Chicago vs. Northwestern, Both $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dot matrix

Chicago vs. Northwestern, Both $$$

Postby dot matrix » Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi, first time poster. I got accepted off the wait list at Chicago and have until 4:00 EST today to take their offer. I'm currently deposited at Northwestern.

Negotiated Scholarships: Chicago - $135,000, Northwestern - $165,000

Background: I have no practical experience with the Chicago, other than visiting the campus and not really loving it, or the area. I went to Northwestern's ASW and had a great experience, but it was the only T14 ASW I went to, and I can't tell if I just loved it cause that T14 sheen. Based on experience and reputation of student body alone, I feel like Northwestern is a better fit for me (27 yo, work experience, business-oriented). But outside input is telling me opportunities would be greater after law school going to Chicago.

Career Goals: Tech start-up general counsel. I want transactional experience in law school, and working with entrepreneurs is high priority.

Questions: Is there any world where it makes sense to go to Northwestern instead of Chicago with the current scholarship packages? Are the negative rumors true about Chicago?

Thanks for your help!

Auxilio

Re: Chicago vs. Northwestern, Both $$$

Postby Auxilio » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

I think Chicago is probably the better choice here, but you are not insane for consider Northwestern.

My bigger question is did you really get 135,000 scholarship off the waitlist at Chicago?

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:26 pm

I think the placement difference is large enough that an extra $30k in tuition is worth it for Chicago. I'm sure NU would be a better fit, but that's pretty secondary.

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Fri May 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Auxilio wrote:My bigger question is did you really get 135,000 scholarship off the waitlist at Chicago?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Chicago.

dot matrix

Postby dot matrix » Fri May 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Auxilio wrote:I think Chicago is probably the better choice here, but you are not insane for consider Northwestern.

My bigger question is did you really get 135,000 scholarship off the waitlist at Chicago?

Thanks for the input, everybody. And yes, I did get that scholarship off the wait list. It didn't start at that level. But after a week and a half of negotiations and walking away once, it ended up there. Also as a part of that process Northwestern increased significantly. It's been a great week :D

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri May 29, 2015 3:42 pm

dot matrix wrote:Hi, first time poster. I got accepted off the wait list at Chicago and have until 4:00 EST today to take their offer. I'm currently deposited at Northwestern.

Negotiated Scholarships: Chicago - $135,000, Northwestern - $165,000

Background: I have no practical experience with the Chicago, other than visiting the campus and not really loving it, or the area. I went to Northwestern's ASW and had a great experience, but it was the only T14 ASW I went to, and I can't tell if I just loved it cause that T14 sheen. Based on experience and reputation of student body alone, I feel like Northwestern is a better fit for me (27 yo, work experience, business-oriented). But outside input is telling me opportunities would be greater after law school going to Chicago.

Career Goals: Tech start-up general counsel. I want transactional experience in law school, and working with entrepreneurs is high priority.

Questions: Is there any world where it makes sense to go to Northwestern instead of Chicago with the current scholarship packages? Are the negative rumors true about Chicago?

Thanks for your help!

I would definitely take Chicago with that price difference (going to be less than 30k due to COL). The corporate lab or the IJ clinic (http://ij.org/clinic) should give you the experience you want with start-ups.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm

I give you credit for wanting to lean nw here when most of the nw vs chi threads on here involve OPs trying to justify paying 100k more for chi

That being said, I think chi is the call here, unless you're in a bunch of debt or something already.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 29, 2015 3:46 pm

I think you should go to Chicago, especially given your goals. That's a great price for both schools, but the outcome out of Chi is more favorable to the point that it should outweigh the 30k and the intangibles.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 29, 2015 3:53 pm

I agree with Chicago

I think NWs location/atmosphere etc are much better but you gotta go with job prospects

UChicago2017

Postby UChicago2017 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:53 pm

I took Chicago w/ a much larger difference between the scholarships. This isn't a tough decision. You'd make up 10k of that just from the cost of living difference alone. The big law and fed clerkship numbers are far superior, especially if you don't have business WE prior to law school

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Chicago is worth that premium.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Chicago here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”