WUSTL or Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school?

WUSTL
14
61%
Vanderbilt
9
39%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 2:39 pm

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
Vanderbilt: 136k (90k scholarship)
WUSTL: 120k (105k scholarship)

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Mostly family, but I have savings for wherever I live, books, food, etc.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I'm from Chicago and I'd like to work in Chicago. This is where I grew up and did my undergrad.

-Your general career goals
I'd like to work with corporate law, like private equity or M&A. I'd strongly prefer a big firm, but something smaller is fine, like 50+ is probably as small as I'd go. My background is in accounting and I'll have my CPA during OCI. A clerkship would be really nice, but it's not really necessary. Just think it'd be interesting for a little bit before going into a firm. Not necessary though.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
3.91/166

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
3

I applied to a bunch of schools and got waitlisted. I have to, at least, make an initial decision but I'm stuck. Just curious what everyone thinks.

My WLed schools are:
Notre Dame
Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Cornell
NYU
UVA
Duke

Thanks everyone.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Any post undergraduate work experience ?

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Any post undergraduate work experience ?

No, but I've worked as a tax accountant in a law firm for 3 of the 4 years in UG. Kind of started off as an internship a few years ago but then I've been given more responsibilities. Now I essentially do taxes or do tax planning depending on the season.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby hearsay77 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Did you apply late? I feel like you should have better options with that GPA. I'd pick WUSTL from the options you have, but thats a lot of debt for WUSTL and I don't think either of these options are worth it at the current price. Consider retaking the LSAT or reapplying if you don't get off waitlists with $$

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Did you apply late? I feel like you should have better options with that GPA. I'd pick WUSTL from the options you have, but thats a lot of debt for WUSTL and I don't think either of these options are worth it at the current price. Consider retaking the LSAT or reapplying if you don't get off waitlists with $$

Mid-November ish. I don't feel like that's late.

I agree, I thought I'd get accepted at one of the WL at least.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby hearsay77 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:17 pm

KMart wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Did you apply late? I feel like you should have better options with that GPA. I'd pick WUSTL from the options you have, but thats a lot of debt for WUSTL and I don't think either of these options are worth it at the current price. Consider retaking the LSAT or reapplying if you don't get off waitlists with $$

Mid-November ish. I don't feel like that's late.

I agree, I thought I'd get accepted at one of the WL at least.


Yeah, that's not late at all. Retake/get some work experience/reapply. Don't waste that GPA.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Are you willing to ask each school for more scholarship money ? Seems like a reasonable request with your numbers & qualifications especially in light of the fact that you are genuinely "on the fence" between the two law schools.

Your list of waitlist schools is impressive, but also a bit confusing. Did you apply late ? If so, sit out a year, get your CPA & reapply early next admissions cycle. Target Northwestern & Chicago since you want to live & work in Chicago. Of course, most T-14 law schools will place better in Chicago then will your current options.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:20 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Yeah, that's not late at all. Retake/get some work experience/reapply. Don't waste that GPA.


A couple more points plus work experience and you'd have such good options. Definitely the best move (although if you have no debt now and your family has resources to burn I don't think your options are terrible).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Since you didn't apply late, have someone review your law school personal statement & reconsider your references. You should have had more & better options, in my opinion, based on your numbers & background.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you willing to ask each school for more scholarship money ? Seems like a reasonable request with your numbers & qualifications especially in light of the fact that you are genuinely "on the fence" between the two law schools.

Your list of waitlist schools is impressive, but also a bit confusing. Did you apply late ? If so, sit out a year, get your CPA & reapply early next admissions cycle. Target Northwestern & Chicago since you want to live & work in Chicago. Of course, most T-14 law schools will place better in Chicago then will your current options.

I applied like Nov. 21st ish. I can find the exact date, but I wouldn't say I was 'late'. I did ask each school scholarships, although I haven't seen anything yet. Maybe I'll get an unsolicited bump, but I do doubt it.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Since you didn't apply late, have someone review your law school personal statement & reconsider your references. You should have had more & better options, in my opinion, based on your numbers & background.

My references were two professors and the partner at the firm I work with.

