EDIT: Even more info;;;EDIT: New Info;;;Just got off Stanford Waitlist, is it crazy to consider it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Notareallawyer123

New

EDIT: Even more info;;;EDIT: New Info;;;Just got off Stanford Waitlist, is it crazy to consider it?

Post by Notareallawyer123 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:35 am

EDIT again: tl;dr: Full ride at Chicago vs. 30k Stanford (for this year, will have to reapply for following years)

EDIT: Check page 3, Stanford is offering scholarship money.

Hey everyone,

I just made the move to Chicago a few weeks ago to go to UChicago.

And then I just recently got off the Stanford waitlist, which is my dream school, and California is my target market (plus I'm really shooting for a Federal Clerkship).

But the big hang up is that I have a $100k scholarship to Chicago (and to a lesser extent the hours and tons of money making the move).

I'm doubtful I'll get much at Stanford.

So am I crazy to consider this offer to Stanford? Obviously the money difference is huge, but Stanford is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Last edited by Notareallawyer123 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

El Pollito

Diamond

Re: Just got off Stanford Waitlist, is it crazy to consider it?

Post by El Pollito » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 am

no stanford is awesome you should do it

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 am

Yes, you are crazy. You have an awesome scholarship at UChi, which is an awesome school. You'll be just fine there.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:44 am

What's the family money situation?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:35 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:What's the family money situation?
Yeah COA at both is necessary

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fitz52917

New

Post by Fitz52917 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:39 am

This is obviously a very personal decision but I turned down a Ruby to go to Stanford and will be a 1L this fall. I don't regret it at all and could not be more excited to get started.

Since it is relevant to your goals, I'll share with you the fact that I talked to a former COA clerk who went to H undergrad and Y for law school and told me to not consider scholarships to Chicago and Columbia if I'm interested in clerk ships and instead go to Stanford. He told me if he could go back in time he would go to S over Y. He also was active in hiring the clerks that replaced him and at his firm.

I talked to other lawyers (partners, clerks, public interest) and Stanford was the most recommended by far.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:44 am

I swear to god I'm gonna kill the next 1L who says they do not regret their decision at all. I didn't even know it was possible for a 0L to say it unironically.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:45 am

100K is a lot of money.

Love, a person who just graduated and is about 103K in debt.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 am

Fitz52917 wrote:This is obviously a very personal decision but I turned down a Ruby to go to Stanford and will be a 1L this fall. I don't regret it at all and could not be more excited to get started.

Since it is relevant to your goals, I'll share with you the fact that I talked to a former COA clerk who went to H undergrad and Y for law school and told me to not consider scholarships to Chicago and Columbia if I'm interested in clerk ships and instead go to Stanford. He told me if he could go back in time he would go to S over Y. He also was active in hiring the clerks that replaced him and at his firm.

I talked to other lawyers (partners, clerks, public interest) and Stanford was the most recommended by far.
You literally just cited a boomer anecdote as your only contribution to this thread.

Also lol at choosing S over Y for clerkships

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:33 am

Get your money offer from S and update.

Edit and forget moving costs, Chicago should teach you about sunk costs as you leave
Last edited by hdunlop on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fitz52917

New

Post by Fitz52917 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:41 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Fitz52917 wrote:This is obviously a very personal decision but I turned down a Ruby to go to Stanford and will be a 1L this fall. I don't regret it at all and could not be more excited to get started.

You literally just cited a boomer anecdote as your only contribution to this thread.

Also lol at choosing S over Y for clerkships
The guy I spoke to is about 30 years old and he didn't say to go to S over Y for clerkships but said he felt like everyone who he had met who went to S was happier and he thought the clerkship opportunities you would get are more or less the same.

I don't think anyone can make this decision for OP I just wanted him to know that there are other people who had made similar decision and have done the research and it's not "crazy" especially if he thinks he's be happier at Stanford or wants to live in SF (or LA even) after graduation.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:12 am

I'd probably go to Cali

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:44 am

What's your total COA via debt? Paying sticker at any school, including Yale, is insane.

Most clerks just end up at biglaw firms/firms and hate their lives. The non-SCOTUS clerkship bonus is garbage, considering how low your clerkship salary is in the first place.

An extra 100k scholarship is probably more like 120k debt, which means probably 3 more years of biglaw to pay it off.

You will likely end up in the same place with a Stanford degree and Chicago degree, except you'd have more bragging rights with a Stanford degree since it has more lay prestige.

