Need Advice Choosing a Transfer School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
transferihope

Need Advice Choosing a Transfer School

Postby transferihope » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:57 am

i posted this in the transfer forum as well, but I thought maybe it would get more traffic here.

I just completed my 1L at a lower ranked T1 school (40-50) and I am in the top 1-2% of my class. I was admitted early action at GULC and have now applied to Harvard, CLS, NYU, UPenn.

I have my doubts about whether I will get into HLS, but the transfer forum seems to think I have a shot. I am cautiously optimistic about the other schools.

As far as career goals: I would very much like to work in DC Biglaw, but I know that it's a tough market even for T14 students and I would assume even more difficult for transfers. NYC would be my second choice.

What I'm wondering is (other than HLS) what school would give me the best chance of landing a DC SA position at OCI? I was thinking maybe it would be GULC, but I'm also worried that there would be a decent chance that I strike out entirely there.

As a follow up question, in the event that I was to get into all these schools, is there any way that picking one over HLS would be defensible? I'm thinking that the answer to this is probably no, but in terms of geographic preference for schools my order would be:

Georgetown
Penn

NYC/Columbia

Harvard

I hate having to ask this question before I have actually heard back from any of these schools, but I am worried that admittances/rejections may take some time and I will have to make a decision rather quickly after I figure out where I get in.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me and please let me know if you need more information from me in order to give more informed advice.

transferihope

Re: Need Advice Choosing a Transfer School

Postby transferihope » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Really missed the boat on the whole "this will get more play on this board" thing.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Penn will allow you to get there. I know several people who transferred there who were able to get offers at DC firms from Penn. People who were near the top of their class at their old school were generally able to do so, at least a few years ago when I was there. I think Penn benefits from being only 2 hrs from DC via train, so the commute for OCI interviewers is very easy. PM if you want more details.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Do you have a scholarship at your current school? If so, I would stay. Top 1-2% at even a T2 school is a good place to be.

transferihope

Postby transferihope » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 pm

I have a moderate scholarship at my current school, but nothing outrageous. My family is good for about half the remaining total COA at any of the aforementioned schools, so I will need to take on some debt but it definitely seems worth it to me. My current school has approximately 5 firms from my target areas coming to OCI. Regardless, I am pretty set on leaving.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”