PLEASE HELP!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
APIII

PLEASE HELP!

Postby APIII » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help and insight from you ladies and gentlemen. I'm having a little difficulty deciding what I will be doing come August. Honestly, I was a slacker in undergrad and it shows on both my GPA and LSAT scores. My crappy credentials have put me in a tough spot and I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm going to do.

The two options I'm deciding between are starting law school at a lower ranked school than I want to and ultimately try to be at least in the top 15% of my class so I can transfer to a better school after my 1L or completing a Jusris Master's program as a precursor to my JD. The reasoning behind the second option would be so that I could take that year to study for my LSAT once more (hopefully third time is the charm) and hopefully getting good grades in a Masters program would show them my caliber of work is a lot higher now than it was in my undergrad career. Not only that, but I don't want to live at home with my parents anymore. At least enrolling in school would open opportunities to federal loans so I can move on my own as well. I've tried looking for jobs for months now (especially in the legal field) and I've fell short every time. Not only that, but taking another year off means I'm gonna have to start making student loan payments in September, I had them deferred for a year.

This is the bottom line:

Considering masters at Wake Forest and University of Georgia.
WF: Paying 16k for masters (24k scholly)
UGA: Paying 16k for masters (In-State tuition remission award)

Considering JD at University of Lousiville and University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
UL: 36k full price tuition
UALR: $0 due to a full scholarship for all 3 years (as long as I stay in the top 50% of my class)

My credentials and plans:

My career goal is to go into BIG law in the sports entertainment, media, or health policy law field. States I wouldn't mind practicing in would include Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Alabama.

Originally from Florida and graduated from a Florida state school.
Undergrad GPA: 3.0
LSAC GPA: 2.9
LSAT SCores: February 2014 (140 w/ never have opening a book)
December 2014 (151 w/ minimal studying)

Please help!

APIII

PLEASE HELP!

Postby APIII » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help and insight from you ladies and gentlemen. I'm having a little difficulty deciding what I will be doing come August. Honestly, I was a slacker in undergrad and it shows on both my GPA and LSAT scores. My crappy credentials have put me in a tough spot and I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm going to do.

The two options I'm deciding between are starting law school at a lower ranked school than I want to and ultimately try to be at least in the top 15% of my class so I can transfer to a better school after my 1L or completing a Jusris Master's program as a precursor to my JD. The reasoning behind the second option would be so that I could take that year to study for my LSAT once more (hopefully third time is the charm) and hopefully getting good grades in a Masters program would show them my caliber of work is a lot higher now than it was in my undergrad career. Not only that, but I don't want to live at home with my parents anymore. At least enrolling in school would open opportunities to federal loans so I can move on my own as well. I've tried looking for jobs for months now (especially in the legal field) and I've fell short every time. Not only that, but taking another year off means I'm gonna have to start making student loan payments in September, I had them deferred for a year.

This is the bottom line:

Considering JD at University of Lousiville and University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
UALR: $0 due to a full scholarship for all 3 years (as long as I stay in the top 50% of my class)

My career goal is to go into BIG law in the sports entertainment, media, or health policy law field. States I wouldn't mind practicing in would include Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Alabama.

Please help!

APIII

PLEASE HELP!

Postby APIII » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:43 pm

This is the bottom line:

Please help!

Mack.Hambleton

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:02 pm

there's so much wrong with this I hope it's a flame

your goals are very unlikely to happen to any school you get into so not going at all is probably your best bet

If you still want to be a lawyer for some reason then just work for the next year or two while studying for retakes, don't spend even more money on worthless masters degrees

still

Postby still » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:05 pm

it will be VERY difficult to get the job prospects you're seeking at the law schools you are considering attending. Also, judging from your past academic records you being in the top 15% of your class is totally uncertain. this is confounded with law school grades being totally different from undergrad grades.

your low lsat scores, even considering minimal preparation, suggest that you might not have the natural reasoning talent some have to make up for poor past work ethic, etc

the legal market is in TERRIBLE shape. you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself whether you're ready to completely lock down and read/outline for 5 or more hours a day every day.

grad school might not be a bad option, but in my opinion, if you want the best possible option for biglaw, etc and you're dead serious on lawyer lyf...

i would get a skilled job for a year (teacher, etc). go balls out on your last lsat attempt and get a 170+.

with some work experience and a 170+ you'll have a solid shot at northwestern, gulc, ucla, vanderbilt and you'd be a shoo-in at other lower t20s.
get top grades 1L year, kill OCI, etc and you'll be on a good track for biglaw

APIII

Postby APIII » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I really appreciate the insight (still). I've been looking for skilled jobs or anything in the legal field and it simply isn't working for me. Nobody is trying to hire a 22 year old with a BA in political science to teach for a year. Don't think the masters program is a bad idea huh? Only one year, relatively cheap, and gives me time to study. Not only that, but a lot of the classes for the masters in law program are the same ones you take your 1lL (such as contracts, torts, etc), so when I do start law school, I'll have a tremendous advantage!

