Part-Time vs. Full Time Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Full Time Or Part Time?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:30 am

Full Time
50%
Part Time
50%

Total votes: 6

New

Part-Time vs. Full Time

Post by 01020304050607 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:30 am

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Part-Time vs. Full Time

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 am

Give us some more detail on 'Why go into law.' You are currently in a job that pays better than the vast majority of what recent law grads make, and those jobs that pay more don't come with any guarantees that you'll be around long enough to see a significant income difference. Without more I'd recommend not going to law school. Getting into a firm will be hard and starting out on your own after law school is generally (but not 100% certainly) a disastrous proposition.

But let's say you're going to do law school anyway. As a part-time student myself, I generally don't recommend it. It takes longer than a regular law program (which already seems too long for most people), you might not get access to scholarship money, and you have to compete, even in the part time sections, with people who aren't working or are working very little.

In the abstract, going part time is OK I guess, especially if you can pay down the cost of going. Ultimately though, going full time on a scholarship is usually a better value proposition.

But seriously don't go to law school.

Revision: Don't go to law school. Just don't do it.
Last edited by TLSModBot on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:53 am

Leaving a six figure job to go to Temple law might be one of the dumbest propositions I've seen ever on this website

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am

PoopNpants wrote:Leaving a six figure job to go to Temple law might be one of the dumbest propositions I've seen ever on this website

callmekimba

New

Post by callmekimba » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:06 am

Dr. Review wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:Leaving a six figure job to go to Temple law might be one of the dumbest propositions I've seen ever on this website

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:59 am

Your other post said you are "an extremely driven person who has finished at the top academically in every area of school I have participated in".

If that's true, why would you go to Temple? LSAT?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 am

I 100% agree that you shouldn't go to law school

If you do go, it 100% has to be part time. There is no way around it. Do. Not. Go. Full. Time.

D
O

N
O
T

G
O

F
U
L
L

T
I
M
E

You have to keep that job. You have to. You just have to.

Good law school grades and summer associate positions are for people doing big law, which you say you have no interest in. The only way you would ever become the type of lawyer you envision being would be by starting out as a solo. For that your grades and where you went to school won't really matter, you just need the JD.

To be clear, I think going to law school part time to try and become a solo is probably a colossally bad decision. The odds of you wasting a lot of precious time and money will be quite high. But I respect the fact that You Only Live Once so if you really want to give it a shot then part time is your only option. Just don't give up the day job.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:10 am

Also Temple doesn't have a killer trial advocacy problem and even if they do it won't matter one bit.

New

Post by 01020304050607 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:40 am

It's tough, just when I think I have made a decision, I get this feedback. It really makes you think...don't do it. It's also tough because my desire to go over the previous couple of years has only grown. The overall consensus from most lawyers and people on this web page is not to go AT ALL (part-time / full time / doesn't matter...just don't do it). Then, you will speak to that 1 lawyer who tells you it is totally worth it. Makes you think. Not to sound conceded, but having a good job kind of gets you stuck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 01020304050607 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:41 am

Regardless, thanks for the advice guys!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:49 pm

tub54549 wrote:Regardless, thanks for the advice guys!
If you live in Philly, retake the LSAT and go to Penn. That is really the only situation that would make it worth leaving a six figure job.

If for some reason you do go to Temple, definitely don't go full time. If you do, the most likely scenario is that you make less than half of what you make now. Keep the job!

Don't listen to older lawyers, they have no idea how hard it is to get good jobs nowadays. Back in the 70s and 80s going to Temple and Villanova almost guaranteed good results. Definitely not the case in today's market.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:09 pm

tub54549 wrote:It's tough, just when I think I have made a decision, I get this feedback. It really makes you think...don't do it. It's also tough because my desire to go over the previous couple of years has only grown. The overall consensus from most lawyers and people on this web page is not to go AT ALL (part-time / full time / doesn't matter...just don't do it). Then, you will speak to that 1 lawyer who tells you it is totally worth it. Makes you think. Not to sound conceded, but having a good job kind of gets you stuck.
Yeah it's funny how having a good, high paying job makes spending money to get a shitty job seem like a terrible idea.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
If you live in Philly, retake the LSAT and go to Penn. That is really the only situation that would make it worth leaving a six figure job.

