UT Austin v Alabama Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
csp2222

New

UT Austin v Alabama

Post by csp2222 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Choosing between Alabama and UT.

-in state COA for UT: $53,698 - $6,500 ($5k in merit aid, $1.5k in need based grant aid) = $47,198/yr
no stips, just good academic standing to retain scholly
-out of state COA for UA: $70,050 - $51,000 (full tuition scholarship + $1,000 living stipend) = 19k/yr
my living stipend would be increased to 2k for the second and third years of school upon obtaining AL residency
scholly stipulation: must maintain a 2.8 GPA

-I will be financing school through federal loans, and hope to benefit from public service loan repayment programs
-I'm from Texas and have lived here all my life. I don't have particular preference for where I end up working and living, but have generally enjoyed the austin area and think Texas probably has better legal markets. I have family who live in Tuscaloosa, and they could help significantly reduce some living expenses.
- I hope to work in public interest law in some capacity. I know the job market is not strong for the niche so I'm ready to get an initial job wherever I can.
- Highest LSAT was 164, UGPA was 3.95
- I've taken the LSAT twice. First time was a 159.

I have long wanted to attend UT law and believe it to a very strong school for public interest law and other areas of concentration of interest to me. Austin is a great city, and I believe I could do well there. I was a waitlist admit, and have recently attempted to negotiate for an increased scholarship with offers from Vandy (40% off tuition) and Alabama (mentioned above), but UT wouldn't budge. I have no undergrad debt. I am willing to take on debt, but would like to minimize it as much as possible.

I had a great visit at Alabama and think their small class size encourages a unique law school experience. I have a brother who recently graduated from AL law and he generally had a positive experience. He's still looking for a job though...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: UT Austin v Alabama

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:26 pm

With that GPA, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice not to retake. You could get a ton more $$$ to UT and get some T14 options.

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:38 pm

You should definitely choose The University of Alabama School of Law. I work at one of the most powerful law firms in the state of Alabama as a runner. A few have graduated from UA, including a valedictorian. If you have a full ride offer,that would be insane to turn down and they are a tier 1 law school . If you go there, and finished in the top 10%, you would be just as competitive as any t14 grad.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:41 pm

dreamlschool2021 wrote:You should definitely choose the University of Alabama school of law. I work at one of the most powerful law firms in the state of Alabama as a runner. A few have graduated from UA, including a valedictorian. If you have a full ride offer,that would be insane to turn down and they are a tier 1 law school . If you go there, and finished in the top 10%, you would be just as competitive as any t14 grad.
LOL, because you can totally assume being in the top 10% as a 0L. Stop giving your crazy advice to 0Ls.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri May 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Neither. That's too much for Alabama if you want to live in Texas. And that's too much at Texas for anyone. PSLF might help you, but it looks fragile enough that it might be gutted by the time you graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
dreamlschool2021 wrote:You should definitely choose the University of Alabama school of law. I work at one of the most powerful law firms in the state of Alabama as a runner. A few have graduated from UA, including a valedictorian. If you have a full ride offer,that would be insane to turn down and they are a tier 1 law school . If you go there, and finished in the top 10%, you would be just as competitive as any t14 grad.
LOL, because you can totally assume being in the top 10% as a 0L. Stop giving your crazy advice to 0Ls.
Hey that's one component. There is nothing insane about that. I'm not saying he can or cannot. The keyword there is "if". Since when did "if" sound like an absolute term. Outside of potential class rankings, in a cost versus benefit analysis, Alabama is clearly the most optimal choice.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:00 pm

dreamlschool2021 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Hey that's one component. There is nothing insane about that. I'm not saying he can or cannot. The keyword there is "if". Since when did "if" sound like an absolute term. Outside of potential class rankings, in a cost versus benefit analysis, Alabama is clearly the most optimal choice.
The most optimal choice is to retake and reapply, rather than hope to be in the top 10% at Alabama.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri May 29, 2015 1:06 pm

