University of Utah vs. Arizona State- Help Please!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chip4chip

University of Utah vs. Arizona State- Help Please!!

Postby chip4chip » Wed May 27, 2015 8:03 pm

I could really use some advice in picking between Utah and Arizona State. I completed my undergrad at the University of Utah, and I like the weather, the mountains, and I have a lot of friends here. I was pretty set on going to Utah, when my acceptance to Arizona State finally came in. I went to the open house at Arizona and was blown away by that school too! Arizona also offered a scholarship that makes the cost of attending either school the same. I am interested in public health law and working as legal aid for non-profit agencies. Any advice?

AT9

Re: University of Utah vs. Arizona State- Help Please!!

Postby AT9 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Would you rather live in Arizona or Utah? It sounds like you have more ties to Utah and like it there, so that's probably the right answer. However, you didn't really give us very many details to help you pick. The school itself shouldn't matter much outside of placement and cost because you'll be there 3 years, while where you get your first job from either school is probably where you'll end up long term.

You said cost is the same, but how much is the cost? Both schools could be decent options depending on your goals/cost, but if either costs much more than 60-80K total debt at graduation, I personally wouldn't go.

Finally, if you can retake for a higher score, you should do that first and foremost.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 10:02 am

AT9's post above is right on target, in my opinion, so I'll repeat that it comes down to where you would prefer to live & work after law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 10:06 am

A comforting & also a very important benefit is that if you sit for the state bar exam in either state (Arizona or Utah), you'll be taking the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) which makes your score easily transferable among 16 different US state bars (jurisdictions). Plus, there are some law firms that have offices in multiple Western US states which include both Phoenix & Salt Lake City offices.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:27 am

Finally I get to scoop Bortles

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

SquedTheScholar

Postby SquedTheScholar » Sat May 30, 2015 10:37 am

RETAKE

chip4chip

Postby chip4chip » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Thank you all for posting a reply-that was exactly the advice I needed to hear! My brain was so clogged from the statistics and numbers from both, that I really just needed to choose based on the fit. Your replies gave me the confidence to trust in that intuition!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”