If for some reason you do go to Temple, definitely don't go full time. If you do, the most likely scenario is that you make less than half of what you make now. Keep the job!

Don't listen to older lawyers, they have no idea how hard it is to get good jobs nowadays. Back in the 70s and 80s going to Temple and Villanova almost guaranteed good results. Definitely not the case in today's market.
OP said they have no desire for big law. What is the point of going to Penn in that situation?

OP, don't go to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:22 pm

stasg wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

OP said they have no desire for big law. What is the point of going to Penn in that situation?

OP, don't go to law school.
Did not read the part about not wanting big law. But yeah, don't go to law school

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:47 pm

callmekimba wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Between the two options, part-time is the better option. My impression, however, is that a part-time MBA program might be a better alternative for you.
Unfortunately, any advice offered here is about as good as the information which you have shared. Why medical malpractice ? What is your current job & what are your qualifications ?

New

Post by 01020304050607 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:26 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:07 am

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 am

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:12 pm

tub54549 wrote:2. the ability, experience, and desire of testifying in court.
But lawyers don't testify in court. You might try to develop a practice as an expert witness?

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:06 pm

If you're in your mid-20s and quit a job that's paying you six figures, which only requires you to work 7 out of every 14 days, you are out of your mind.

If you quit that job to go to Temple to try to become a PI/Med Mal solo, you need to be locked up for your own good until the fever passes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Paul Campos wrote:If you're in your mid-20s and quit a job that's paying you six figures, which only requires you to work 7 out of every 14 days, you are out of your mind.

If you quit that job to go to Temple to try to become a PI/Med Mal solo, you need to be locked up for your own good until the fever passes.
Professor Campos is spot on. Not only are you not likely to make a similar salary out of Temple, you would be racking up a bunch of debt. Going part-time and keeping the job would be your only logical approach here. Keeping the job will stop you from accumulating soul-crushing debt, and if the law thing doesn't work out, you still have your current career to fall back on.

New

Post by 01020304050607 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Respectfully, as I mentioned in my first posting, I would be able to graduate from Temple Law with 0 debt.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:55 pm

tub54549 wrote:Respectfully, as I mentioned in my first posting, I would be able to graduate from Temple Law with 0 debt.
While this is an admirable position to be in, one that might normally justify law school, the opportunity cost alone of attending is too high. Not to mention that zero debt does not equal 0 dollars spent on tuition. This could be a different conversation if the school you were considering was much higher up the ladder for the same debt load, but with your current income, I would still be loathe to recommend law school as any kind of a viable path.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:19 pm

Doesn't seem like a great idea but, ultimately, it's your life and your choice to make. If you do decide to do it, I agree with the others that keeping the job and going part-time is key. Also, if you do decide to do it, I hope you have networked with attorneys you worked with through your current career.

I'd advise you against going solo out of law school. If you want to go into personal injury and medical malpractice, I think the best thing you could do is talk to the small to mid sized niche firms in your area to try and work for them. Hell, it would be good for you if you connected with some of those lawyers before deciding whether to enter law school. They might have good advice for you.

But going solo is very risky and it would be less risky if you could start out and learn the ropes from experienced lawyers in that field. Plus, it would allow you to build your network of lawyers which is key for medical malpractice and personal injury. Because referrals from other attorneys can be huge for you when you decide to strike out on your own.(plus, it would help if you do strike out on your own to have a small law firm instead of a solo office)

Anyways, the safe play is to stick with your current job. I don't know if you like it or not but it seems like a pretty good gig. If you do like it, keep in mind that you might not enjoy being a lawyer. But if you're intent on taking the risk and going into medical malpractice or personal injury, what I said above is the best advice I can give you.

It can be lucrative but there's a better chance that you strike out. If you go solo, you have to have a way to get clients in the door. And it's costly and risky to try cases.(especially when you're starting out)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”