Iowa (Full ride) vs Michigan (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
krads153

Re: Iowa (Full ride) vs Michigan (Sticker)

Postby krads153 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Michigan at sticker would be the worst decision of your life
no way in the world the degree is worth that.

Really?? Has Michigan really dropped that steeply employment wise?

Most people with common sense will say any school including HYS isn't worth that kind've debt. Whats the point of making bank ($160,000 +) if you end up paying a shit ton ($3,000+) a months for 10 YEARS

Fair enough, I thought you meant more along the lines of UMich doesn't give you that good a shot of servicing that debt and that's why it would be such a bad decision. (Personally, I don't think I'd go over 100k for H and 150k for YS, but that's just me.)

I don't see what the difference is between HYS and other law schools to justify taking on way more debt for HYS...debt is still debt, and you'll still have to work at a firm to pay it off. (1) Many people don't last at a firm, and (2) many people who do last hate their lives. HYS only matters in that it will help you get your foot in the door - but practicing and lasting at a firm has nothing to do with your degree

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:49 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Michigan at sticker would be the worst decision of your life

Most people with common sense will say any school including HYS isn't worth that kind've debt. Whats the point of making bank ($160,000 +) if you end up paying a shit ton ($3,000+) a months for 10 YEARS

Fair enough, I thought you meant more along the lines of UMich doesn't give you that good a shot of servicing that debt and that's why it would be such a bad decision. (Personally, I don't think I'd go over 100k for H and 150k for YS, but that's just me.)

Why would you pay 50k more for S lmao

FrozenBananaStand

Postby FrozenBananaStand » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 pm

You should retake the LSAT.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:

Why would you pay 50k more for S lmao

It was my dream school and I love california lol. Stupid reason, but for me it matters that much.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 pm

krads153 wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:

I don't see what the difference is between HYS and other law schools to justify taking on way more debt for HYS...debt is still debt, and you'll still have to work at a firm to pay it off. (1) Many people don't last at a firm, and (2) many people who do last hate their lives. HYS only matters in that it will help you get your foot in the door - but practicing and lasting at a firm has nothing to do with your degree

HY and S to an extent open doors that aren't available for most students at the other t-14's: Academia, incredible clerking numbers, possibility of getting MBB, and of course the political clout that the two have when it comes to potentially running for office - are what makes those schools worth the extra debt. Plus, at those schools the chances of you striking out are pretty small, and the debt WILL be paid off, though your life will prob suck.

nreese970

Postby nreese970 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:07 am

A full ride at Iowa with a 161 and 3.3 and in at Mich? Something seems off...

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:52 am

bcmax wrote:getting 1L SA positions

If I'm interested in this, what should I prepare to get it?

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:53 am

nreese970 wrote:A full ride at Iowa with a 161 and 3.3 and in at Mich? Something seems off...

Yeah, I'm curious about it too. Great softs?

candidlatke

Postby candidlatke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 am

well he did say URM

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 am

creating a poll will give you a much better idea of what people think about your situation. if you are serious about this law school thing do at least two things

1 - read Paul Campos' book (it's $5 and takes maybe 2 hours to read -- it's short) here: http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Law-School-U ... B009D13IA6

2 - retake the June LSAT, because both of your options can have a significantly negative impact on your future compared to going to a t14 with a decent scholarship

cdavis1024

Postby cdavis1024 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Not necessarily here to disagree with the general consensus, but it's surprising to me that in this conversation about taking on a hoard of debt for Michigan and the struggles of paying it off, not ONE person has mentioned the incredible LRAP program that UMich has.

I'm a measly 0L with no debt (yet) from LS, but from the research I've done, Duke and UMich have very similar LRAP programs, and a friend of mine who graduated from Duke at sticker nearly 2 years ago (who is not working in PI, currently makes around 70k/year which in her market is plenty to single-handedly and comfortably support herself, her spouse, and her newborn) says that with LRAP and IBR, making her payments isn't even close to a problem for her. Duke allowed her a great deal of geographic flexibility that a regional school on scholarship might not have, and they were incredibly supportive when the firm that hired her after 2L Summer went under a month before graduation.

Now, I understand that Duke =/= Michigan, especially lately, and I also recognize that this is anecdotal. My point is that with good LRAP, debt isn't always as crippling as some make it out to be, especially when it's from a top school, including Michigan. That doesn't mean it's a good thing, or that it should be taken lightly. Just that it's not always a "ridiculous" outcome, either.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:32 pm

I'm three years out of law school now. I graduated with relatively low debt from Iowa, about $60k after my scholarship. For my career goals (criminal defense or prosecution), it was the right choice. Iowa would not have landed me in biglaw or some of the more saturated markets without top 10% grades, but that was never my goal.

I happened to be checking LinkedIn today and was surprised at how many of the class of 2013 were in desirable federal government jobs and mid-sized firms. Maybe 10-15% are in biglaw, including in markets like New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco. Only about 15-20% of my classmates are unemployed or in non-JD jobs, not that LinkedIn is entirely representative of employment stats. Immediately after graduating, I only saw a handful of people in those markets but maybe people are more mobile after 2-3 years of experience.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm

MadwomanintheAttic wrote:Michigan sticker is $270,473 with interest and assuming absolutely no aid (SOURCE: Law School Transparency). Don't do it. You've only taken the LSAT once; a few more points opens up a lot more opportunities for you. You owe it to yourself to retake and have access to better options.

Fuck me thats a lot. Thats almost 20k in interest/yr.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”