Pepperdine Vs. Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nataliesta

Pepperdine Vs. Loyola

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Good morning, I need some advice please. My deadline for decision is this friday. Ive gotten into Loyola and Pepperdine with a scholarship offer of 129k. If I accept Loyolas offer I can live at home and for Pepperdine, I would have to move. My main worry going into law school was loans so I'm not sure whether the difference in rank is significant enough for me to make the move. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Pepperdine Vs. Loyola

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

nataliesta wrote:Good morning, I need some advice please. My deadline for decision is this friday. Ive gotten into Loyola and Pepperdine with a scholarship offer of 129k. If I accept Loyolas offer I can live at home and for Pepperdine, I would have to move. My main worry going into law school was loans so I'm not sure whether the difference in rank is significant enough for me to make the move. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. are there any contingencies on the scholarship offers (i.e. GPA minimum to keep the scholarship)?
2. what are your career aspirations?

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 pm

chimp wrote:
nataliesta wrote:Good morning, I need some advice please. My deadline for decision is this friday. Ive gotten into Loyola and Pepperdine with a scholarship offer of 129k. If I accept Loyolas offer I can live at home and for Pepperdine, I would have to move. My main worry going into law school was loans so I'm not sure whether the difference in rank is significant enough for me to make the move. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. are there any contingencies on the scholarship offers (i.e. GPA minimum to keep the scholarship)?

For Loyola, I have to remain in the top half of my class and for Pepperdine its a GPA of 2.85 which is approximately the top 75% of the class. I think I want to study patent law but in all honesty I don't know enough about it to base my decision off of that.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:57 pm

nataliesta wrote:
chimp wrote:

For Loyola, I have to remain in the top half of my class and for Pepperdine its a GPA of 2.85 which is approximately the top 75% of the class. I think I want to study patent law but in all honesty I don't know enough about it to base my decision off of that.

do you have a hard science background? are you aware that the job placement for these schools is less than stellar? I would only go if the cost is nearly zero and you can get the scholarship stipulations removed or reduced. between Loyola and Pepperdine, I would go to the cheaper one. they are pretty much equals.

also, how many times have you taken the lsat?

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 1:16 pm

chimp wrote:
nataliesta wrote:
chimp wrote:

do you have a hard science background? are you aware that the job placement for these schools is less than stellar? I would only go if the cost is nearly zero and you can get the scholarship stipulations removed or reduced. between Loyola and Pepperdine, I would go to the cheaper one. they are pretty much equals.

also, how many times have you taken the lsat?

Yes, I know job prospects aren't that great. That's why I am leaning toward Loyola as my only loan will be the 20k for tuition they aren't covering. I just wanted to know whether the difference in rank would play against me significantly.

Ive taken the LSAT twice, my higher score being a 162. Ive also gotten into Irvine (45k), Davis, SD (129k). All of which I would have to relocate for so I feel that one of these two are financially my best options.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Seconding the background question. If you want to do IP law, you pretty much need a BS in a hard science/engineering and at that preferable a Masters/PhD.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... epperdine/

Some tidbits:
-Back in 2011-2012, 49% lost their scholarship at Loyola, 30% at Pepperdine
-BigLaw is very unlikely at Pepperdine (5%) and slightly higher at Loyola (13%) but def not as high as USC/UCLA (38%/35%).

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:18 pm

nataliesta wrote:Yes, I know job prospects aren't that great. That's why I am leaning toward Loyola as my only loan will be the 20k for tuition they aren't covering. I just wanted to know whether the difference in rank would play against me significantly.

Ive taken the LSAT twice, my higher score being a 162. Ive also gotten into Irvine (45k), Davis, SD (129k). All of which I would have to relocate for so I feel that one of these two are financially my best options.

Even tho Pepperdine is ranked "better", Loyola actually has better employment statistics.
What are your career goals and where would you prefer to work?

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Tue May 12, 2015 1:25 pm

It's become blasé to say retake, but retake/reapply seems like the way to go here (assuming a workable GPA).

If either of these schools was free and without stipulation, than maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the situation here.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:38 pm

L’Étranger wrote:It's become blasé to say retake, but retake/reapply seems like the way to go here (assuming a workable GPA).

If either of these schools was free and without stipulation, than maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the situation here.

I'd say almost ANY GPA is worth a retake/ "workable"......as long as it is above a 3.0 paired with a stellar LSAT can give OP much better options

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 1:39 pm

L’Étranger wrote:It's become blasé to say retake, but retake/reapply seems like the way to go here (assuming a workable GPA).

My GPA is 3.75

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Last edited by KD35 on Fri May 29, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Tue May 12, 2015 1:57 pm

nataliesta wrote:

My GPA is 3.75

Well, gonna say the obvious here then --> if you were able to pair that 3.75 with say a 168+ your options will look considerably different.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:58 pm

KD35 wrote:
chimp wrote:
I would only go if the cost is nearly zero and you can get the scholarship stipulations removed or reduced.

