USF with scholarship or SCU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mochimo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 3:53 pm

USF with scholarship or SCU

Postby mochimo » Sat May 09, 2015 4:11 pm

1
Last edited by mochimo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10862
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby BigZuck » Sat May 09, 2015 4:20 pm

mochimo wrote:I am working at a big law firm in the South Bay and I think there's a chance they would take me as an attorney once I graduate provided I go to a decent program.

What is this thought based on?

How are you quantifying "a chance"?

And how are you defining "decent program"?

Make no mistake, these are two of the very worst law schools in existence. I'm not sure they are justified if they are totally free unless you truly have a guaranteed job. I can't think of any big northern CA firms that would happily hire someone from one of these schools unless they absolutely crushed their 1st year grades.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby Traynor Brah » Sat May 09, 2015 4:43 pm

no and no. what zuck said. you're dreaming, dude.

adil91
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby adil91 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:46 pm

USC=SCU?

User avatar
stego
Posts: 2859
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby stego » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

adil91 wrote:USC=SCU?


USF = University of San Francisco
SCU = Santa Clara University

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby rpupkin » Sat May 09, 2015 6:18 pm

mochimo wrote:I've been admitted to both USF and SCU. Considering that I have a 2.44 undergrad GPA / 156 LSAT, I consider it a miracle I'm admitted to either. Must be the resume, maybe? No idea...

You may have no idea, but I have one: USF and SCU are desperate for paying students because applicants are slowly realizing that these law schools are terrible investments for anyone interested in working as a lawyer. The fact that these schools are admitting students with your numbers—with USF even offering you a sizable scholarship—should tell you something. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you need to to remain sober here. You're on the verge of making a poor life decision.

Look, if the law firm you're working at now said "you'll have a job here if you get a law degree and pass the bar," then USF with that scholarship would be ok. But it doesn't sound like your situation is nearly that certain. Don't do it.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby Redamon1 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Unfortunately those are not good schools, and turning them down this far down the rabbit hole is hard to do (though it's definitely the right thing to do). Fortunately you found TLS in time to get a full sense of the consequences of attending these schools. They will most likely put you in high debt without offering viable employment options upon graduation. If you haven't already, you should spend some time browsing this website:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/santaclara/

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... isco/2014/

Study hard and retake the LSAT if you are set on law school, or consider other career options.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby PoopNpants » Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 pm

"Noooooo don't do it, please don't do it" - Drake voice

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Neither. Don't go and retake.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 09, 2015 7:42 pm

PoopNpants wrote:Image

NorCalLaw
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby NorCalLaw » Sat May 09, 2015 8:18 pm

You need at least a 165 to begin opening even the longshot doors. Keep working where you're at and keep studying/retaking until you hit a high enough score to, e.g., get a full ride at SCU and go through with $0 in debt.

mochimo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby mochimo » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mochimo wrote:I am working at a big law firm in the South Bay and I think there's a chance they would take me as an attorney once I graduate provided I go to a decent program.

What is this thought based on?

How are you quantifying "a chance"?

And how are you defining "decent program"?

Make no mistake, these are two of the very worst law schools in existence. I'm not sure they are justified if they are totally free unless you truly have a guaranteed job. I can't think of any big northern CA firms that would happily hire someone from one of these schools unless they absolutely crushed their 1st year grades.


BigZuck
I talked to the lawyers I work with and they said they would support me in trying to get into law school. Two of the lawyers I work with regularly (one of whom is a partner) wrote recommendation letters for me. Also, 3 of the new hires at my firm this year came from Santa Clara after working as summer associates last year. I'm not guaranteed a job as a lawyer of course, but these are reasons why I feel like I do have a chance. I don't have the grades to get into Stanford or Berkeley and even if I do push back another year to study to take the LSAT again, no guarantee I will do any better so for me, this is a case of making the best hand with the cards you've got.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or SCU

