Why going to Stetson was one of the greatest decisions I made in my life. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wolfintally

New

Re: Why going to Stetson was one of the greatest decisions I made in my life.

Post by wolfintally » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah, I don't really care I have a great job and the vast majority of my classmates are working attorneys. Surprisingly they are not street walkers. Just thought I should project that out into the world. Deny it, call me career services... I don't care. I put this out there for somebody who knows how to hustle. You guys have a good time and good luck on the bar. Always remember positive people go farther in everything. :wink:

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Wolf,

I am actually really happy for you because it sounds like you got a great gig, but the reason I am really happy is because the likelihood of you getting that gig when you decided to go to Stetson was very small. By encouraging others to make the same decision you did, you are not using your great outcome to help others, but rather to hurt them, because statistically speaking most people who follow your advice will not have as good an outcome.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:20 pm

What if people actually do know how to hustle but still don't get anything because their school is butt and there aren't a lot of jobs to even snag?

Also, how do you accurately assess your own hustleability without over estimating it?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I'm gonna come out of retirement for a second to smh at the EGREGIOUS anti-Gator alumni trolling ITT. I'm gonna go to the Citrus Bowl next month, and I expect the NETWORKING opportunities to be off the chart.
you should stick around.
Maybe I will. It's 3LOL and I'm kind of feeling in the mood for some trolling
I enjoy the juxtaposition of a Yalie posting in this thread.

Also, take this in the spirit in which it's intended but given where you attend, I feel like you're either so high functioning that your brain chemistry won't let you 3LOL, or you would have been on auto-LOL from the very beginning.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:10 pm

wolfintally wrote:Yeah, I don't really care I have a great job and the vast majority of my classmates are working attorneys. Surprisingly they are not street walkers. Just thought I should project that out into the world. Deny it, call me career services... I don't care. I put this out there for somebody who knows how to hustle. You guys have a good time and good luck on the bar. Always remember positive people go farther in everything. :wink:
I would like to say that you came across as a braggadocios asshole in the first post with little-man syndrome, putting people with different jobs than you down ("not real lawyers.") I would expect better from a self-describe positive person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 pm

It really has been one of the great disappointments of my life that I will never truly litigate.

Are you enjoying the free hat?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:17 pm

While we're all here, I'd like to know the other decisions you've made in your life so I could to an informal comparison?

King Dong

Bronze

Post by King Dong » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:16 pm

ive been a paralegal in tampa for 7 years and have worked with quite a few stetson graduates / people attending stetson. they're generally happy with their decision but im not so sure that they really had better options available

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 am

King Dong wrote:ive been a paralegal in tampa for 7 years and have worked with quite a few stetson graduates / people attending stetson. they're generally happy with their decision but im not so sure that they really had better options available
Yeah, but you're getting to see those with actual jobs.

I find it odd because not too long ago a friend going to Stetson posted about how "making the choice to go to stetson was one of the best things i ever did."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

If you KNOW HOW TO HUSTLE I think there are better ways to spend 200k

Can we like put the pom poms away here for a second and realize that someone might read this and end up in that 45.6% column that graduate stetson w/o a job, and pay six figures to do it?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:12 am

yeah but that's only using the 9 months out data. if you keep hustling and stay on that grind, it's probably only a 42.2% chance

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:46 pm

OP do you owe more or less than $100,000 in loans?

If less, how much less (roughly)?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:43 pm

100 kiddos go to TTT. 40 pass bar exam. 30 get ft/br jobs.

Employment score of 30% is pretty misleading. More helpful is employment score of 75%. If you pass the bar, which is on you, not your school, you have 3/4 chance of being a lawyer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:100 kiddos go to TTT. 40 pass bar exam. 30 get ft/br jobs.

Employment score of 30% is pretty misleading. More helpful is employment score of 75%. If you pass the bar, which is on you, not your school, you have 3/4 chance of being a lawyer.
Thread is really starting to hit its stride

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:100 kiddos go to TTT. 40 pass bar exam. 30 get ft/br jobs.

Really don't think it works this way.

And Stetson's bar passage rate for the last two years was 75-85%.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Really don't think it works this way.

And Stetson's bar passage rate for the last two years was 75-85%.
Then I am not talking about Stetson.

Why doesn't it "work this way?"

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Because I don't think bar passage is only on the student, but more importantly, applicants don't know when they start law school whether they'll be one of the people who pass or not, and so they can't just assess the school's prospects based on the employment rates of bar passers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 pm

I don't think bar passage is entirely on the student. Largely, yes. But passing the bar is much easier if your school has done a good job teaching you what you need to know in the 1L doctrinal classes, because that's basically what's on the MBE.

For instance, I had a property professor who actually taught property. Other section had a prof who basically liked to talk about the intersection of the constitution and property. Those people were screwed three years later, trying to learn estates and stuff from scratch. Good teaching matters, well sequenced courses matter. That's on the schools.

I definitely think more than 50% is on the student. But the schools are not blameless.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:39 pm

emkay625 wrote:

I don't think bar passage is entirely on the student. Largely, yes. But passing the bar is much easier if your school has done a good job teaching you what you need to know in the 1L doctrinal classes, because that's basically what's on the MBE.

For instance, I had a property professor who actually taught property. Other section had a prof who basically liked to talk about the intersection of the constitution and property. Those people were screwed three years later, trying to learn estates and stuff from scratch. Good teaching matters, well sequenced courses matter. That's on the schools.

I definitely think more than 50% is on the student. But the schools are not blameless.
Not to defend Stetson, but a lot of T14 professors are notorious for skipping MBE stuff and teaching their pet subjects (IE, the property professor who spends 3 weeks on Pierson v Post, or torts professors who don't teach any intentional torts).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Not to defend Stetson, but a lot of T14 professors are notorious for skipping MBE stuff and teaching their pet subjects (IE, the property professor who spends 3 weeks on Pierson v Post, or torts professors who don't teach any intentional torts).
I didn't go to a top school and my property professor hardly mentioned property law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”