I didn't think my personal statement was going to blow anyone away, but I never thought I wrote poorly. I had one of my professors review it and help me a bit on it.

togoornottogo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby togoornottogo » Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Entering your numbers onto MyLSn.info shows decent odds for being accepted to NU or Chicago. It may be worth it to just sit out and reapply, also you may be able to better focus on the LSAT when you are out of school.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:26 pm

togoornottogo wrote:you may be able to better focus on the LSAT when you are out of school.

This might be true. I took the LSAT last June and took the bus from Northwestern to my final that evening. Was a great day. I'd have to wait another year and take in June 2016 I think?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 pm

If you want, I'll offer a brief review of your PS if you PM it to me.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you want, I'll offer a brief review of your PS if you PM it to me.

I'll find it and send you a PM. Might take a second and might not be in Google Docs, in which case I'd send it tonight after work and class.

Wait, wouldn't it be on the LSAC website?

Edit again - sent.
Last edited by KMart on Wed May 13, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Would your firm take you on after you finish up undergrad full time? If that's the case it's probably worth taking a year even if you can't bump up the LSAT. If you want to end up in Chicago NU would be great, and NU loves that work experience!

User avatar
ILoveYou
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby ILoveYou » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Really surprised by this, KM. Your numbers should have been good for an admit at NU with a decent scholly! My advice--barring one of the WLs admitting you with $$ or significant scholly bumps from WUSTL or Vandy--is to sit out the year, get some WE and possibly raise that LSAT a few points, then target NU and Chicago next cycle EARLY.

Feel free to PM me about your PS, recs, softs, etc. if you want another perspective on that; I'd be happy to take a look. Best of luck to you.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 13, 2015 4:20 pm

you have 2k posts, you should know that your goals arent likely to happen from either of those schools and that you should retake or not go.

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12572
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby smaug » Wed May 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Don't go.

togoornottogo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby togoornottogo » Wed May 13, 2015 4:31 pm

KMart wrote:
togoornottogo wrote:you may be able to better focus on the LSAT when you are out of school.

This might be true. I took the LSAT last June and took the bus from Northwestern to my final that evening. Was a great day. I'd have to wait another year and take in June 2016 I think?


Well that sounds like a nightmare scenario. I haven't taken the LSAT yet but when I take PTs I notice a serious drop when I have something else going on that day. I generally take my PTs first thing in the morning on the weekend having not gone out the day before. I once took a test after a full day of work. I dropped 4 points from my lowest recent test. I know your scenario was different, but still I think the stress of two major exams in one day would not be good.

LSAT June 2016 - That would mean you would likely enter school two years out of UG. I have found since graduating I have been way more focused on figuring out what I want and working towards my goals. Just my experience.

Or you could reapply next year and see what happens, and if you find yourself disgruntled with your outcomes then you take again.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby LawsRUs » Wed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm

KMart you are seriously underperforming your numbers here.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Thu May 14, 2015 1:22 pm

LawsRUs wrote:KMart you are seriously underperforming your numbers here.

I sort of agree. My hope is always a nice offer off the WL, but that's not always attainable.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby LawsRUs » Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 pm

KMart wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:KMart you are seriously underperforming your numbers here.

I sort of agree. My hope is always a nice offer off the WL, but that's not always attainable.


I think I read a recent blog post where Spivey said there would be more than average WL movement this year (I'm not sure if you've read it.). Are you open to sitting out? Your UIUC offer might have been a good choice idk.

Law1491
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby Law1491 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:48 pm

I am surprised you were WLed at Notre Dame. Did you write Why Notre Dame Essay? Did you write Why ... essays to other schools?

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3626
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: WUSTL or Vanderbilt

Postby KMart » Fri May 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Law1491 wrote:I am surprised you were WLed at Notre Dame. Did you write Why Notre Dame Essay? Did you write Why ... essays to other schools?

Me too at ND actually. I wrote one for ND once I was WLed.

I believe I wrote one for NU, Mich, Vandy, WUSTL, Duke, UVA, and Berk.

Once WLed I wrote one for Chi and ND and have sent LOCIs sort of along the same lines a why essay would have sounded for NYU and Cornell.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cogburn1984 and 4 guests