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat May 09, 2015 8:36 pm

There's a difference b/w writing you a letter of recommendation and giving you a job. They may like you, and want you to be happy. Writing you a letter of recommendation is a small favor, and different from giving you job. I don't think a 156 and these schools is that far fetched. You may be above the median, or it's possible the chance your firm did take you back (even if only 5%) is valuable to schools that have sub-5% placement. From their perspective, USNews rankings aren't as valuable as it once was and people pay more attention to the raw employment #'s. If you're a law school dean at USF looking long term, somebody working for a Fortune 500 company or at a big firm before law school may be more valuable than a 160.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 pm

mochimo wrote:BigZuck
I talked to the lawyers I work with and they said they would support me in trying to get into law school. Two of the lawyers I work with regularly (one of whom is a partner) wrote recommendation letters for me. Also, 3 of the new hires at my firm this year came from Santa Clara after working as summer associates last year. I'm not guaranteed a job as a lawyer of course, but these are reasons why I feel like I do have a chance. I don't have the grades to get into Stanford or Berkeley and even if I do push back another year to study to take the LSAT again, no guarantee I will do any better so for me, this is a case of making the best hand with the cards you've got.


That does not really mean much. Unless they flat out said they would totally hire you, what they say does not even slightly indicate they will hire you. Of course they'll support you to get into law school. What employer would not do that unless you were a shit worker? Getting a LOR doesn't come close to indicating whether they will hire you or not.

With regards to the three people that made it from SCU, that is not close to a likely outcome. Every year, people near the top of even bad schools find good jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/santaclara/

Last year, 10% of SCU grads ended up in large firms. This means 90% did not. Furthermore, only 35.2% of the last graduating class found jobs as lawyers. Not talking about great jobs, just ANY job that required a JD. 35.2%. Let that sink in. You are way more likely to not end up as an attorney than getting a JD required job.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or SCU

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Also, you don't have to get into Berk or Stanford to stand a chance. Get a 170+ and you can go to a T-14. Or get high enough of a LSAT score and go to UC Davis for free/close to free. If you're aiming for NorCal, UC Davis for cheap should be the lowest you should ever go.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby rpupkin » Sat May 09, 2015 9:27 pm

mochimo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
mochimo wrote:I am working at a big law firm in the South Bay and I think there's a chance they would take me as an attorney once I graduate provided I go to a decent program.

What is this thought based on?

How are you quantifying "a chance"?

And how are you defining "decent program"?

Make no mistake, these are two of the very worst law schools in existence. I'm not sure they are justified if they are totally free unless you truly have a guaranteed job. I can't think of any big northern CA firms that would happily hire someone from one of these schools unless they absolutely crushed their 1st year grades.


BigZuck
I talked to the lawyers I work with and they said they would support me in trying to get into law school. Two of the lawyers I work with regularly (one of whom is a partner) wrote recommendation letters for me. Also, 3 of the new hires at my firm this year came from Santa Clara after working as summer associates last year. I'm not guaranteed a job as a lawyer of course, but these are reasons why I feel like I do have a chance. I don't have the grades to get into Stanford or Berkeley and even if I do push back another year to study to take the LSAT again, no guarantee I will do any better so for me, this is a case of making the best hand with the cards you've got.

I don't get you, OP. If your goal is to work at this firm, and if you're talking to the firm's lawyers and summer associates about law school, why are you asking us whether to go to USF or Santa Clara? Why don't you ask them? We're not going to be able to tell you about the hiring practices of this unnamed firm.

What we can tell you is that the majority of graduates of both of these law schools end up with a lot of debt and no legal job nine months after graduation. So, based on what we know, we're going to tell you that "making the best hand with the cards you got" means not going to law school. If you're dealt a 7-2 off suit, the best decision is to fold.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or SCU

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat May 09, 2015 9:40 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or SCU

Postby JohannDeMann » Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm

ask the partners where you should go.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: USF with scholarship or USC

Postby usn26 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:01 am

mochimo wrote:I don't have the grades to get into Stanford or Berkeley and even if I do push back another year to study to take the LSAT again, no guarantee I will do any better so for me, this is a case of making the best hand with the cards you've got.


Yes but you have other cards you can play. You could continue to work, in a job, where you are employed, and making money (which is more than most graduates of those schools can say). You could also hold out, study, retake the LSAT, and save thousands and go to a better school with maybe a half a chance at becoming a real lawyer. You could join the Army and at least go to these schools for free. You don't need to invite disaster like this.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 12481632, Google [Bot], Leliana, lymenheimer, sspeckk and 5 guests