Washington & Lee vs. Richmond vs. George Mason

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dr. Review

Re: Washington & Lee vs. Richmond vs. George Mason

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:19 am

BigZuck wrote:Er, right yeah median is median not mode. Still I wouldn't expect sizeable numbers to be making around 100K, especially at these schools.

This is not how mode works either.

Median - middle number of a set of numbers (e.g., the median of 3,3,3,5,6,6,7 is 5)
Mode - most frequently occurring number in the set (e.g., the mode of 3,3,3,5,6,6,7 is 3)
Mean - average of the numbers of a given set (e.g., the mean of 3,3,3,5,6,6,7 is 4.7)

Of the 3, mean is most heavily skewed by a number too far from the middle, but does provide an arithmetic middle number, whether the mean exists within the set or not. Mode is unaffected, but does not reflect the middle of a set of numbers. Median is affected only by the number of values in a set, rather than the quantity of each value, and therefore reflects the middle-most value of the set, rather than an average of the set of numbers.
Last edited by Dr. Review on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Er, right yeah median is median not mode. Still I wouldn't expect sizeable numbers to be making around 100K, especially at these schools.

Meh you were close enough with the math

Confusing median with average was still dumb of me because I didn't do it in another thread I posted in last night, but I did in this one. Oh well.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 am

And now I said mode when I meant mean

:|

Eta: at least there is a doctor here to review my work

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:24 am

Guy from pittsburgh gets engaged to girl from nova. Must go to law school to get her parents' approval.

Edit: also, I'm almost positive bigzuck used median correctly in his first 40, 160, 100 example. In an even set of numbers, you take the average between the two middle numbers to find the median.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:33 am

Clemenceau wrote:Guy from pittsburgh gets engaged to girl from nova. Must go to law school to get her parents' approval.

Edit: also, I'm almost positive bigzuck used median correctly in his first 40, 160, 100 example. In an even set of numbers, you take the average between the two middle numbers to find the median.

SUCCESS

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

Clemenceau wrote:Edit: also, I'm almost positive bigzuck used median correctly in his first 40, 160, 100 example. In an even set of numbers, you take the average between the two middle numbers to find the median.
Only if there are an even number of values, even then, not always.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:44 am

Dr. Review wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Edit: also, I'm almost positive bigzuck used median correctly in his first 40, 160, 100 example. In an even set of numbers, you take the average between the two middle numbers to find the median.

There was an even number of values fwiw. Good job zuck.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:48 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:

There was an even number of values fwiw. Good job zuck.

Fair enough. Let's get back on topic. OP, don't go to law school.

stego

Postby stego » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:41 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
dKb wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Quantify "comfortable" and "upper-middle class" please. What kind of salary are you aiming for here?

I would be happy with something between 80-90 thousand a year. I think that would be enough to live well in small to moderate size cities in Virginia.

Can you point to any jobs that pay this?

I think my dad made around 80k as a state prosecutor. This was after working as a county prosecutor for 10 years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”