UT Austin v Alabama Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zippernicus

Bronze

Re: UT Austin v Alabama

Post by zippernicus » Sat May 30, 2015 11:45 am

Hi OP - I just finished 1L at UA as an out of state student with a fairly large scholarship. I've been really happy with my choice, but there are some downsides. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sat May 30, 2015 3:56 pm

You must retake. It seems like your biggest concern is UT not accepting you next cycle, but that's just not going to happen. It's not like your numbers are borderline for instate, you'll have essentially the same options next year if you manage not to improve your LSAT score. The admissions people are not going to spite-reject you simply because you withdrew from the previous cycle.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 30, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree that Texas is too costly & Alabama may not get you where you want to be in Texas. Was your brother able to get interviews with any or many biglaw firms in Texas ? Seems like your brother, a recent Alabama law grad, would be an excellent resource.

While it's tough to forego a full tuition scholarship to a fairly highly ranked law school, it means little if you're not targeting where Alabama places its law grads. It's also difficult to give up on your dream school (Texas), but retaking the LSAT may drastically change your options with a three or four point increase.

How did you prepare for your first two LSAT sittings ?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun May 31, 2015 1:04 am

OP I think Alabama would make a ton of sense for you if you wanted to practice in Alabama or maybe elsewhere in the southeast. I got a slightly better offer from Alabama with slightly better numbers (167/3.93) and I'm retaking. Then again, I don't have your ties to Alabama either. Since you want to practice in Texas, retaking to get more $ at UT or go to a T14 seems like the right move.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sun May 31, 2015 12:05 pm

No way you should take any of these options with the goal of being in Texas. That's a ridiculous amount for UT, and Alabama is not a big player here in Texas, even among firms that take a fair number of high ranking candidates from a bunch of random schools across the South.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Sun May 31, 2015 12:54 pm

DJ JD wrote:No way you should take any of these options with the goal of being in Texas. That's a ridiculous amount for UT, and Alabama is not a big player here in Texas, even among firms that take a fair number of high ranking candidates from a bunch of random schools across the South.
Makes more sense to apply to U of H or SMU next cycle and get a big scholarship.

csp2222

New

Post by csp2222 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:34 pm

I prepared for about 3 weeks prior to the first LSAT, was extremely disappointed with my 159 score. I ended up thinking a section was an experimental when it was not -- never a good strategy. I devoted a lot more of an effort in preparation for the second test, and used up most of the more recent LSAT's for practice tests. I got about 2 hours of sleep the night before the test due to anxiousness/nerves. I did fine on the first couple of sections, but hit my games section (3rd section) and realized I misread a rule half way through my second to last game. I ended up having to guess on 4/6 questions on the final game, and then struggled through the rest of the final sections.

I am fairly confident that I could improve and increase my score by at least a couple of points. I'm willing to do the hard work required to retake successfully, but would definitely prefer to avoid the hell that is retaking the LSAT if it if it turns out that it wouldn't help that much in the long term.

I applied to SMU and received the 30k/yr offer with no stips. Seemed like a fairly solid offer, but Baylor's full-ride offer seemed to be a bit better. Then I eventually decided that I would rather attend Alabama then Baylor all other things being equal. I think I could be happy working in Alabama/SE region, I just have enjoyed the time I have spent in Austin and think it would be a great experience to live there for a couple of years. I honestly don't have much of a preference where I'm working post-graduation. Texas just seems like a strong region.

I'm pretty confident that I want to end up in Public Interest law if possible. Any suggestions on pursuing P.I. within this conversation? I know it can be a tough niche to break into. Thanks for all of the helpful feedback so far.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 pm

It's either Alabama with the full tuition & living stipend award or retake the LSAT & apply to Texas, Michigan & any other T-14 within reason based on your higher LSAT score. Unfortunately, $150,000 for Texas is too much--especially for one with uncertain career goals. Remember that you have a superb GPA that just needs a stronger LSAT to get you several T-14 offers of admission. Of course, affordability within the T-14 is another concern that will depend upon achieving a higher LSAT score.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun May 31, 2015 6:39 pm

Why aren't you considering Vandy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sun May 31, 2015 6:42 pm

csp2222 wrote:I prepared for about 3 weeks prior to the first LSAT, was extremely disappointed with my 159 score. I ended up thinking a section was an experimental when it was not -- never a good strategy. I devoted a lot more of an effort in preparation for the second test, and used up most of the more recent LSAT's for practice tests. I got about 2 hours of sleep the night before the test due to anxiousness/nerves. I did fine on the first couple of sections, but hit my games section (3rd section) and realized I misread a rule half way through my second to last game. I ended up having to guess on 4/6 questions on the final game, and then struggled through the rest of the final sections.

I am fairly confident that I could improve and increase my score by at least a couple of points. I'm willing to do the hard work required to retake successfully, but would definitely prefer to avoid the hell that is retaking the LSAT if it if it turns out that it wouldn't help that much in the long term.

