Ranking Matter? NYU v Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
krystalclear

Ranking Matter? NYU v Berkeley

Postby krystalclear » Mon May 18, 2015 4:57 pm

I have waited until the last minute to make my decision..

I'm paying about the same for both schools. Looking to work in BigLaw for a few years, interested in technology, IP, M&A (still TBD) .
In terms of location, I love NYC and can see myself living there for the next 5 years, but not beyond that.
Visited Berkeley and also loved SF, and can see Cali more long term. You could say I have a slight long-term West coast bias.

My number one goal is securing a job in BigLaw after graduation, and I have a hunch that NYU is better for that, but I'm not sure if it's just the higher ranking talking.

Should I be maying attention to NYU's higher rank? Or is BigLaw equally likely through Berkeley?

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Ranking Matter? NYU v Berkeley

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 18, 2015 5:04 pm

I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to NYU's higher 'rank' on us news. It's worth paying some attention to their higher large firm numbers and stronger OCI data though. Then again, for tech m&a, you'll probably want to open up SV/SF. So depending on the costs of each, Berkeley's a perfectly reasonable choice here.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon May 18, 2015 5:24 pm

krystalclear

Postby krystalclear » Mon May 18, 2015 7:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to NYU's higher 'rank' on us news. It's worth paying some attention to their higher large firm numbers and stronger OCI data though. Then again, for tech m&a, you'll probably want to open up SV/SF. So depending on the costs of each, Berkeley's a perfectly reasonable choice here.

Anyone know where to get info on which firms come to OCI at Berk? I just assume NYU placement in BigLaw is better but idk if that's because of other variables

Postby 03152016 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:27 pm

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Mon May 25, 2015 8:18 pm

krystalclear wrote:I have waited until the last minute to make my decision..

I'm paying about the same for both schools. Looking to work in BigLaw for a few years, interested in technology, IP, M&A (still TBD) .
In terms of location, I love NYC and can see myself living there for the next 5 years, but not beyond that.
Visited Berkeley and also loved SF, and can see Cali more long term. You could say I have a slight long-term West coast bias.

My number one goal is securing a job in BigLaw after graduation, and I have a hunch that NYU is better for that, but I'm not sure if it's just the higher ranking talking.

Should I be maying attention to NYU's higher rank? Or is BigLaw equally likely through Berkeley?

I always laugh when I see 0Ls posting this as "THEIR NUMBER ONE GOAL" as if biglaw is an end all, be all.

I think NYU/Columbia have real advantages for NYC biglaw (if that's what you want). Some NYC offices will recruit there and every other T-14 but not Berkeley/Stanford. There's also a disproportionate representations of NYU/Columbia grads in NYC biglaw, for whatever that's worth. That said, a lot of people burn out of biglaw before a "few years" so take on relatively little debt

Return to “Choosing a Law School”