UC Hastings vs. Penn State vs. Brooklyn Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Vader Ginsburg

Re: UC Hastings vs. Penn State vs. Brooklyn Law School

Postby Vader Ginsburg » Sun May 10, 2015 1:32 pm

justkeepswimming794 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Vader Ginsburg wrote:You have to grind and get lucky to make biglaw here, that's for sure. I'm just suggesting that there's a gamble to make either way. You're either betting you won't burn out of biglaw before you can make a gigantic dent in that $250k, or you're betting you can stand out at a school where (assuming you're a committed, disciplined, focused student) more than three-quarters of your classmates can't touch you, where they're not even in the same league with you. It takes confidence and dedication, but it can be done.

You are about to graduate, are apparently light years ahead of more than 3/4 of your classmates intellectually, and still don't have biglaw lined up despite three years of hustle and networking. That seems to push strongly against your earlier comment that "for biglaw in general BLS is not a bad place to be."

VG- I'm not going disagree with you about your school and the opportunities there which i literally know nothing about, personally.

I'm just saying that the message you're sending to OP is that this is even a feasible/doable thing if you "grind" and work hard enough? i just don't think thats the whole truth man. i bet you could be the best student and very top of the class and if you happened to not be well connected/get extremely lucky/have a partner want to leave his or her spouse for you, you're probably screwed out of big law. I'm really not trying to say it doesnt happen - just trying to let OP know that this is super not something to put all eggs (or some eggs, or maybe even one whole egg) in one basket for, when you really cant rely on it.
just saying, doesnt seem like it should be the basis for a major decision, like funding a law school tuition

Parkcardy- if you are not set on big law, pick the school that has a local market you would most like to work in once you figure out your cost of attendance etc. if you have a good personality and you don't mind staying local, definitely do not underestimate the power of networking. its just that only goes so far with big law

aside though- I would highly recommend not going to hastings. unless you want to be a PD its one of the roughest markets. theres berkley and stanford right there. just choose wisely and don't be discouraged about taking the lsat again. it could open lots of doors for you both financially and opportunity wise.

Hey, I can agree to disagree with that. It's all a matter of perspective and risk preference. Thanks for being respectful of my choices.

I don't have much else to say, except that OP seems to have a reasonable outlook on things. Minimize your debt as long as it doesn't mean going to an absolute garbage school, and figure out the rest later. PM me if you want. Good luck!

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sun May 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Vader Ginsburg wrote:Minimize your debt as long as it doesn't mean going to an absolute garbage school

Yeah I mean if you don't want biglaw this is crucial. problem is, these are absolute garbage schools, and OP does not have good scholarships to them.

Because COL for Brooklyn alone is like 100K debt, it's a non-starter with your (lack of a good) scholarship offer. The average outcome is not being a lawyer after ten months of searching for a job post graduation. The average lawyer (i.e. the lucky graduates) is not making enough money to live comfortably in NYC and pay down the COL debt.

Hastings' employment outlook is just as bad, and the debt is just as bad/much worse. Total non starter.

Penn State should not be attended without both ties to PA and a burning desire to be in PA. That's definitely not you.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Sun May 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
Vader Ginsburg wrote:Minimize your debt as long as it doesn't mean going to an absolute garbage school

Yeah I mean if you don't want biglaw this is crucial. problem is, these are absolute garbage schools, and OP does not have good scholarships to them.

Because COL for Brooklyn alone is like 100K debt, it's a non-starter with your (lack of a good) scholarship offer. The average outcome is not being a lawyer after ten months of searching for a job post graduation. The average lawyer (i.e. the lucky graduates) is not making enough money to live comfortably in NYC and pay down the COL debt.

Hastings' employment outlook is just as bad, and the debt is just as bad/much worse. Total non starter.

Penn State should not be attended without both ties to PA and a burning desire to be in PA. That's definitely not you.

Agreed. These schools are completely scatter shot and will most likely yield sadness. Moreover, the scholarship numbers are nowhere near worth considering.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sun May 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Vader Ginsburg wrote:I lied when I said the top 25 firm person is someone I know -- it's actually me. I don't have the job yet, but it's looking really good and I have two solid backups if it falls through (an in-house gig and a mid-size firm). I got the opportunity through three years of very persistent networking; if that's not your thing and you need to coast into biglaw on pedigree, that's cool, but don't come to BLS.

The debt's not great, but a lot of it was my own fault and avoidable. Not summering meant additional PLUS loans I wouldn't have had otherwise. If I'd been more responsible, I'd have about $70-75k instead. Huge lesson learned at an early age.

I'll gladly talk more about my situation on PM.

Seriously, let us know when you pay back that $100k. I have big law in TX and it is still going to suck to pay back the $100k I owe. Consider the fact that your outcome probably puts you in the top 5-10% at BLS.

Also, how would being "more responsible" with money have resulted in you getting an SA?

Vader Ginsburg

Postby Vader Ginsburg » Sun May 10, 2015 3:32 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Vader Ginsburg wrote:I lied when I said the top 25 firm person is someone I know -- it's actually me. I don't have the job yet, but it's looking really good and I have two solid backups if it falls through (an in-house gig and a mid-size firm). I got the opportunity through three years of very persistent networking; if that's not your thing and you need to coast into biglaw on pedigree, that's cool, but don't come to BLS.

The debt's not great, but a lot of it was my own fault and avoidable. Not summering meant additional PLUS loans I wouldn't have had otherwise. If I'd been more responsible, I'd have about $70-75k instead. Huge lesson learned at an early age.

I'll gladly talk more about my situation on PM.

Seriously, let us know when you pay back that $100k. I have big law in TX and it is still going to suck to pay back the $100k I owe. Consider the fact that your outcome probably puts you in the top 5-10% at BLS.

Also, how would being "more responsible" with money have resulted in you getting an SA?

That's not what I meant. I didn't want biglaw at all around the time of OCI, because I was doing well at an in-house job and wanted to stick with it because I really liked the work, even though I was making a fraction of what SAs do for those eight weeks or so. I'm saying it was irresponsible of me not to gun hard for an SA spot and (assuming I got one, which I DO understand is something of a leap) use the money to either make an early loan payment or help with my 3L living expenses and bar study. I only came around to biglaw at the last possible second and got lucky that this opening was there within my network.

I don't recommend that anyone do things exactly the way I did. Obviously figure out what you want earlier, make a plan and stick to it. But my friends who wanted biglaw from the beginning, who had the personality and grades and background to be there, generally landed where they wanted or got a very good consolation prize.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”