Baylor ($$) VS South Texas ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rougelove

New

Baylor ($$) VS South Texas ($$)

Post by rougelove » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

I got accepted to both for spring of 2016 and am very confused about which one i should pick considering future prospects and earning prospects. here are some details about my acceptances:

Baylor: 36k per year scholarship with 2.75 GPA stipulation. i would have to take out about 30k in loans every year.
South Texas: 22.5k per year scholarship with 3.0 GPA stipulation. i would have to take out about 22k in loans every year.

My biggest dilemma is that i want to practice in Houston and want to live there long term. South Texas has good ties in Houston, while Baylor has more of a strong name in Texas. Baylor would cost more. I just want to earn enough to comfortably live and pay off debts, biglaw is not a must-do.

PS, please don't waste time telling me to retake and go somewhere else.

acr

Silver

Re: Baylor ($$) VS South Texas ($$)

Post by acr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 pm

negotiate the offers off of each school to get a full ride at one or both, then the decision to attend either school could be slightly defensible if you have Texas/Houston ties

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Negotiate with both for more money (as suggested above).

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Last edited by teleste on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Go to UH or UT or don't go at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:30 pm

I cannot in good conscience recommend either if you want to be a lawyer in Houston.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Both are poor options, at a bare minimum you should go to UH for cheap. Ideally UT for cheap. Just focus on your LSAT retake for now.

rougelove

New

Post by rougelove » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:21 am

did any of you even bother reading the entire post? useless. get off from this forum if you can't give people realistic advice other than "retake" or "don't go."

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:44 am

Last edited by teleste on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:28 am

rougelove wrote:did any of you even bother reading the entire post? useless. get off from this forum if you can't give people realistic advice other than "retake" or "don't go."
In this situation, that's the only realistic advice people can give

You shouldn't go to either school if you want to be a lawyer in Houston. And if you need a higher LSAT score to get into UH or UT then you need to retake.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:13 am

Traynor Brah wrote:Go to UH or UT or don't go at all.
+1

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:31 am

rougelove wrote: PS, please don't waste time telling me to retake and go somewhere else.
It's not what you want to hear, but it's what you need to hear. Take it from a Houston lawyer.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:34 am

rougelove wrote:did any of you even bother reading the entire post? useless. get off from this forum if you can't give people realistic advice other than "retake" or "don't go."
Kid, several of us in this thread are either texas law students or practicing texas attorneys: we all agree your options are objectively poor for your goals. But you know better than us, it seems. Good luck!

Also why the boner for starting in spring? (Referencing your other thread). Assuming that means you would graduate in the winter, that's going to be a relative detriment to your job hunt (but of course that will be a pretty insignificant detriment compared to the other employment issues youd have at either school).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:58 am

Here's a good thread on Baylor: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=224879

We could probably whip something up on South Texas College of Law if need be.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:07 pm

I know a judge who went to South Texas; she doesn't even list her law school in her bio. (Which isn't to answer the OP's question about what they should do; I just always found that interesting.)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Neither school has any particular compelling reason to attend. Texas should only have 3 law schools, really - UT, UH, and SMU.

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:49 am

I will echo everyone else in saying that neither school will likely get you what you are seeking. Baylor places very poorly in Houston, and South Texas places just as poorly.

For practical advice, if you insist on choosing one of these options, both have other pros and cons.

South Texas has a pretty awful building. Few windows, bad lay out (imo) and it is downtown Houston, which means traffic and parking on top of everything else. Also (and this goes for both schools) are you factoring in COL in your loans? Houston is not nearly as cheap as it was 5-10 years ago. You can still keep rent <1,000 with a roommate pretty easily, but nicer places and one bedrooms are all 1200+ it seems. Plus gas, plus parking, plus life, it will add up.

Baylor has a much nicer faculty, and Waco is improving. That being said, there is almost no legal market in Waco, and Houston is 3 hours away. Baylor is also over 52 grand a year. No law school is worth that, especially Baylor. Also, dont rely on GPA stips, you have little control over how a section is put together.

Seriously, dont go to either school .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:35 am

The reason you're unhappy with this advice is because you, like so many others who post here, posted your question knowing very well that retake/don't go is the correct choice. You're hoping for one of us to justify the decision you've already made to ignore rational advice - which we just won't do. You think you know better? Fine, do what you want. But you've been warned.

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:31 pm

South Texas, there's not contest here. Look, you probably won't be getting a decent job as lawyer from either of these schools so you might as well enjoy your time in law school. Houston is a lot more fun than Waco. Pay for everything with government loans. When you graduate, go on the pay as you earn program. Your salary will so low your payments will probably be zero. Don't listen to people telling you not to go. For people like you law school is a three year, government paid vacation so choose the school in the most fun location.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:38 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:South Texas, there's not contest here. Look, you probably won't be getting a decent job as lawyer from either of these schools so you might as well enjoy your time in law school. Houston is a lot more fun than Waco. Pay for everything with government loans. When you graduate, go on the pay as you earn program. Your salary will so low your payments will probably be zero. Don't listen to people telling you not to go. For people like you law school is a three year, government paid vacation so choose the school in the most fun location.
This is fucking stupid, and you should feel bad.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Do not go to Baylor or South Texas law schools. There is a very high likelihood that you will regret it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:55 pm

Neither. I go to SMU with a decent scholly and I wish I had retaken and gone to UT. You'd be putting yourself at a severe disadvantage in terms of career prospects by going to either one of these schools.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:35 am

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:South Texas, there's not contest here. Look, you probably won't be getting a decent job as lawyer from either of these schools so you might as well enjoy your time in law school. Houston is a lot more fun than Waco. Pay for everything with government loans. When you graduate, go on the pay as you earn program. Your salary will so low your payments will probably be zero. Don't listen to people telling you not to go. For people like you law school is a three year, government paid vacation so choose the school in the most fun location.
FTFY.

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Post by A@M_or_bust » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:33 am

I am going to ignore the end of your post because it is for your benefit.

What is your LSAT score? How long did you prep and what materials did you use?

Neither of these schools give you many options. It would be wise for you to forget about these schools (especially for the price) and focus on getting a full ride at UH or a decent scholarship at UT. UH gives you a realistic shot at landing a job in Houston and UT gives you a more than realistic shot at landing a job anywhere in Texas.

I was in a similar situation last year and I am glad I took the LSAT 3 times. Now I am a 1L at UT. In the long run, it is definitely worth it to maximize your opportunities by sitting for the test again. It is still early in the cycle.

Best of Luck....

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I'll bite and not tell you to retake or choose a different school (even though you should)...

I work in DFW and go to school at SMU. I run into Baylor grads on a fairly regular basis. Not nearly as much as SMU, UT and T14 grads, but I've certainly met more Baylor grads in good law jobs than I could count on two hands. I have met all of one person from South Texas, and he was a current student representing his school at a Texas-wide event. Frankly, A&M, UNT, and Tech get better play than South Texas in DFW. In my experience, the DFW market is:

UT, T14, SMU >>> A&M, Tech, Baylor, T1 outside of TX >> UNT > South Texas

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”