I applied to SMU and received the 30k/yr offer with no stips. Seemed like a fairly solid offer, but Baylor's full-ride offer seemed to be a bit better. Then I eventually decided that I would rather attend Alabama then Baylor all other things being equal. I think I could be happy working in Alabama/SE region, I just have enjoyed the time I have spent in Austin and think it would be a great experience to live there for a couple of years. I honestly don't have much of a preference where I'm working post-graduation. Texas just seems like a strong region.

I'm pretty confident that I want to end up in Public Interest law if possible. Any suggestions on pursuing P.I. within this conversation? I know it can be a tough niche to break into. Thanks for all of the helpful feedback so far.
This is totally understandable, but after your description of your test experience, it's just absolutely vital. 3 extra points will get you AT LEAST $10k/year more at UT, and 4+ points gets you into full ride territory.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sun May 31, 2015 9:25 pm

zippernicus wrote:Hi OP - I just finished 1L at UA as an out of state student with a fairly large scholarship. I've been really happy with my choice, but there are some downsides. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
What do you mean you're happy with your choice? Do you have a job lined up already?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:I will never understand how someone can get a 3.95 GPA and only score a 164 on the LSAT.
Pretty easily. Thanks to grade inflation and curriculum options, a well-trained dog could get a 4.0 in an easy program at an easy school. Meanwhile, other schools still grade on a harsh curve, especially for programs like pre-med and engineering. Basically, UGPA on its own is a near-meaningless metric.

zippernicus

Bronze

Post by zippernicus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm

californiauser wrote:
zippernicus wrote:Hi OP - I just finished 1L at UA as an out of state student with a fairly large scholarship. I've been really happy with my choice, but there are some downsides. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
What do you mean you're happy with your choice? Do you have a job lined up already?
Somehow I never saw this until now, but I did get a 1L SA position and am invited back next summer? So I can't totally say that I have a job lined up, but it is moving in that direction.

With my comment, I actually meant more that I was happy that I hadn't taken on a lot of debt and that the school has a very supportive/accessible faculty. I also really enjoy my classmates and am happy with environment as a whole.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:37 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:I will never understand how someone can get a 3.95 GPA and only score a 164 on the LSAT.
Why is it so hard to understand?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:24 pm

sandwhich wrote:
For most people, it is not.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:20 pm

sandwhich wrote:
Anyone with a 3.95 should be able to score a 170+ with enough studying. I refuse to believe that you can be dumb and maintain a 3.95 GPA.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Almost anyone with a 3.95 should be able to score a 170+ with enough studying.
I don't know what to say about this comment. Stop being a butt.

UA and UT are not on the same playing field. Anyone who thinks so is crazy. Case in point:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/career/prospe ... A-2014.pdf

http://www.law.ua.edu/wp-content/upload ... ummary.pdf

BigLaw+Fed Clerkship: UA=30/171= 17.5%
UT=163/351= 46.5%

The numbers speak for themselves. Friends don't let friends fall for the "UA is a top law school with national reach" line.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:59 pm

sandwhich wrote:
Anyone with a 3.95 should be able to score a 170+ with enough studying. I refuse to believe that you can be dumb and maintain a 3.95 GPA.
Have you seen what some people major in?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

UA and UT are not on the same playing field. Anyone who thinks so is crazy. Case in point:

UT=163/351= 46.5%

The numbers speak for themselves. Friends don't let friends fall for the "UA is a top law school with national reach" line.
What?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Have you seen who is taking the LSAT these days? A dental hygienist with only an Associates degree makes 80K starting. The people going to law school are idiots willing to fight tooth and nail for a 60k salary plus 200k+ in debt. I mean, we're talking about really dumb people here, for the most part.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Have you seen who is taking the LSAT these days? A dental hygienist with only an Associates degree makes 80K starting. The people going to law school are idiots willing to fight tooth and nail for a 60k salary plus 200k+ in debt. I mean, we're talking about really dumb people here, for the most part.
True enough, but it doesn't really rebut my point. A lot of those dumb people also happen to have 3.95 GPAs in underwater basketweaving.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Okay, let's come at this from a different angle. Let's stipulate that a 3.95 is a top 3% GPA for people who are ADMITTED to law school. Fair? A 170 is a top 3% LSAT score, last time I checked. The sample of people taking the LSAT is, on average, less intelligent than the people who are actually admitted to law school. Therefore, why on Earth would it be *harder* to get a 170 on the LSAT than it is to get a legitimate 3.95 GPA as reported by LSAC?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Retake

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:48 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Okay, let's come at this from a different angle. Let's stipulate that a 3.95 is a top 3% GPA for people who are ADMITTED to law school. Fair? A 170 is a top 3% LSAT score, last time I checked. The sample of people taking the LSAT is, on average, less intelligent than the people who are actually admitted to law school. Therefore, why on Earth would it be *harder* to get a 170 on the LSAT than it is to get a legitimate 3.95 GPA as reported by LSAC?
Because you can pick what classes you take in undergrad. You can't pick the questions on the LSAT.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

UT=163/351= 46.5%

Based on your own link UA's BigLaw+Fed Clerkship number is actually 33 / 171 = 19.3%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”