Prestige/Placement vs Money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pineappleman

Prestige/Placement vs Money

Postby pineappleman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:09 pm

For around $10k difference in overall tuition + coa for all 3 years of law school, is it better to take the higher prestige/less money school or the school that gives you more money if the rankings are not super far apart?
Last edited by pineappleman on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: USC ($$) vs UCLA ($$)

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:12 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Postby 071816 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

didn't you just make this exact thread last week?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:14 pm

It would help to know the projected total cost of attendance for each school over the course of three years.
Also, UCLA for better job placement, not prestige, although it seems to be more prestigious as well.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Prestige/Placement vs Money

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:23 pm

UCLA and USC are essentially peer schools
$10k over three years is not enough to make a decision on (where do you want to live?)

pineappleman

Postby pineappleman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:UCLA and USC are essentially peer schools
$10k over three years is not enough to make a decision on (where do you want to live?)

SoCal is where I want to live/work after law school.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:19 am

PAman, I think you now have to balance the money you save now in (little) differences in scholarships with the environment that you know you need to perform better academically.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:42 am

As always this is context dependent. Yes, it's better to take CLS at over GT - 10K. No, it's not better to do that over school a school ranked 50 and another ranked 65 if there are not ties issues involved.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:36 am

No one cares about the rankings of the schools

I would pay/borrow an extra $10k for any measurable bump in employment/placement or added geographic flexibility in my target market. I might even pay $10k for a more personal factor - which city its in, ect. Wouldn't pay $10k for a slot on a commercial magazine

stego

Postby stego » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:59 pm

If UCLA and USC are the choices how does asking where OP wants to live help? They're both in LA. Is their geographic placement record different at all in any meaningful way?

Postby 071816 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 pm

stasg wrote:

If UCLA and USC are the choices how does asking where OP wants to live help? They're both in LA. Is their geographic placement record different at all in any meaningful way?

I think the person might have meant where does op want to live during law school. but even if that's the case, that shouldn't really make a difference here because which school you attend doesn't have to determine where you'll live. the schools are only 11 miles apart.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:47 pm

chimp wrote:
stasg wrote:

I think the person might have meant where does op want to live during law school. but even if that's the case, that shouldn't really make a difference here because which school you attend doesn't have to determine where you'll live. the schools are only 11 miles apart.

westwood and south-central LA are about as different as you can get.

ETA: it takes about 40 mins in traffic to get from USC to UCLA. the 10 and the 405 are both pains in the ass.

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 am

dabigchina wrote:
chimp wrote:
stasg wrote:

ETA: it takes about 40 mins in traffic to get from USC to UCLA. the 10 and the 405 are both pains in the ass.

newsflash: you don't have to fucking live in the neighborhood of the school that you attend. you could live somewhere in the middle of usc and ucla or you could live in any other part of la. lots of usc kids live in culver city for example.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 am

chimp wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
chimp wrote:
stasg wrote:

newsflash: you don't have to fucking live in the neighborhood of the school that you attend. you could live somewhere in the middle of usc and ucla or you could live in any other part of la. lots of usc kids live in culver city for example.

Lol not sure why you are mad, but out of all my friends who go to usc exactly 0 live in culver city. I have a lot of friends who go/went to usc.

Eta: actually now that I think about it I knew one girl who lived in sawtelle. she said the commute was horrendous and she would have never done it if she was not living with her sister who was going to ucla. But what do I know I'm just a 0l.

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 am

dabigchina wrote:Lol not sure why you are mad, but out of all my friends who go to usc exactly 0 live in culver city. I have a lot of friends who go/went to usc.

Eta: actually now that I think about it I knew one girl who lived in sawtelle. she said the commute was horrendous and she would have never done it if she was not living with her sister who was going to ucla. But what do I know I'm just a 0l.

I'm mad because you're a fucking moron

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:18 pm

chimp wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Lol not sure why you are mad, but out of all my friends who go to usc exactly 0 live in culver city. I have a lot of friends who go/went to usc.

Driving from Culver City to USC and back every day would be pretty fucking miserable though. Then again this is one of the few stretches in the city where you can just take the metro.
Either way choosing which of these schools on the basis of their location is pretty dumb; just visit 'm both and see where you like it and/or go to the cheapest one.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:10 pm

chimp wrote:

Come back when you have something valuable to add - like actual life experience.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Hand wrote:
chimp wrote:

Driving from Culver City to USC and back every day would be pretty fucking miserable though. Then again this is one of the few stretches in the city where you can just take the metro.
Either way choosing which of these schools on the basis of their location is pretty dumb; just visit 'm both and see where you like it and/or go to the cheapest one.

I think this is the way to go. 10k is real money, but not that much so if you really like UCLA more than USC then go with it. But if they're basically even and the only thing is location and a couple spots on USNWR, save the money

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:29 pm

This is getting pretty ugly, but--

- Culver City is the third most popular neighborhood that USC Gould students choose to live. (8.5% do.) (Source: USC Law First Year Housing Guide)
- I'm pretty sure OP has decided on the school that he wanted to attend, from my last talking with him.

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

[REDACTED FROM THESE FORA]
Last edited by 071816 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:55 am

Modz plz

Return to “Choosing a Law School”