You won't get the stipulation removed from Pepperdine.

what about Loyola? I remember trying to negotiate the stip away when I applied there and they wouldn't budge so I told em to go fuck themselves.

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm

chimp wrote:
KD35 wrote:
chimp wrote:
I would only go if the cost is nearly zero and you can get the scholarship stipulations removed or reduced.

what about Loyola? I remember trying to negotiate the stip away when I applied there and they wouldn't budge so I told em to go fuck themselves.

I may sound naive but am I really at a great risk of losing my scholarship when all I have to do is remain in the top 75% of the class?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm

nataliesta wrote:I may sound naive but am I really at a great risk of losing my scholarship when all I have to do is remain in the top 75% of the class?

probably not to be honest. and if you end up in the bottom 25% of the class, you should probably just drop out anyway. I think the issue is that attending either of these schools is extremely risky regardless of scholarship, which is why you want to get the cost as close to zero as possible. your gpa is stellar. I would retake and reapply next cycle if possible. did you apply to usc/ucla?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm

nataliesta wrote:
chimp wrote:
KD35 wrote:
chimp wrote:

I may sound naive but am I really at a great risk of losing my scholarship when all I have to do is remain in the top 75% of the class?

http://www.lls.edu/media/loyolalawschoo ... 202014.pdf 62/252 lost their scholarships in 2013-2014
http://law.pepperdine.edu/admissions/co ... report.pdf 30/112 lost their scholarships in 2013-2014.

But with your GPA, I'd highly look into retaking.

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

chimp wrote:
nataliesta wrote:I may sound naive but am I really at a great risk of losing my scholarship when all I have to do is remain in the top 75% of the class?

probably not to be honest. and if you end up in the bottom 25% of the class, you should probably just drop out anyway. I think the issue is that attending either of these schools is extremely risky regardless of scholarship, which is why you want to get the cost as close to zero as possible. your gpa is stellar. I would retake and reapply next cycle if possible. did you apply to usc/ucla?

Yes, I didn't get into either. I think the fact that my undergrad is from Cal State Northridge played a part in that. I agree that if i end up doing that poorly to be the lower 25%, I shouldn't be in law school to begin with. I really didn't want to take a year off but from the sounds of everyone's advice, it may be best. I actually thought I was in much better shoes than I seem to be after hearing all your advice. If I live at home and only have to pull out 20k for the entire 3 years, that seems pretty close to zero no? =\

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:17 pm

nataliesta wrote:
chimp wrote:

Yes, I didn't get into either. I think the fact that my undergrad is from Cal State Northridge played a part in that. I agree that if i end up doing that poorly to be the lower 25%, I shouldn't be in law school to begin with. I really didn't want to take a year off but from the sounds of everyone's advice, it may be best. I actually thought I was in much better shoes than I seem to be after hearing all your advice. If I live at home and only have to pull out 20k for the entire 3 years, that seems pretty close to zero no? =\

It's not because of your CSUN degree. It's because your 162 is way below USC/UCLA's median which I believe is at a 166/167.

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 pm

definitely look into retaking. i was able to bump my 162 up to a 167 and am looking at a near full ride at usc with my 3.8x. the hard work up front will pay dividends in the long run.

eta: but if you're stubborn and won't retake like I almost was, go with loyola since it is the better option at a lower cost

eta: plus if you can manage usc, since you could live at home for loyola i would assume you could live at home for usc
Last edited by dustybottoms7 on Tue May 12, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 2:20 pm

nlee10 wrote:
nataliesta wrote:
chimp wrote:

It's not because of your CSUN degree. It's because your 162 is way below USC/UCLA's median which I believe is at a 166/167.

Yes i'm sure that played a much bigger role, but a friend of mine with a 158 got waitlisted at both and his undergrad is from UCLA. I assumed that was the deciding factor. Our GPA's are almost equal.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Taking time off blows, but it can be incredibly rewarding. Law school is a risky proposition anywhere, but especially places like these. If you have the capacity to do better (which you almost certainly do) you owe it to yourself to take the time to get this right.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 pm

nataliesta wrote:Yes i'm sure that played a much bigger role, but a friend of mine with a 158 got waitlisted at both and his undergrad is from UCLA. I assumed that was the deciding factor. Our GPA's are almost equal.

Just to play devil's advocate, how was your friend's LSAT and is he/she an URM?

nataliesta

Postby nataliesta » Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 pm

nlee10 wrote:
nataliesta wrote:Yes i'm sure that played a much bigger role, but a friend of mine with a 158 got waitlisted at both and his undergrad is from UCLA. I assumed that was the deciding factor. Our GPA's are almost equal.

His LSAT was a 158, and no he isn't an URM. Poli Sci degree from UCLA.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:38 pm

nlee10 wrote:

I think it was a 158...

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue May 12, 2015 2:44 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
nataliesta wrote:

My GPA is 3.75

Well, gonna say the obvious here then --> if you were able to pair that 3.75 with say a 168+ your options will look considerably different.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”