LOLOLOL

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Retake. But if you're going to be very silly and not retake, UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Retake. If you wanna waste your GPA, UT

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
LOLOLOL
This UA propaganda is bullshit.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:19 pm

If I had your GPA and wanted to go to law school, I would spend my entire life taking the LSAT. You're one good score away from going anywhere.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri May 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Yeah, retake. You moved up from a 159 to a 164. Do that again and get a 169 you will get a full ride to UT and probably some t14s. Don't go to law school yet. Sign up for Oct. LSAT and study your ass off. When you see other classmates over 200k in debt and you're not, you'll be glad you did

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

ROLL DAMN TIDE!!! LOL Yall found my true colors LMAO

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Yeah with a 167/3.6 I got almost $23k/year from UT this cycle so it seems like you should definitely be able to do better than the current offer on the table with a few points increase in your LSAT.

csp2222

New

Post by csp2222 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:47 pm

I have considered retaking again and waiting a cycle, but the worst case scenario of me losing my admission offer to UT and then not improving on the LSAT keeps coming into my mind. I suppose they may allow a deferred offer of enrollment, but it's not like my current LSAT improves their numbers or anything, so I'm not sure they would go for it. I think it's fair to say that I've ruled out Alabama barring any significant changes.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri May 29, 2015 1:51 pm

dreamlschool2021 wrote:ROLL DAMN TIDE!!! LOL Yall found my true colors LMAO
Nobody cares. Kindly GTFO and stop giving advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
dreamlschool2021 wrote:ROLL DAMN TIDE!!! LOL Yall found my true colors LMAO
Nobody cares. Kindly GTFO and stop giving advice.
Come on dude. You know I'm not serious in that post. I was being sarcastic. My original point, given the facts between #15UT and #23UA, there is not much difference. The money favors UA. Having said that, if he's deciding between retaking the LSAT, he should retake.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 pm

dreamlschool2021 wrote:given the facts between #15UT and #23UA, there is not much difference. The money favors UA.
this is moron speak

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
dreamlschool2021 wrote:given the facts between #15UT and #23UA, there is not much difference. The money favors UA.
this is moron speak
u
Ok I see we cannot have a civil conversation without personal attacks. What is moronic about a full tuition scholarship vs. almost none at all? You should do your research on both institutions. I could see if we are talking about the holy trinity or another high ranking T14. Plus the guy has family in Tuscaloosa. I have said that he should retake the LSAT if that were an option for him.

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Fri May 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
this is moron speak
Well in terms of employment, they're pretty even, but when it comes to Big Law and income tax, there is a pretty substantial difference and UT comes out the winner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreamlschool2021

New

Post by dreamlschool2021 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:41 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:
.d
this is moron speak[/pquote]
Thank you man. Now, that is a reasonable and grounded response, rather than a personal attack. I actually agree; employment rate is even, but Big Law opportunities are better. Like I said, it depends on what OP is looking for. Thanks for bringing actual facts to light.

t\Well in terms of employment, they're pretty even, but when it comes to Big Law and income tax, there is a pretty substantial difference and UT comes out the winner.
e

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:05 am

I will never understand how someone can get a 3.95 GPA and only score a 164 on the LSAT.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 am

OP- ignore anything about Alabama being said ITT. It's a total non-starter for you. It's out. Forget about it.

UT is a good choice if you want to work in TX long term. But it's also a non-starter at that cost of attendance. Do the math. You're going to be like 170K in debt when you graduate. That is insane. You absolutely must withdraw your application, retake, and reapply.

I go to UT, I like it, it has been really good to me so far. But it's unjustifiable at that cost. The LRAP isn't very good from what I understand, and PSLF is on iffy footing. You need to limit debt as much as possible. Luckily you have the GPA to go to UT for free. So focus on that.

SquedTheScholar

New

Post by SquedTheScholar » Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 am

RETAKE

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”