. Additionally, I have no desire to live in Chicago long term, as family and friends are on the east coast. My numbers were actually just below NU's medians, so I know that I'm incredibly lucky. It's just that I feel odd having not "maxed out" per se. What's worse is that one school I got into that's slightly higher ranked is local, and people are wondering why I'm not going to what they perceive as the more prestigious school (NC resident). Did I screw up or am I over analyzing?

You've got a full ride at one of the top law schools in the country, a school that has national appeal and large portability. You're in an incredibly enviable position.

From NU you don't need to stay in Chicago long term, NY, DC and Cali are all options (depending on your grades.) Also... NU full ride >>>>>>>>>> Chicago (unless you have a full ride from Chicago.)

Your career is poised for seriously good things. You're def over-analyzing. The only way I'd consider turning down this offer is if you have super super unicorn ambitions and you're 100% set on them. If you want big-law, stay where you are and don't even think about moving.

Congratulations and enjoy your full ride.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:53 pm

So you probably had like 3.7/167 and ended up with a $150k scholarship? Looks like you hit the jackpot to me

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 pm

You should probably learn how to go through life with a bit more confidence and a bit less anxiety.

That's going to be read as snark or sarcasm or something but I really do mean it.

orangecup

Bronze

Postby orangecup » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Graduating from a T14 with only COL debt is incredible.

Who cares what other people think regarding law school prestige. NU is a great school and will offer opportunities to get back East.

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 pm

nah bro, totally should have gone to Duke or Columbia at sticker.

of course you made the right call.

Dafaq

Bronze

Postby Dafaq » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Maybe I missed it. What is it costing him/her? ED doesn’t mean anything other than you’re in and on the hook for “x” tuition debt and cannot accept offers from other schools. My guess is "yes" to your question.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Dafaq wrote:Maybe I missed it. What is it costing him/her? ED doesn’t mean anything other than you’re in and on the hook for “x” tuition debt and cannot accept offers from other schools. My guess is "yes" to your question.

Northwestern gives full rides to its ED accepts

Dafaq

Bronze

Postby Dafaq » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Well, in that case. Congrats and the answer to your question is "NO!"

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Why do people keep referring to Northwestern's ED scholarship as a full-ride?

It's not, it's $50k per year, which isn't even full-tuition, and probably won't even be close to full tuition in a couple years. Assuming loans for COL, that's at least $100k of debt from a school in a location OP doesn't want to be and where biglaw isn't a sure thing

Just wanted to throw that out there to see if that influences the votes

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:35 pm

If you're getting a full-ride, then you're definitely over analyzing. Unless you ultimately want to be a law professor, what advantage would you gain by waiting and then trying to get into HYS? If it's not a full-ride, you might want to think about things a little more. It could be worth it to wait and potentially get more scholarship money, especially if you don't plan on doing big law or plan on doing public interest. Just don't wait if you're only doing it for "prestige."

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:36 pm

150k for being below both NU medians is p cool
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckenmeister

New

Postby luckenmeister » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replys, I feel much better abt my choice. I kinda got caught up in the rankings whore mentality, reserching nothing about these schools besides their rank and scholly potential. NU seems to be an already great place that is trending upward, and chicago should be a new adventure. I do have super super unicorn aspirations, but I think NU can get me there.

abl

Silver

Postby abl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Unless I'm missing something here, if the OP has a below-median GPA and LSAT for Northwestern, (s)he's not getting into HYS without some extraordinary softs/personal story (and maybe not even then).

OP: I probably am one of the least likely posters on TLS to suggest that you take the money. That said, no, you didn't make a mistake. Northwestern is a great school and NW with a generous scholarship is a great option. Would you be better off at Yale paying sticker? Depending on your goals, I might say yes. But first, to be blunt, you really probably weren't going to get into Yale. And second, I think that folks here would agree that the decision would not be, under almost any circumstances, a slam dunk for Yale. Even if you might have been somewhat better off at Yale paying sticker, you wouldn't be all that much better off.

To put things another way, the outcome that you achieved is among the best--if not the best--of the outcomes that you reasonably could have expected to achieve. The differences between NW with a big scholarship and your other realistic outcomes in the T14 are, at best, marginal. So go out and celebrate!

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:16 pm

OP gets an incredibly lucky outcome (seriously, getting that much money with a 167 and 3.70 ?!) and acts like it's a problem. Jeez.

Be honest--was this just a humblebrag?

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:31 pm

OP, are you a URM? (A lot of people saying "no way OP gets HYS," and if you're a URM, that's not necessarily the case).

jrass

Bronze

Postby jrass » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I think you did fine. After the top 6 the schools all get bunched together. HYS may be worth the debt, because they give you advantages every step of the way, but Northwestern is a fine school. Outside of HYS, no school 4-14 is worth 100k more than another.

luckenmeister

New

Postby luckenmeister » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 pm

emkay625 wrote:OP, are you a URM? (A lot of people saying "no way OP gets HYS," and if you're a URM, that's not necessarily the case).

I'm not a urm, and I agree with the comments above

coolestkidever

New

Postby coolestkidever » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:OP gets an incredibly lucky outcome (seriously, getting that much money with a 167 and 3.70 ?!) and acts like it's a problem. Jeez.

luckenmeister

New

Postby luckenmeister » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:14 pm

coolestkidever wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:OP gets an incredibly lucky outcome (seriously, getting that much money with a 167 and 3.70 ?!) and acts like it's a problem. Jeez.

Not at all, it was a real question. I'm really happy abt the outcome now, I just had concerns after reading other posts about regional location importance. Those concerns have faded as I believe I can come back home if I so choose. Really just myself being an uninformed applicant, not trying to be a jerk

NUDad

New

Postby NUDad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Where the heck else can you get $150K scholarship from a T14 with numbers below median? If that's not "maxed out" I don't know what is. You got the best possible outcome. NU is flush with cash this year after receiving a huge gift from the Pritzker family, and you are one of the beneficiaries of their generosity. You will have just as many opportunities coming from NU as that school in NC, so long as you work hard and take advantage of the opportunity presented to you. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Return to “Choosing a Law School?