George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Thanks for your help

George Mason PT ($18-$20k)
2
100%
Catholic PT (Full-Ride)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 2

crazydavey27
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby crazydavey27 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 pm

...
Last edited by crazydavey27 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BasilHallward
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby BasilHallward » Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 am

I advise a retake, since you have another crack left. If you are steadfast, however, go to Catholic.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby haus » Wed May 20, 2015 12:26 am

Are either of these schools well represented in the area which you hope to be employed?

Now for a mundane question, as a potential part-time student who is working full time, have you tested out the commutes from you office to each of these schools (preferably at the time of day that you would need to make the trip to class)?

crazydavey27
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby crazydavey27 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:39 am

haus wrote:Are either of these schools well represented in the area which you hope to be employed?

Now for a mundane question, as a potential part-time student who is working full time, have you tested out the commutes from you office to each of these schools (preferably at the time of day that you would need to make the trip to class)?

....
Last edited by crazydavey27 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby haus » Wed May 20, 2015 7:17 am

Another difference to keep in mind between the 1L part time programs is that Mason runs a 5 night a week program compared to the 4 night per week used at the other schools on the DC area (including Catholic).

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 20, 2015 9:13 am

I'm not sure I understand. Do you or do you not have guaranteed employment as a JD with your current employer? (Or at least as guaranteed as anything can be looking four years into the future.)

crazydavey27
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby crazydavey27 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:I'm not sure I understand. Do you or do you not have guaranteed employment as a JD with your current employer? (Or at least as guaranteed as anything can be looking four years into the future.)


....
Last edited by crazydavey27 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby haus » Wed May 20, 2015 10:55 am

I would suggest looking for examples of people within your org who have made a similar transition through local PT programs. I suspect that you will find some, but not that many. It is hard to know what things will be like four years into the future, but landing a fed gov attorney slot does not look that easy right now.

There was a thread here a few months back that stated the FDIC anticipated reducing the number of term attorney positions by something like 200 positions over the course of a year or so. There are some benefits of being on the inside (an opportunity to get to know the decision makers, already have institutional knowledge), but it is a tough market so do not take these as guarantees. If there is some specific areas of knowledge that are important to your org, especially if they are not common knowledge amount entry level lawyers in may be in your interest to have or develop this knowledge, in hopes of building a little upon the insider advantage that you might have.

But be careful with the assumption that it will be an easy transition just because you manage to pick up a JD.

Good luck,

FirmBiz
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby FirmBiz » Wed May 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Mason, from my memory their employment statistics are better and the difference in tuition isn't significant enough to go to the lesser school in this case as you will be getting in state after a year.

crazydavey27
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby crazydavey27 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:45 pm

.....
Last edited by crazydavey27 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FirmBiz
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby FirmBiz » Mon May 25, 2015 11:30 am

crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?


Take the money and run

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby Winston1984 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?

Not endorsing the decision to go, but I would take $18k guaranteed over $20k with a top 50% stip.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 26, 2015 11:10 am

The George Mason offer seems fairly generous based on your LSAT score. Negotiate for $20,000 a year scholarship with only a "remain in good standing" stipulation. This should reduce the tuition cost to about $54,000 for all three years in total. Otherwise, Catholic seems like a good deal based on your needs & career goal.
The best answer, however, is probably to retake the LSAT & hope for an improvement that will motivate GMU to make a full tuition offer.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 26, 2015 11:23 am

After further thought, pursue a large scholarship offer (more than $20,000 per year) from George Mason since you already have a suitable & generous back-up offer from Catholic & because it is clear that GMU wants you & has scholarship funds available.

FirmBiz
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby FirmBiz » Fri May 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?

Not endorsing the decision to go, but I would take $18k guaranteed over $20k with a top 50% stip.


Honestly, if you're going to law school and you're worried about being in the top 50% so much that you would take the guaranteed, should you be going to law school?

I mean unless the grading system is designed so that a lot of these students lose the conditional scholarship, there should be no worries.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby pancakes3 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:13 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?

Not endorsing the decision to go, but I would take $18k guaranteed over $20k with a top 50% stip.


Honestly, if you're going to law school and you're worried about being in the top 50% so much that you would take the guaranteed, should you be going to law school?

I mean unless the grading system is designed so that a lot of these students lose the conditional scholarship, there should be no worries.


Stips are stips. Everyone would take 18k guaranteed over 20k with top 50% stip, even Yale. Do you even expected value?

FirmBiz
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby FirmBiz » Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
FirmBiz wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?

Not endorsing the decision to go, but I would take $18k guaranteed over $20k with a top 50% stip.


Honestly, if you're going to law school and you're worried about being in the top 50% so much that you would take the guaranteed, should you be going to law school?

I mean unless the grading system is designed so that a lot of these students lose the conditional scholarship, there should be no worries.


Stips are stips. Everyone would take 18k guaranteed over 20k with top 50% stip, even Yale. Do you even expected value?


I think if the schools are relatively close, you obviously take the guaranteed, but in this case, one is a bit better than the other.

User avatar
SquedTheScholar
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby SquedTheScholar » Sat May 30, 2015 10:36 am

RETAKE

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby downbeat14 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 2843
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: George Mason PT ($/$$) vs. Catholic PT (Full Ride)

Postby stego » Sun May 31, 2015 1:11 am

FirmBiz wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
crazydavey27 wrote:Circling back, Mason came back to me with $18,000 with good academic standing requirement, or the possibility of $20,000 with a Top 50% requirement. Any takers?

Not endorsing the decision to go, but I would take $18k guaranteed over $20k with a top 50% stip.


Honestly, if you're going to law school and you're worried about being in the top 50% so much that you would take the guaranteed, should you be going to law school?

I mean unless the grading system is designed so that a lot of these students lose the conditional scholarship, there should be no worries.


Everyone thinks they'll be above median, but only 50% can be. 1L grades are unpredictable and at most law schools there is a forced curve.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: uhwrestler and 4 guests