NYU Law ($$$$) vs. GW Law ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: NYU Law ($$$$) vs. GW Law ($$$)

Post by BigZuck » Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 am

Sometimes I love TLS

This is not one of those times

OP-if you can wade through all this and give us a better understanding of what it is you want to get out of law school (job wise) then we can help you here.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 am

Retake, get more scholly$$$, attend NYU for public interest, win

aclang24

New

Post by aclang24 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. At the moment, I am certain that I want to do public interest--as certain as one can be without having gone to law school yet. I interned for two summers at Legal Aid and it seemed very interesting and rewarding. So at the moment that's probably what I would be interested in, ideally. I also interned at the AG's office in Massachusetts when I was in college. It's true that at the moment I am not entirely sure what I want to do within PI, but I am pretty certain that that is the field I want to work in. Obviously this could change if I come across something else while I'm at law school, but for the moment, that's where I've set my sights. What I don't want to do is work in real estate or transactional law, or work at a large firm where I have to sleep under my desk because I'm up working all night.

As for cost of attendance, I would be getting some support from my family, but I don't want to necessarily count on that. As for skipping this round the reapplying/retaking the LSAT next year, that's a good point, but I don't really want to go through all of this again.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but another concern is the fact that I probably wouldn't do as well academically at NYU as I would at GW. Would placing in the middle of the class at NYU leave me substantially worse off career-wise than placing higher up at GW?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 31, 2015 2:47 pm

aclang24 wrote:Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. At the moment, I am certain that I want to do public interest--as certain as one can be without having gone to law school yet. I interned for two summers at Legal Aid and it seemed very interesting and rewarding. So at the moment that's probably what I would be interested in, ideally. I also interned at the AG's office in Massachusetts when I was in college. It's true that at the moment I am not entirely sure what I want to do within PI, but I am pretty certain that that is the field I want to work in. Obviously this could change if I come across something else while I'm at law school, but for the moment, that's where I've set my sights. What I don't want to do is work in real estate or transactional law, or work at a large firm where I have to sleep under my desk because I'm up working all night.

As for cost of attendance, I would be getting some support from my family, but I don't want to necessarily count on that. As for skipping this round the reapplying/retaking the LSAT next year, that's a good point, but I don't really want to go through all of this again.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but another concern is the fact that I probably wouldn't do as well academically at NYU as I would at GW. Would placing in the middle of the class at NYU leave me substantially worse off career-wise than placing higher up at GW?
1.) "Not really wanting to go through all of this again" is not a valid excuse for objecting to a retake
2.) You can't assume that lower-ranked school necessarily means stupider people (whom you will be smarter than). Also, you're barely receiving $ from GW, and I think, grossly underestimating COA.
3.) NYU likely has a better LRAP program

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun May 31, 2015 5:42 pm

aclang24 wrote:Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. At the moment, I am certain that I want to do public interest--as certain as one can be without having gone to law school yet. I interned for two summers at Legal Aid and it seemed very interesting and rewarding. So at the moment that's probably what I would be interested in, ideally. I also interned at the AG's office in Massachusetts when I was in college. It's true that at the moment I am not entirely sure what I want to do within PI, but I am pretty certain that that is the field I want to work in. Obviously this could change if I come across something else while I'm at law school, but for the moment, that's where I've set my sights. What I don't want to do is work in real estate or transactional law, or work at a large firm where I have to sleep under my desk because I'm up working all night.

Would you be ok with working all night and "sleeping under your desk" if it's for a PI job?

You should retake and reapply. Apply again from NYU down and to specific schools in your region - BC, BU, Northeastern (which offers full + stipend) come to mind for New England. Use whatever money you get from T14's to negotiate with these schools and with each other. Then reassess your options March/April of next year.

Going to school now means leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table. The AG's office that you interned at will be able to give you great advice on where to go and what to do, btw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun May 31, 2015 6:11 pm

I think I would just go to the best school that offers you a full ride and places in your target region. NYU seems to be overkill for those career goals.

You don't really sound like a PI diehard though just based on what you have said so far. If you're going to be like a lot of PI-minded 0Ls and just going to try to do the big law thing anyway when OCI rolls around then I think you should retake/reapply and go to a T14 at an appropriate cost.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Even if OP doesn't know what he/she wants to do, taking out huge loans for a top school seems like unquestioningly not-TCR when OP says:
What I don't want to do is work in real estate or transactional law, or work at a large firm where I have to sleep under my desk because I'm up working all night.
So regardless of whether OP ends up in a public interest gig, a government position, or with a small firm that clocks their people out at 5:30 so the janitors can clean the building, it seems like regional school with a full ride in the region OP wants to work in is probably the best option.

That aside, OP, it seems like you have a much better idea of what you don't want to do rather than what you do. Please do yourself a huge favor and squeeze as much money out of your school as you can so that if you decide three years from now that nothing really appeals to you, you can bail entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”