Nobody gives a shit where you went to school once you get a job. And frankly, most attorneys who are already practicing probably think attorneys going to school now are stupid (since you really are on average dumber).

So my answer? You will likely hate your life anyway and quit law within a few years, so save yourself 120k or whatever and go the cheaper route.

And if you do PI, it is much better going without debt to a shittier school, and if not that, go to a school with a much better LRAP. You will living like a homeless person anyway, so it's a terrible decision to take on debt for PI.

I would also take with a grain of salt what that 30 year old anecdote said above, since you don't know his financial situation. Something like a third of T-14 students graduate without debt (due to parents being rich), so who knows what his financial situation is. (And yes, in my experience like a third of my friends at T-14 had families with 10 million+. They went to law school for no legitimate reason except and it was a luxury item to them).

And remember, final lesson, money >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:52 am

Notareallawyer123 wrote:Hey everyone,

And then I just recently got off the Stanford waitlist, which is my dream school, and California is my target market (plus I'm really shooting for a Federal Clerkship).

But the big hang up is that I have a $100k scholarship to Chicago (and to a lesser extent the hours and tons of money making the move).

So am I crazy to consider this offer to Stanford? Obviously the money difference is huge, but Stanford is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Maybe see if u can defer for a year, pull out and gather some more funds, and go to stanford next year?

Cali is your target market and Stanford is your dream school, maybe thats the place for u.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

(Future poor).

Never take advice from lawyers without knowing their financial background. It's easy dishing out "don't take the money" advice 15 years later when you aren't fucked with debt.

Clerks get paid shit and the clerkship bonus is shit. Also most clerks end up back in biglaw anyway. If this COA clerk is still talking about regretting his own school decision 10 years later, and even thinking about that shit 10 years later, then he really sounds like an insecure, prestige whore retard whose advice shouldn't matter regardless of his financial background.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:02 am

FirmBiz wrote:

Maybe see if u can defer for a year, pull out and gather some more funds, and go to stanford next year?

Cali is your target market and Stanford is your dream school, maybe thats the place for u.
You cant defer off the wait list

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 am

Accidental quote
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
FirmBiz wrote:

You can't defer off the wait list
That suck then. And I assume he can't break the lease without penalty.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:15 am

No, you are not crazy to consider the Stanford offer. The better question is whether or not accepting the Stanford offer would be foolish in light of your recent move to Chicago to attend Chicago law with a $100,000 scholarship.

Since your target market is California, much depends upon your finances. Stay put if you will be attending Stanford on loans since Chicago can get you to a federal clerkship & to the West Coast. If from a wealthy & generous family, then it becomes a personal decision, in my opinion.

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:59 am

If your family can soften the difference in cost of attendance, I'd hie to Stanford while you can still shake the UChi stench.

CLS389

New

Post by CLS389 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:26 pm

I had already accepted at Cornell where I had almost a full scholarship when I got off the wait list at Stanford last year and received no money. I simply couldn't afford Stanford. It was heartbreaking to turn down my dream school at the time. However, now I have summer associate offers from top California firms (with no prior ties). At the end of the day, getting a job you love is the end goal. It is possible to go to another well-ranked law school and get the same job as Stanford students. I am transactional so I don't know about clerkships, but I know Cornell has produced several high-ranking California judges too.

Bottomline: If you work hard at UChicago, I don't think your options will be limited by any means.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:27 pm

It would be absolutely insane to go to Stanford without some money. Insane. Don't listen to 0/1Ls.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:51 pm

WheninLaw wrote:It would be absolutely insane to go to Stanford without some money. Insane. Don't listen to 0/1Ls.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Stay put unless SLS gives you $100K. The difference is not worth $100K.

I'll counter the 0L/1L anecdotes with my own. I graduated from SLS years ago and just finally paid off my debt after working like a dog in biglaw. All those years and hours just to be at networth positive. If someone gave me $100K to go to another T10 school I'd take it in a heartbeat.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:36 pm

legends159 wrote:Stay put unless SLS gives you $100K. The difference is not worth $100K.

I'll counter the 0L/1L anecdotes with my own. I graduated from SLS years ago and just finally paid off my debt after working like a dog in biglaw. All those years and hours just to be at networth positive. If someone gave me $100K to go to another T10 school I'd take it in a heartbeat.
I remember when I finally reached a positive net worth - amazing day (no longer poorer than a homeless person). Then I also realized, I don't like practicing law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”