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 am

Basically just going to second Mack's statement, none of your options seem viable. Do not get a Juris Masters (I honestly had never heard of them before today, but a cursory look makes it seem like it would be utterly useless ESPECIALLY if you go on to get a JD), a high Masters GPA does not mean anything really for admissions. Just try working for a year (maybe set sights lower) even a very entry level job at some office (like mail room even) would be much more useful than a useless JM which you are paying for. Continue living at home if you can stomach it to save what money you make to help pay for law school. STUDY for the LSAT (minimal studying should never be accepted unless you somehow get 175+ with that), every point in your range is worth thousands. Realize that working Biglaw is probably out of the question for you unless you drastically improve your LSAT - which means when you do go to law school it should be for near free.

Just work somewhere for a year, a year unemployed is probably better than the options you laid out. I do not know how flexible they are in the states but in Canada you can get a lot of flexibility in when you start paying back loans if you say something like you are studying the LSAT to go to law school.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 am

Your options are not viable. As you stated, you were slacking un undergrad AND you decided not to take the LSAT seriously. Why will law school be any different. And even if you were to be a gunner AND get lucky, your chances of landing BIGLAW or some unicorn sports/entertainment gig are slim to none.

callmekimba

Postby callmekimba » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 am

More school is not going to help you. I have never heard of a "juries masters" but it sounds like a scam for schools to get extra tuition out of money from people in exactly your position. The way I see it, you have two ways to salvage this mess you have created for yourself:

1. Start actuly working and knock the lsat out of the park, at which point splitter advice comes in to play.

2. Work for like 5 years in the geographical area you want to practice law in and have solid Recs from employer and more importantly a reliable network of people who want to hire you.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Going to school for another year with no hope of a job afterwards isn't the best idea. Keep looking for a job (even if it's not legal), keep living with your parents, and if you really really really need to be a lawyer, put more than minimal preparation into the LSAT.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:56 pm

APIII wrote:The two options I'm deciding between are starting law school at a lower ranked school than I want to and ultimately try to be at least in the top 15% of my class so I can transfer to a better school after my 1L

Do not do this. It's literally a 90%-95% chance you will fail. Those odds do not warrant the risk. Do not go to a law school you would not want to graduate from.

That being said the harsh reality of your situation is you shouldn't go to law school. Salaries are bimodal. Law school is expensive. The schools you want to attend will give you much difficulty in paying back your loans. If you were a slacker in UG/studying for the LSAT, you likely won't be any different. I'm sorry to be blunt - I care enough about you to try to prevent you from making a dumb decision.

Taking time off, gaining work experience, and absolutely killing the LSAT is what you should do if you want to be a lawyer. How did you study for the LSAT the second time?

stego

Postby stego » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Don't go to a bad law school with the intention of transferring to a good law school.

Don't do a pointless master's degree that won't get you a job and rack up more student loan debt.

You didn't tell us what you got on your first two attempts, but you should study properly for the LSAT if you want to go to law school.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:00 pm

stasg wrote:You didn't tell us what you got on your first two attempts, but you should study properly for the LSAT if you want to go to law school.

140 and 151 - it's in the OP. Still needs to properly study for the LSAT a third time if he/she wants to go.

slippa

Postby slippa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

APIII wrote: hopefully getting good grades in a Masters program would show them my caliber of work is a lot higher now than it was in my undergrad career.

Unfortunately, from our experience, the general consensus on the forums that law schools only care about your undergrad GPA seems to be the truth. (This time last year, we didn't want to believe it either!) My daughter had a 3.2 undergrad in a science and a 3.8 from a top tier grad school. She did not get into a T14, even though the rest of her application and softs seemed strong. She was waitlisted at a few schools ranked in the 30's, accepted with scholarships at some places in the mid-50's to 70's.

stego

Postby stego » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:51 pm

KMart wrote:
stasg wrote:You didn't tell us what you got on your first two attempts, but you should study properly for the LSAT if you want to go to law school.

140 and 151 - it's in the OP. Still needs to properly study for the LSAT a third time if he/she wants to go.

Sorry, my bad. I agree with that - OP needs to actually study.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 pm

You don't need to make the thread twice, you will get the same answers.

stego

Postby stego » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:54 pm

KMart wrote:You don't need to make the thread twice, you will get the same answers.

These threads were created 1 minute apart and have identiical (I think) OPs. Probably created two by accident?

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:56 pm

stasg wrote:
KMart wrote:You don't need to make the thread twice, you will get the same answers.

These threads were created 1 minute apart and have identiical (I think) OPs. Probably created two by accident?

Different foras though. I think it was deliberate because OP didn't know where to post it. I don't mind where it's posted, but murking TLS with duplicate threads is obnoxious (or maybe I'm just OCD).

stego

Postby stego » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:58 pm

KMart wrote:
stasg wrote:

Different foras though. I think it was deliberate because OP didn't know where to post it. I don't mind where it's posted, but murking TLS with duplicate threads is obnoxious (or maybe I'm just OCD).

No that's fair.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:41 pm

The duplicate threads have been merged for the above reasons.

APIII

Postby APIII » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for all the input everybody! I'm set on law school and will get to busting my chops studying on my third LSAT attempt. No half-assing it this time around. What I have learned this cycle is that there is no tricking the system or taking shortcuts in this law school business. May my situation be a learning experience for all.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”