Choosing schools based on money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
teammelo09

Choosing schools based on money

Postby teammelo09 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi, so I currently live in Tampa, Florida and have been fortunate enough to narrow my choices of schools to local schools. Stetson Law has been my most realistic top school choice since I decided I wanted to attend law school as my undergraduate GPA and LSAT were a tad bit lower than the averages at FSU and UF. Stetson is local from where I live now, and a top 100 school, but however, they put me on the waitlist until recently, which means that although I have been admitted, I am getting no scholarship money so the full $40000 tuition is all mine. During the waitlist period, I was admitted to Barry Law in Orlando, an hour and a half or so away and received a $20000 scholarship, bringing my tuition to $15000. All signs point to Stetson being significantly better, and being the school that provides the most opportunities of the two schools, but $75000 is a big difference that has me questioning is the gap between the schools that big. Now I can earn scholarship after my first year at Stetson, and the money I can save on relocating and living on my own closes that gap between the costs a bit, but it will still be a lot more money. Is anyone familiar with Stetson, or Barry that can elaborate on their experiences or give their thoughts on my situation. If Stetson is that much better of a school, with that much of a better reputation, its a risk I am willing to take.

KMart

Re: Choosing schools based on money

Postby KMart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:39 pm

What is your major?

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm

What are your goals, career and location, how many times have you taken the LSAT, and when you say your GPA is a tad low for FSU and UF, how much are you talking about?

teammelo09

Postby teammelo09 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:50 pm

I want to do Corporate/Business Law, or Personal Injury Law. My Undergraduate major was Psychology, and my GPA was a 3.1. I took the LSAC twice; 145 the first time, and 153 the second. I did apply at FSU and UF, but did not get in. I would like to stay and work in the Tampa area, and my career goals are to have my own firm one day after gaining some work experience.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:05 pm

You're not going to get a single person here to tell you to take either of those options. Neither one of them has a very good shot at putting you into a career you're aiming for, and both will rack up massive amounts of debt onto you.

Why corporate? Did you take a lot of accounting or finance classes in undergrad?

If you're absolutely set on law school and will not consider any other career path, the only defensible option I can see would be to retake a third time in hopes of getting an LSAT that would get you into UF/FSU with decent scholarship discounts.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Avoid both schools. Do not consider Stetson at anything less than a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years. Retake the LSAT.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Neither of these schools are worth attending

teammelo09

Postby teammelo09 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:24 pm

any particular reason you guys say that?

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

teammelo09 wrote:any particular reason you guys say that?

The cost of attending does not justify the chances of a job coupled with the average salary of the job.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

teammelo09 wrote:any particular reason you guys say that?

Oh Ms Browning, Let me count the ways...

teammelo09

Postby teammelo09 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:03 pm

The cost is the only reason Barry is even being considered, because 15000 is nothing compared to some other schools. Would you guys say even if being a top ranking after the first year at Stetson, it would be impossible to transfer to a school like FSU, UF, or even FIU. I ask Stetson because based on ranking and reputation, it seems more possible to do this at Stetson than at Barry. I am going to law school, already turned down a BIG raise at my current job I am unhappy with, so there is no question about it.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm

You could definitely transfer to UF/FSU/FIU after 1st year, but you'll most likely be paying full tuition, which usually isn't worth it at those schools.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

teammelo09 wrote:The cost is the only reason Barry is even being considered, because 15000 is nothing compared to some other schools. Would you guys say even if being a top ranking after the first year at Stetson, it would be impossible to transfer to a school like FSU, UF, or even FIU. I ask Stetson because based on ranking and reputation, it seems more possible to do this at Stetson than at Barry. I am going to law school, already turned down a BIG raise at my current job I am unhappy with, so there is no question about it.

Sounds like you're just making good decisions one after another.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:14 pm

teammelo09 wrote:The cost is the only reason Barry is even being considered, because 15000 is nothing compared to some other schools. Would you guys say even if being a top ranking after the first year at Stetson, it would be impossible to transfer to a school like FSU, UF, or even FIU. I ask Stetson because based on ranking and reputation, it seems more possible to do this at Stetson than at Barry. I am going to law school, already turned down a BIG raise at my current job I am unhappy with, so there is no question about it.

This is like some Stannis level shit right here

Sacrifice a good thing, plunge yourself into debt on a small chance of very mild success. No one should ever have transferring to FIU law as a goal.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Don't bet on transferring. You don't know how you'll do as a 1L.

Best advice I can give is to echo the sentiments of those that say retake the LSAT and score higher. Put everything you have into studying for it and conquering it.

I'm not going to tell you not to attend Stetson. Some people here get too wrapped up in name value. But I will say that if you do attend Stetson, you better be getting a BIG scholarship.(like full tuition)

You can be successful coming out of Stetson (I know quite a few Florida lawyers that have been) but you need to have strong grades and network well. And neither things are assured. So if you're going there, you better not be racking up a lot of debt. Because it's a risk.

Short version: retake and get a higher LSAT score.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 pm

OP how did you prepare for your first two tests? Can you retract your earlier stance with your current employer and kick it there for a year while studying more scrupulously for the LSAT?

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

This is like some Stannis level shit right here

Sacrifice a good thing, plunge yourself into debt on a small chance of very mild success. No one should ever have transferring to FIU law as a goal.

LMAO you sir have zero chill

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:41 pm

OP, how much would you have made if you took the raise?

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

RUN OP! As fast as you can!

Do not consider either one of these options. Really contemplate on the reasons for going to law school in general. Hang out with a local attorney from one of these sterling institutions and have him/her give it to you straight. If you still have a burning desire after that, RETAKE and reapply.

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Transferring is a poor goal. The same people who did well enough to transfer also did well enough to get employment of some sort. You might as well say "well, I plan to be in the top 10% of the class." This isn't the LSAT; you only get one shot. Your past academic performance and your LSAT performance give you no reason to believe that you are going to blow everyone else out of the park and land in the top tenth of the class.

Hopefully, you've already seen these:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/barry/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/stetson/

Return to “Choosing a Law School”